Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my wife and I were without kids over the Rodeo weekend and we decided to take advantage of it. We spent 2 days on our bikes touring around. We put about 130 miles on our bikes. We got home and we were getting ready to put our bikes away, when I got this itch to ride my wife's bike. I have an '07 Shadow Spirit....she has an '07 Kawasaki Ninja. I needed a sport bike fix :)

So, off I go, headed down the road of my neighborhood enjoying the different feel of the sport bike. When all of a sudden, a van (which was parked at the curb to my right), pulls out into my lane! I had oncoming traffic, 3-4 cars coming at me on a residential road...not much room to swerve....so....I hit the brakes....in a curve....I had less than 2 carlengths to stop at 30 miles an hour....

Well, at least I think I hit the brakes....I had enough time to think "Oh explitive!" and then I was staring at asphalt coming at me from over the handlebars of the bike. I remember thinking: "I'm not walking away from this one!" After that, I don't remember much except when I jumped up...sure something was definately broken and surprised to find nothing was. I have people coming at me from all directions asking if I was okay...asking if my back was good....

The guy who pulled out in front of me actually had the nerve to tell me: "Man, you didn't have to do that. I was going to stop." Well...at what point were you planning to stop??? He helped me pick the bike up and while I was still dazed and confused, he left me on the side of the road. Didn't ask if I needed to call anyone, didn't ask if I needed an ambulance....just left. I'm thinking....great, I have to call my wife and tell her I just downed her bike!

So, I called my wife....I don't remember that conversation either...I only remember her rushing to get to me (less than a 1/4 mile from our house). Of course, she didn't care about the bike (which had less than 400 miles on it :cry: ).

Let me head some of you off at the pass: My wife and I took our MSF course together, I have read Proficient Motorcycling and More Proficient Motorcycling...and yes, I know I'm not supposed to borrow someone else's bike :lol: ......

So, the real reason I'm posting is: WEAR YOUR GEAR!! I was in full gear: armored riding jacket, leather gloves, full-faced helment, jeans and tennis shoes (yes, I know...boots are better). My jacket has holes in it and you can see the rip-stop through the top layer of it...shredded! My gloves have almost no palms left in them and only by the grace of God did I not hit my helmet. My jeans got nice holes all over them and I got some decent road rash on my knees. My shoulder got hyperextended and I'm sore as all heck....but I truly believe I owe it all to my gear. Without the gear (and the doctors' agree), I wouldn't have walked away in the condition I did.

WEAR YOUR GEAR....WEAR YOUR GEAR....WEAR YOUR GEAR! I'm guilty of just hoppin' on my bike for a quick trip to the store without all the gear on. I'll never do it again.

· Registered
1,541 Posts
I'm happy to hear you're okay. And thanks for the reminder about the gear. What you experienced I hope never to experience, but if I do I'd prefer to tear up jackets and gloves rather than shoulders and palms.

· Registered
295 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accident, but I'm glad you are ok. I second the sentiment on the gear. Cowhide is definitely tougher than people hide.

· Registered
128 Posts
Glad you're not worse off. :shock:

wolfanddeer said:
I was in full gear: armored riding jacket, leather gloves, full-faced helmet, jeans and tennis shoes (yes, I know...boots are better). My jacket has holes in it and you can see the rip-stop through the top layer of it...shredded! My gloves have almost no palms left in them and only by the grace of God did I not hit my helmet. My jeans got nice holes all over them and I got some decent road rash on my knees.
I'd like for you to consider this: if your gear sustained that amount of damage at 30 mph, think about the condition it (and you) will be in if you (or your wife) dismount at 60 mph and it has to absorb 4 times the energy of the 30 mph crash.

Sparc

· Registered
943 Posts
sbartos said:
Sorry to hear about your accident, but I'm glad you are ok. I second the sentiment on the gear. Cowhide is definitely tougher than people hide.
That quote should be on a t-shirt somewhere

hey, glad to hear you walked away, thats the important thing

· Registered
390 Posts
Glad your were able to walk away.
Thanks for the explanation of the conditions of the accident.
We all need constant reminders to be safe and alert.
I was trying to decide on leather of fabric for gear. Now the decision is made! I buy leather this weekend.

· Registered
190 Posts
bookman1995 said:
Glad you're well. Too bad you didn't get the guy's tag number.
Exactly,the guy just split and it was an accident that should have been reported,I'm sure the bike suffered damage and insurance will want a report,the company he works for will want to know ahead of time whats going on probably and the guy is a d*k for jsut rolling out seeing the gear tore up & bike down :evil:

· Registered
206 Posts
Glad you walked away I have been there and done that at about the same speed but broke some bones. I did not lose any hide but I too made the comment that my cowhide ropers saved by hands. I know the cowhide curved roping gloves you can buy at tractor supply for 10 bucks don't look cool as some of the stuff offered at bike shops but they sure as hell are made for tough use and being precurved are just what the Dr ordered for hanging onto a motorcycle handle bar. I guess I have never been accused of being a slave to fashion but more appreciative of funtion.
Jeff

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well i just wanted to say thanks to all of you. I don't post alot on here but i have been on the forum for a long while, with a search i find what im looking for. Anyway the jacket was a (Frank Thomas) not sure the gloves, and i did make a police report and my wife talked to the dealer today and the damage is more than the bike is worth, so we shall see.

· Registered
72 Posts
Feel the pain

As I am a fairly new rider, I feel for you. My problem was not enough to eat. I hit a guard rail due to zoning out. But, your point again makes sense. I had a Joe Rocket jacket on, boots, and thick pants. I have some road rash to show for it, but no broken bones, and I am mentally KO.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.