Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm new here and I want to start out saying how much I love/loved my Shadow. Unfortunately, I was in a wreak the other day causing quite a bit of damage to my bike. I was lucky enough to escape with just a broken toe due to my gear and helmet. I'm trying to get all the parts I need to rebuild it but its been quite difficult so I'm reaching out to the online community for help and guidance. I have not been able to find alot of the parts I need on ebay. I've included some pictures of the bike for reference. Any help as I begin down this rebuild journey will be greatly appreciated!!
Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive lighting Motor vehicle
Vehicle Fuel tank Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire
Bicycle Tire Bicycle handlebar Bicycle tire Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive lighting Automotive tire

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
19,363 Posts
Sorry to her about your 700. Ebay can be our friend however.
If the forks are OK that is great.
If the tank is not rusty fix it, it already was repainted once.
Or dent it in on the sides, like some of the guys do.
A used tank is expensive and rusty or dented anyway.
See if you can epoxy and reinforce the tach mount.

·
Registered
2003 VT1100C Spirit
1,195 Posts
Howdy Ken1983!

Too bad about your wreck, but glad you're OK. Judging from your pictures, it's a good thing you were wearing proper riding gear.

Good luck on your re-build. Looking forward to seeing the pictures as you progress.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Agree with Swifty if the frame and forks are good fix the tank set down with some body filler and teach yourself how to do it you can add more or sand off until you get what looks good to the shape of the tank spray primer will help you see what it will look like in the end before paint and is made for sanding to finish fine edges. Adding pin strips or decals can cover even more. If you can't epoxy the tachometer housing take it off you are not watching it for use anyway you are shifting on sound. If you need to you could use parts for another model to take the place of what can't be found a little rewiring or bracket mods can make for good use.You can get it back on the road for what your using it for with a little work and thinking outside the box. Good luck with what you decide on.

·
Registered
87 Posts
My son went into a corner waay hot and his Honda looked just like yours looks (he did shatter the ball joint in his wrist ) The used bike market here is so vibrant he was able to sell it for good money and get a better bike.
Cheers! Mark

·
Registered
'83 VT750C; ‘21 SV650A
3,208 Posts
Jealous that your indicator light panel looks so fresh and new! The letters are all faded on mine. I would also keep my eye open for a good parts or donor bike if one comes up for sale (no title needed) for several hundred dollars close to you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Progress so far,
First off, your guys rock!! Such an arms wide open community. Thanks for all the suggestions and ebay listing links!! I'm going to try to rebuild and its currently underway. Progress pictures below.
Has anyone come across an undamaged tach with cover and throttle handle? Those seem to be the hardest parts to find undamaged or at least usable..
What is the handlebar diameter? I'm thinking its 1" but I want to make sure before I order a new one.
Has anyone converted the analog speedo to a digital one?
Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Car Bumper
Hand tool Wood Tool Metalworking hand tool Hardwood
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Fuel tank Motor vehicle Tread

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
19,363 Posts
The older bikes are 7/8" diameter.
Nice job getting your bike back to usable.
The tank is looking good.
Blow some air into the small vent tube under the tank to make sure it is clear and didn't get pinched off in the side smash. On my 1983 it has this shape inside looking at it with a small mirror.
It vents out from the small reserve tank under the seat.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Tank is looking good. Your can do this for sure custom motorcycles have been built sense they were put on the road. Look at the bikes chopped and custom built from the 60s and 70s they caused the creation of the factory cruisers. There is a build posted here somewhere I'll try to find it I really liked the idea he did with his girl tank. You may really enjoy building yours and find a little side hustle restoring bikes for resale who knows. Good luck keep us posted.

·
Registered
22 Posts
When you get to the finishing touches before your final paint work on any scratches and edges of the filler with fine sand paper use sandable primer to help fill in the scratches and scuffs until they are gone if you can see them now you will see them when painted darker color paint seems to show them more .

·
Registered
2013 Honda Shadow Phantom 750
4,401 Posts
Another trick to finding imperfections is to spray the item with gloss black paint. It will show any imperfections and when lightly sanded with fine grit paper it will reveal the micro scratches.

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
19,363 Posts
I fixed my tank dent with Bondo and filler and black engine paint and finished with a 2 part clear coat, so it is safe from gasoline and chemicals. Works Great.
Just make sure to have a respirator on.

Reactions: "Captain D"

·
Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,107 Posts
Reminds me of a song from WAAY BAACK...

"Bend Me Shape Me Anyway You Want Me"

Parts are around, you just gotta get `em...

Oh YEAH "Git `er Done"
Dennis

1 - 20 of 20 Posts