Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member here and wondering if someone can send a link to some decent but inexpensive crash bars. I do have floorboards and I'm wondering if they will hold up in the event I lay the bike down. When I put my wife on the back for a ride... I struggle with balance coming to a stop.

·
Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
7,017 Posts
Welcome to the forum, if your a new rider get used to riding by yourself before taking on a passenger, also a passenger needs to know how to ride, if they're constantly shifting around one the back of the bike it makes it harder for you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I bought mine off of Amazon. And that was the cheapest one I could find after I did Lots of research.
Ramie is right by the way. I would ensure that you are completely comfortable and confident riding by yourself first and then ensure your passenger knows how to be a good passenger before you take of on a ride.
Ride Safe!

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
The term crash bar is a misnomer. They are little more than 'engine guards' and at best might save a leg in a stand still drop.

But, it sounds like you need to learn to ride. I can come to a complete stop without putting my feet on with or without anyone on the back.

Also, you 'new' people need to learn to tell us what bike you have :) If you have a 1500 lb dresser, thats most likely your problem ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just some experience to pass along, and maybe help steer you away from a bad decision. I had a Lindby installed. The Linbar. Sharp looking highway bars. The phrase "highway bars" is key here. Even the Lindby website will tell you that they are not for crashing.

I was coming home from Little Sturgis, 5 miles from home, when an 80 lb labrador tried to sneak up under my front tire. In spite of my best efforts to avoid her, I was no match. She got her head/collar got stuck on the bottom of the bar. I dragged her about 10 yards before the bars folded up like an empty aluminum coke can. I bounced over the dog. The bar came back so far it messed up my floorboards.

The dog lived. The bars were removed and thrown out with the trash. :)

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
New member here and wondering if someone can send a link to some decent but inexpensive crash bars. I do have floorboards and I'm wondering if they will hold up in the event I lay the bike down. When I put my wife on the back for a ride... I struggle with balance coming to a stop.
Quality Highway Bars will help to protect your legs and most of the bike if you happen to drop it at a standstill. All 3 of my bikes had/have them, but they were all bolted directly to the frame. The bars I had mounted on my 96 Kawi KZ900Z1 spanned across the top and u-bolted to the upper frame, the bottom bolted to the lower frame bolts. I was hit at an intersection by an inattentive driver on the left side of the bike and the bars protected me and the bike without folding. Check out JC Whitney, that's where I've purchased mine from.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.