Honda Shadow Forums banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Premium Member
2015 Shadow Aero, 1972 Triumph 650 Tiger
752 Posts
Having run my 88 VT1100 in Europe and now in California there is no comparison between 91 v 100 octane. Higher octane wins and is an awesome experience.
Isn't European gasoline ethanol free?

·
Registered
5 Posts
.We have no choice but to use E-10 gas where I live. MY lawn mower was running poorly as was my vt700 and my chainsaw and I rebuilt the carb twice on my weedeater. A friend of mine told me it was the ethanol in the gas that was killing my carbs and I should start using a fuel conditioner. So I started using LUCAS brand ethanol fuel conditioner. I really didn't think it would help much but I figured I wouldn't be much worse off so what the hel. It made a ton of difference. In 3 years I have not had to rebuilt a carb and everything is running smoothly. Apparently carburetors and ethanol do not work well together.

·
Registered
2007 Honda Shadow Spirit VT750C2
172 Posts
Even though an economic and environmental shell game of epic proportions is the reason that Ethanol is in the gas in the first place, it is completely harmless to run through a carb. The damage that can come from it is when the engine sits long enough for the gas to evaporate away...leaving varnish from hell. Exactly like what happens with our weed eaters, chain saws, bikes, etc. that may sit a long time between uses. Ethanol gas treatments do work for storage, but if riding, eating weeds, and sawing chains regularly, ethanol is completely harmless. It must be kept moving through the system. How long is storage? However long it takes the gas to evaporate out of your carb...exactly that much time.

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
3,460 Posts
Most of it yes but starting to add it in. Shell V power in Switzerland is 100 octane..
The European (and many countries) Octane rating system as listed on the pumps is the RON and is 4-5 points higher than in Canada or US. Here the pump number is RON+MON/2 and 87 here is equivalent to a 91 or 92 in Europe. However many pumps in Europe the "regular" is a 95 RON so closer to our 89.

·
Registered
13 Posts
As stated above, ethanol has an "octane rating " of about 115. Octane rating is related to how fast fuel burns in the combustion chamber, with higher ratings = slower burn, making the use of more compression and/or ignition advance possible to improve power without detonation or preignition. Ethanol also has more oxygen in it than gasoline which helps achieve a more complete combustion. Incomplete combustion yields carbon monoxide ( CO ) which is poisonous, complete combustion yields carbon dioxide ( CO2 ). That's why the pure 91 octane gas is also called " non-oxy ). Ethanol also lowers combustion temperature, resulting in less NOx emissions too. Ethanol also has less energy density than gasoline, so you get a little less power from it than the same amount of pure gasoline. My Shadow gets a steady diet of 91 non-oxy, mainly because I feel it runs a little better on it, and I don't have to worry about the residue that ethanol leaves in my carbs. Ethanol also absorbs water, which can get left behind and cause corrosion when the ethanol evaporates.
Do you know which companies have no ethanol in their gas i have an oe Shadow Ace vt750cdd

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Do you know which companies have no ethanol in their gas i have an oe Shadow Ace vt750cdd
One local Shell station and one local Circle K formerly known as Flash Foods offer ethanol free aka marine gasoline. Do a google search on marine or ethanol free gasoline near you.

·
Registered
11,082 Posts
Octane S L O W S combustion and so if your motor is pinging, the octane content of the fuel should be increased. And when I added Shell Premium to my gasoline, my Dodge 318 motor ran smoother and started more easily in the morning.
The higher the octane, the more resistant the air/fuel mix is to igniting from a hot surface, such as the piston head or the exhaust valve port. Pinging has nothing to do with how fast the a/f mix combusts. It happens when the a/f mix enters the piston chamber and ignites in one area from a hot surface, and then ignites from the spark plug. Those two combustion 'waves' hit each other and cause the piston to rattle around, causing the pinging sound.

·
Registered
32 Posts
A fellow member posted a link a year ago to a web site that lists places that sell ethanol free gas in the US, www.pure-gas.org

As mentioned,
I used to mix Sunoco 260 and toluene
an alternative octane booster is Tolulene, : Toluene - additive for racing fuels, fuel octane booster
which is lot more expensive for most of us than using the pump 10% ethanol swill:

I wish there was a pure-gas station around me. A friend says he used to go to the local small airport to get it, but that source will no longer sell without some credential.

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Toluene smells like airplane glue. Have at it, sniffers.

·
Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
1,260 Posts
There is a station that sells ethanol free gas but I have been running the ethanol so long I don't know why I would spend double the price and the inconvenience of going to get it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Double the price for the same octane? I find that hard to believe.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Double the price for the same octane? I find that hard to believe.
Yeah. E0 costs about 20% more than E10 around here (Iowa) where most of the ethanol is made. Even though E10 yields less mpg it also yields higher mpd (miles/$).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have been running the ethanol so long I don't know why I would spend double the price and the inconvenience of going to get it.
0% Ethanol is desirable for over-winter or other long term storage, where the gumming effect of ethanol can cause problems.

It's a pain to drain down a bike that uses fuel injection. Generally at least a liter is required in the tank to prevent the fuel pump from overheating. You can't just run it dry like an engine with carbs, and you can't just pull off a hose and drain it down through a petcock. Pulling the tank and inverting it, is the easiest way I've found to drain it, but this won't drain the fuel already in the pressurized part of the system.

The low pressure, lift pump in my Shadow is another story. That can be treated much more casually.

Another thing to consider, storing a bike with the tank empty can lead to internal rust. You can drain and fog with light oil or WD40. A full tank with Stabil is the best option, in my opinion, but I just try to ride year around, which is even better. I won't be collecting many bikes with EFI, and this Ethanol storage issue is one of the reasons.

·
Registered
2007 Honda Shadow Spirit VT750C2
172 Posts
Yeah where I am, E0 is more than double the price, about $6 a gallon. I'm running E10 during riding season, in the fall will run a couple of tanks of E0 and store it filled to the gills with it treated with Stabil. I've had 2 year old gas treated with it run fine in my lawnmower, I think it works.

Gas vapors attract water vapor. Pilots of small planes always fill the tanks completely for overnight/hangaring, to purge as much air as possible...which will end up condensing water into the fuel. Want to really prevent rust in the tank? Keep it full and it can't rust. Imo, draining the bike for storage invites rust and it's better to store with the tank full of treated fuel.

·
Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
1,260 Posts
I guess I am blessed to live where I can ride year round with only a few exceptions. After I get a few of my small engines going, I'll have to clean the carbs, probably ethanol related. After using the pressure washer and wood chipper I am considering dumping the gas from the plastic tanks and throwing in enough Coleman fuel to run a couple of minutes and fill the carb bowls. I have Coleman fuel probably 10 years old and my lantern and stove still run it perfectly. I pulled up the SDS and basically it is just pure fuel with no additives.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
In the olden days we called the camp stove fuel White Gas, and gas stations sold it in bulk. I never thought about what it was but it looks like it is Naptha and maybe that is why it stays fresh for so long.
Interestingly Seafoam has naptha also. Another piece to the fuel additive puzzles.

Reactions: kesanders
41 - 60 of 63 Posts