Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 3-rail MC trailer I'd like to hold onto, but the problem is storage. I have a two-car garage, and live in a neighborhood where CC&Rs simply won't permit long-term parking a trailer out front.

Currently the trailer is in an uncovered parking spot at a local storage facility, costing me $44/month. Ideally, I'd like to find a cheaper (but still secure) place to park the trailer but am unsure where to look.

There's no room on my property for it, and I'd prefer not to store it tipped up or on its side, for fear of unnecessary wear/tear (it weighs about 200 lbs).

If I can't find a more cost-effective option I will sell it, but thought I'd put the question to the forum to see if there are any creative ideas out there that I'm just missing.

Thanks!

·
Registered
949 Posts
Do you have covered storage, garage at your home?

If you have enough head room you could lift it out of the way and store it using a harness. connect it to the trailer at four points and us a come-a-long and pulley to lift it up and out of the way..

just an idea, not a great one though.

at 200# you could use that pulley system to hand it on edge against the wall too. That way you could suspend it by a weight bearing structure instead of laying it on it's side.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I have a car top carrier that I have created a rope and pulley system that raises it to the ceiling in my garage. My father in law does this for his topper on his truck in one bay and his canooe in another bay. His fiberglass topper has to weigh as much as your trailer.

I don't see why this can't work for your trailer assuming you have the clearence to put it up there. I can email you pics if you want me to.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks like shrek beat me with the idea.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Zman said:
I have a car top carrier that I have created a rope and pulley system that raises it to the ceiling in my garage. My father in law does this for his topper on his truck in one bay and his canooe in another bay. His fiberglass topper has to weigh as much as your trailer.

I don't see why this can't work for your trailer assuming you have the clearence to put it up there. I can email you pics if you want me to.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Na, for me that is just a theory. You show that it can work.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Zman said:

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did the same thing when I had a cap on the back of my pickup. Worked great and I'm sure it weighed at least 200lbs. I used pulleys in the ceiling and pulleys where it attached to the cap I think that cuts the weight in half. I would pull one side up about two feet, then tie it off and then do the other side. Took 5-10 minutes to get it up to the ceiling but it sure was nice to have a place for it that was out of the way.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yea....know just what you mean as my trailer was in storage along with some things and I gave that up about 9 months ago at 100 a month. Moved everything back into garage. Our association is unbelievable.

Mine was new and used once but took up way to much garage space.

Sold it last week.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I thought I'd give an update on this post, since as those of you who saw the original post might imagine, I really didn't want to get rid of the trailer (though I freely admit it is my white elephant for 2006).

I picked up the trailer on Saturday intending to try fitting it in the garage. But, I had to promise my wife beforehand that if it didn't work out, I would sell it. So, I brought it home, and - lo and behold - it looked like it would fit - as long as we got rid of a few things that we had discussed we wanted to get rid of anyway!

My wife even offered to help, saying that if it was going to stay anyway, she wanted to "be part of the solution so she could make sure she was happy with the outcome" - now how's that for a good sport! :lol:

So, looks like I'll be keeping my trailer after all!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts