Honda Shadow Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts
Not so much work as RIDING...
Up at daybreak for breakfast Ride all day & in the hot tub before bed...
600 @ 60 MPH is only 10 hours, and there`s 14 hours of daylight this time of year;)
A hearty breakfast, a good supper and 4 tanks of gas,
Dennis

But who runs 60????
Yeah, I've did 600 - 900 miles in a day a number of times but it was due to a tight schedule. It was also when riding by myself or just one other like minded person. Pretty much all highway. Not sure if I'd want to try it with a third person.

What made it more difficult was each night was spent at a friends house from "back in the day". Much alcohol was consumed until the wee hours of the morning. Breakfast would consist of me lacing up a pair of running shoes and getting 4 or 5 miles on them, knock back a light breakfast and hit the road. States without helmet laws were welcomed, running without a windscreen it made it easier to keep both eyes open!

I'm thinkin' those days are behind me!

Reactions: KiwiRider
Yeah, @squidchief I think those days are behind both of us ;)
We didn`t dally none, we were Booking it...
Had to get there by Sunday night, we arrived before dark...
Yeah that Hot Tub was a lifesaver,
Dennis

Holiday Inn Express insists on hot tub available, I`m GLAD too

View attachment 289079

Me and @Menhir have agreed to disagree about this in the past. As much as I love camping and motorcycling, I never mix the two if I can avoid it. I've got all the lightweight gear for backpacking and back country camping, but it's high dollar and I'll be damned if it will ever get strapped on to the back of a motorcycle.

I haven't seen him on here in a while but @Nuh_auni took a "budget" ride a couple of years ago and it sounded great. Hopefully he'll pop his head in and see this and give you a bit from his perspective.

In addition to all the excellent advice above, a couple of thoughts: Start hitting up friends and family now for food gift cards. Everyone has them. Subway. Micky D's. Cracker Barrel. Everyone. Gas station hot dogs are doable, I've covered many a mile living off of them, but an hour or so sit-down meal can do wonders. Friends and family have also been known to gift pre-paid gas cards and credit cards.

I recommended to @Nuh_auni to check out a site for "couch surfing". I think it turned out good for him.

Others have mentioned quality rain gear. I cannot concur with that enough. Crappy gear, wet clothes = recipe for disaster.... or at least ruining a day. Don't skimp on rain gear. I'm a believer in two piece gear. Pants have to have a stirrup. That's my .02/

Me, I'm more about destinations than the ride itself. Call it a personality quirk. I've crossed this country from coast to coast a number of times. Always had to have a destination. Always had a bit of a plan. I used to enjoy watching Diners/Drive-ins and Dives. I routed to ensure I visited a couple that seemed most interesting. I route to see and visit Americana as well. Go check out that big-assed ball of twine. Do a couple of miles on the old route 66. "Illegally" pull over and get that classic picture of Mount Rushmore.

I can't see "modifying" a good bike. Personally, I hate a windscreen. Won't have one though one can protect you from flying crap. Take your bike in to a decent upholsterer and have them tailor your seat. Probably a whole lot cheaper than something aftermarket. Luggage is nice, but your bike is only so big so use common sense. New tires before taking off is a must. Front and rear.

Either way, whatever you decide, I hope you do it. Don't let "common sense" talk you out of it. Every year you get a year older. More responsibilities. Less opportunities. I've did the trip you're talking about. One day I made it 800 miles with ease, the next just a little over 80. Oh yeah, there was a bar, loose women and cold beer involved but that's a whole different story.....

Let us know what happens.
PLLLLLEEEAAASSEE tell us THE STORY Uncle Squid!! LOL!! Good advice also!!

Leesburg,FL Bike Rally I`ll load up my tent and camp for the week...
What with it being minimum of 6 hours one way, the ride is a nice get away through northern FL...
So many rural routes are scenic pleasures...
I`ve not traveled the same way twice,
Dennis

PLLLLLEEEAAASSEE tell us THE STORY Uncle Squid!! LOL!! Good advice also!!
One of the few times I don't have a story. :unsure: I love a good long distance ride, but I also love me a good dinner after a long day ride.... and I like a few ****tails.... or beers.... or combination of both to go with that good dinner. The word "few" is subjective at best.
Two biggest money grabbers on a trip are food and sleep. I or one of my fellow riders are typically carrying some type of personal firearm so staying on military bases are out of the question. With the prices they're charging on base nowadays, bases are off the table anyway. I can grab a Homewood Suite or similar for around $120 a night. 3 guys, we splitt it 3 ways. Many places give us free dinner. A lot offer free or near free beer and wine. Always get a free breakfast, and not some dang waffle either. Between my riding buddies and myself, we know enough people that often we can crash in someones spare bedroom, couch or piece of carpet in their living room. If staying at someones house, we'll try to grab some steaks to grill and a bottle of Pendleton or The Macallan to pay for the night.

Oh, and I'd have to severely redact any stories anyway as my wife has been known to peruse these forums on occasion. I still might have one or two more long trips to take before I die!;)

Probably have a hard time making it across the border......
I guess I could ride across country and take a ferry from Seattle but I'm not sure I want to go to Seattle right now.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.