Honda Shadow Forums banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Could you elaborate on that a little bit?
I provided a link at my comment. Various sources claim various HP ratings for the Sabre to be roughly 2 to 8 hp more than claimed for the other 1100s. It's not stated, but I assume that all these numbers are "rated hp at output shaft". Most sources mention that the Sabre has lower gearing for faster acceleration. Google "Honda Shadow Sabre" for more information.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I provided a link at my comment.
My mistake Axeman.

Some of your postings in different threads led me to believe that you had actual knowledge/experience beyond a good memory of reading what's on the internet and the ability to share that beyond cut and paste of those readings.

Again, my mistake.

John

·
Premium Member
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
2,917 Posts
Speaking of people who just read the internets pipes, look what I found!
It's a darn near perfect Shadow engine, look at that torque curve, an over square design, but somehow almost like Harley delivery.
It lists under $4k, so that and some kind of belt transmission it's probably still cheaper than something new from somewhere. (-;

·
Registered
04 shadow aero
54 Posts
Isn’t the gx engine the one they use in the inverter generators?i dunno

I stil think it’s easier And cheaper to change the frame to fit a different engine than to make the target hp from the stock vtwin. Don’t forget the transmission too. Adding engine power then needs to add Transmission upgrades

·
Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
1,402 Posts
Speaking of people who just read the internets pipes, look what I found!
It's a darn near perfect Shadow engine, look at that torque curve, an over square design, but somehow almost like Harley delivery.
It lists under $4k, so that and some kind of belt transmission it's probably still cheaper than something new from somewhere. (-;
Since the wet clutch isn't included on that engine I guess you would have to add a Harley transmission setup. Who is going to try it first?

·
Premium Member
2,917 Posts
Isn’t the gx engine the one they use in the inverter generators?i dunno
Yep, just my feeble attempt at humor.
Tough crowd.

Last time I looked there were still aftermarket cams and higher compression pistons available for the some of the VT1100 bikes, but it really is a performance vs. cost dead end, like most Shadows.
Honda does once in a while crank out "crate engines" for some of their cars and some race bikes when they are still current for a fairly stiff price of course, it's Honda.
For aging Shadows just finding new components for a rebuild can be a chore.

Trying to stuff another engine in a shaft drive frame is going to be quite a feat, probably easier to forget it all and go for a V4 chain drive in a long, wide Featherbed replica. (-;

·
Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
1,402 Posts
Someone used a Harbor Freight, Predator engine and installed it in a Harley on Youtube. You can do some crazy stuff and make it work. That is a crate engine. Harley used to sell crate engines. I'm not sure now. I was watching a show and a guy would order Harley crate engines and use them for mud motors with his own electrical system on them.

·
Premium Member
2,917 Posts
Someone used a Harbor Freight, Predator engine and installed it in a Harley on Youtube. You can do some crazy stuff and make it work. That is a crate engine. Harley used to sell crate engines. I'm not sure now. I was watching a show and a guy would order Harley crate engines and use them for mud motors with his own electrical system on them.
There was a guy a few years ago who stuck a v-twin Diesel utility engine in an old Honda and then the following year turbocharged it to make it a bit more motorcycle like.

Harley is still at it, they just came out with their latest 131 cu. in engine for direct swaps in newish street bikes complete with 1 year warranty. I guess they are still trying for the "power cruiser" crown, going faster, but falling short as usual. There are other direct engine swaps for H-D bikes, S&S are probably the most common. There was a guy who lived around the corner from me for a few years and he had what appeared to be a Harley bagger, with no genuine Harley parts, absolutely everything was aftermarket.

·
Registered
84 VT500C retro bobber
1,511 Posts
There was a guy a few years ago who stuck a v-twin Diesel utility engine in an old Honda and then the following year turbocharged it to make it a bit more motorcycle like.

Harley is still at it, they just came out with their latest 131 cu. in engine for direct swaps in newish street bikes complete with 1 year warranty. I guess they are still trying for the "power cruiser" crown, going faster, but falling short as usual. There are other direct engine swaps for H-D bikes, S&S are probably the most common. There was a guy who lived around the corner from me for a few years and he had what appeared to be a Harley bagger, with no genuine Harley parts, absolutely everything was aftermarket.
Harley Davidson's aftermarket is so damned good that you can actually build a "Harley" from the ground up using absolutely no genuine Harley parts. It would probably turn out better. Honda, as well as most Japanese manufacturers, lack this aftermarket support.

