Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am wondering how other riders feel about the possible safety benefits of crash bars. I am thinking about putting some on my Shadow to protect my leg should I ever go down. From what I have read, there is some controversy as to whether they help at all, and some studies say they can actually worsen injuries. But, common sense says, that if your leg has a space to be without being crushed between the bike and the road, that is a good thing. I am a paramedic and have been to quite a few motorcycle accidents. Some were minor and some quite bad (fatal). Two things I have learned: Helmets are a GOOD thing. They save lives. (Not required in Maine). I did see one accident with crash bars on the bike. Someone pulled out in front of a bike (imagine that!). The rider, going about 40 mph, swerved to avoid impact and went down. The bike was badly damaged on the left side, and had slid along the road a fair distance. He had crash bars, gloves, chaps, and a helmet. When we arrived on scene, he was talking to the police officers and signed off. I don't believe the result would have been the same without the safety equipment. So, I am leaning towards getting bars, but wondering how others feel and any experiences you may have had with them. By the way, I encourage helmet use, and always wear one, but do not agree with helmet laws. I believe in freedom and education, not restrictive legislation.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts