Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bike was running fine I hooked up a jumper box and bike attempted to start lights on still clicks for not enough charge then I hooked up to car to boost and wires were crossed sparked off and lights out on bike and no response

·
Registered
11,778 Posts
Always make sure us old guys know what bike you have.

Did you see smoke? Do you see burnt wires around the battery and start solenoid? There is a 30 amp main fuse in the start solenoid that controls all power and may have popped.

·
Registered
11,778 Posts
Most of the newer bikes it is a green fuse plugged into the starter solenoid. probably under the seat/battery area.

Attachments

·
Registered
726 Posts
Most of the newer bikes it is a green fuse plugged into the starter solenoid. probably under the seat/battery area.
I was just tracing some of my wiring and it is right under the seat, located sort of above the battery but under the seat. It has a couple of thick wires on it but you can slide the solenoid up. You then have to slide the rubber cover off of the solenoid which will expose the fuse. Hopefully the car was off when you attempted to jump the bike. A running car when jumping can burn up sensitive bike electronics. Hopefully it is just the fuse.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Meanwhile back at the ranch, might need to get yourself a new battery. Also, buy an assortment of fuses and store some of the fuses in your saddlebags.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Unless the engineers have protected the rectifier, the reverse connection will kill the internal diodes in no time. That is more of a secondary problem, since it doesn't come into play until the engine is running. The AC (alternating current) will not charge a battery and may wreak havoc with other electronics. Check by putting a multi-meter set on AC scale in a 0-15V range across the battery terminals when the engine is running. If you get more than about 1/2 volt, the rectifier isn't well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Always make sure us old guys know what bike you have.

Did you see smoke? Do you see burnt wires around the battery and start solenoid? There is a 30 amp main fuse in the start solenoid that controls all power and may have popped.
Excellent point! The smoke test is critical when diagnosing electrical problems.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
You might have screwed up the donor battery too. Even if you have the positive/negative cables connected properly to jump your bike, there is a set procedure for hooking up the cables and unhooking them. A before B kind of thing. Please, research.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts