Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
14,529 Posts
Not sure if there is such a thing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How much is a total rebuild kit? Could i also upgrade the top end, as in a big bore kit or something of that nature?

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
14,529 Posts
You will have to go shopping for parts. Not many big bore parts for Honda's like Harley.
Maybe look for a shop that does engine mod work in your area.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Best bet is probably a complete used engine from one of the online salvage outfits like Pinwall cycle. They usually have videos of it running before disassembly. In the long run, it will most likely be the fastest and least expensive route.

·
Registered
04 shadow aero
67 Posts
No way are you getting a Ducati motor into a shadow frame. Its a 90° twin.
I’m sure there’s a big cube Harley screaming eagle crate engine out there that’ll somehow fit. I’m just not seeing getting the hp the op wants with the existing 1100 Honda engine

·
Registered
112 Posts
How much is a total rebuild kit? Could i also upgrade the top end, as in a big bore kit or something of that nature?
Sounds to me like the kinds of questions that would have six or seven options in the Harley world, but doesn't exist in the Honda-land. One of the reasons Harley guys are dedicated to their machines is the awesome aftermarket support that exists.

In Honda-land, what I would do if I wanted an upgrade, rather than spending $5K on a crate engine, is spend $3K on a new (used) bike. If I wanted more power than my 1100 Shadow, I'd consider a V65 Magna. Honda VF1100C V65 Magna: history, specs, pictures - CycleChaos

Even the V45 Magna engine makes considerably more power than the Shadow 1100 engine. Honda VF750 Magna: review, history, specs - BikesWiki.com, Japanese Motorcycle Encyclopedia

Kinda makes one wonder what it would take to get one of those Magna engines into a Shadow, doesn't it? But me, I'd just buy the alternate bike. Why make one thing over into another when the other thing already exists? I have enough projects.

·
Registered
2007 VT750DC Spirit “chopper”
1,000 Posts
Kinda makes one wonder what it would take to get one of those Magna engines into a Shadow, doesn't it? But me, I'd just buy the alternate bike. Why make one thing over into another when the other thing already exists? I have enough projects.
I did a whole mess of research and measurements to try and figure out how to fit a VFR800 engine into a DC Shadow frame, the VFR800 is essentially the older Magna engine but with chain drive. After many conversations and finally making measurements on both the frame and engine I came to the conclusion that while it could fit, you would have to modify both front frame tubes to fit the front cylinder head through, essentially making the Shadow frame into exactly what a 97+ Magna frame already is. No point doing all that just to have something extremely close to factory available.

If you’re considering an engine swap it needs to either be a custom frame that you specifically fit that engine to or you’ll have to cut/chop/weld the factory frame, Honda makes these frames very very close to the engine for maximum compactness, swaps aren’t really a thing without as much custom work as if you were building from an aftermarket frame.

·
Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
5,969 Posts

·
Registered
11,361 Posts
I’m sure there’s a big cube Harley screaming eagle crate engine out there that’ll somehow fit. I’m just not seeing getting the hp the op wants with the existing 1100 Honda engine
Not a chance. Harley engines are huge compared to an 1100cc Honda V-twin

·
Registered
84 VT500C retro bobber
1,519 Posts
There are always options to get more power out of any engine. Deck the heads, bigger bore, more air/fuel, turbo, NOS, etc.

·
Registered
112 Posts
As I understand it, the Sabre is the hot rod out of all the 1100s. Honda Shadow Sabre - Wikipedia
They are geared lower and perhaps even tuned to have a few more horses than its siblings.

But the '85-86 VT1100 was good for even more power, rated at 76hp. Ahhh, the 80's , … good times!

One thing dragging all the 1100s down is the shaft drive. Shafts in general waste quite a bit more power than chains. The engineering textbooks put chains at something like 3% loss, where a shaft drive, can waste on the order of 25%. It's not so much the shaft, as the right angle gears at each end, so an engine that has the crank arranged along the bike's long axis, like a BMW airhead, Honda Goldwing, or Moto Guzzi V, can be more efficient. http://www.onlinejournal.in/IJIRV3I4/242.pdf

·
Registered
325 Posts
Where would i find a new crate engine for my 2001 shadow spirit vt1100c
You will not find a 'new' crate engine for your Spirit.

Every day (almost) you can find a used 'replacement' engine on Ebay from wrecked, low mileage, examples!!!

I have put 2 of those low mileage examples in friend's bikes and they ran flawless from first startup.

Just for information sharing purposes, what are the problems that you are having from your current engine???

John

1 - 20 of 47 Posts