·
Registered
04 shadow aero
54 Posts
I only suggested hd because of the hp that the op wanted. It’s readily available and come with a gearbox that can handle the juice

·
Registered
2007 VT750DC Spirit “chopper”
971 Posts
Harley Davidson's aftermarket is so damned good that you can actually build a "Harley" from the ground up using absolutely no genuine Harley parts. It would probably turn out better. Honda, as well as most Japanese manufacturers, lack this aftermarket support.
Is it really a good aftermarket or is it driven by marketing? Harder to find some stock Harley parts than it is the next step/stage replacement. Honda could have sold the Shadow 1100 as an 800 then supplied the consumer with an 1100 bore kit to pay for separately but they’d rather just give you the end result right up front in one package. Less headache, less cost, less wasted parts.

·
Registered
06' VT1100C/99' GL1500C Valkyrie
8,752 Posts
I only suggested hd because of the hp that the op wanted. It’s readily available and come with a gearbox that can handle the juice
As mentioned a HD is too tall and to get a "unit" (tranny included) setup you would have to use Sportster motor and they're pretty tall also but....

The claim the Sabre is more potent than its brethren, BS. The secondary gearing on the Sabre/AceT share the same but Sabre isn't carrying as much fat. The Spirit ended up with a taller secondary thus not quite as frisky which they could have left the Spirit the same as the other two. Now maybe finding a 85'/86' VT1100 motor would be the best option.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Doesn't Jay Leno have one with an aircraft radial engine in it?

couple different radial engine motorcycle setups:

·
Registered
2007 VT750DC Spirit “chopper”
971 Posts
Doesn't Jay Leno have one with an aircraft radial engine in it?

couple different radial engine motorcycle setups:

What doesn’t Leno have?

Reactions: jadofind

·
Registered
325 Posts
The claim the Sabre is more potent than its brethren, BS.
The gearing on the Sabre is the same as the other VT1100 engine'd bikes from the mid to late 90s except for the Spirit.

What sets the Sabre apart is something other than gearing. Do you know what it is???

Think about your Valkyrie and what sets it apart from other Valkyries (or at least mine)???

John

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
The gearing on the Sabre is the same as the other VT1100 engine'd bikes from the mid to late 90s except for the Spirit.

What sets the Sabre apart is something other than gearing. Do you know what it is???

John

Butt Dino. Or 89 octane? :p

ICM, trigger wheel, rear tire dia., parts that determine performance outside the gearbox/drivetrain, all are the same. Just 2 tooth difference in the final drive gear and cross shaft set. 2000 there was a change/tweek in the 5 spd. 1100 transmission and the h.p. is about 62 @ the crank and 53 hp. to the rear. (16% difference)

Think about your Valkyrie and what sets it apart from other Valkyries (or at least mine)???

John
My 99', 92 h.p/98 ft lbs. of torque @ the rear which in comparison to 97' model, 98 h.p./102 ft lbs. of torque. The ICM is the major difference.

On Valks theres a ICM mod that is cheap to avoid changing trigger wheels. Don't know if it can be done to a 1100 but...

·
Registered
325 Posts
Is it that with the other people's bikes the TOOLs ride UNDER the saddle?
Axman,

You make me smile (if not chuckle) on the inside.

I don't know if you are a 'bro or bro-ette (or non-binary blah blah blah blah blah)'. Chill my friend. Use your energies for something positive (y).

You chose to reply to a convo in which you don't have a stake :).

H13man,

There are 2° advance built into the Sabre that the other VT1100 engine'd bikes don't get to enjoy. That is what sets it apart and the reason it is called the 'hotrod' of late model VT's. There are very few that know that.

H13man,

I am also a member of the VRCC just like you are. They can be quite a group of characters at times just like any other forum.

John

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Well c-john, :D the 2002 Sabre and Spirit share the same trigger wheels and CDI. Now the Aero of the same year and only year the Aero sported the dual pin motor has a different CDI but the same trigger wheel. I've been here 12 yrs. when the 1100's ruled, have been discussed in depth for sure but actual parts listings/fische help a lot as mis info on web is kinda wanky for sure.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts