Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi from Washington, DC! If you're in the area, look me up and I'll buy you a cold one. I'm always looking to meet fellow riders, whatever you got. They're all good machines. I'm an HVAC tech by day and an artist/photographer at night, mostly painting and steel sculpture. My art website is BobcatArts.org.

My 2003 Shadow VT750DCB is worth only its sentimental value. I'm the 3rd (at least) owner, and it was in rough shape when my father-in-law gave it to me just before he suddenly passed away about 4 years ago. The odometer had 45xxx miles, XXX's because it was half-melted and I couldn't read it. I replaced it to get it registered so it's only got 10k now! Born again! Halleluja! It's still mostly functional, except for a pesky crossover tube coolant leak I just got the gaskets for and the fork seals just went last week so have to figure out how to fix that, too...

Riding changed my life and I'm never going back. When I'm too wobbly for 2 wheels I'm going sidecar! My new ride is a 2014 Honda Valkyrie. Beautiful, crazy, very different machine. I love it. Different forum. Now that I have something else to get me in trouble, I want to take the Shadow apart, clean it up and customize it a bit so my wife can learn to ride "daddy's bike." She supports this project 100%. We're the "a little different" neighbors.

Looking for advice/guidance on the following:
-Swap spoke wheels for mags so I can paint them white. Can I use another year?
-White wall tires if I can find them to fit the new wheels, if I can find them.
-Paint frame, swing arm, anything else that can be, white. I'd love to paint the engine block/crank case but can survive if not.
-repair/replace butchered OEM wires with new white wire/harness.
-chop rear, keep suspension, custom tiny fender. Have to figure out what to do with those lights back there...
-New seat, maybe with a little bit of back rest built in -maybe to mount lights? It's got to be more comfortable than OEM which is a low bar.
-gold chrome painted replica horse skull with 3d printed translucent unicorn horn, lit up with red inside skull, white inside horn, on front fender.
-"Unicorn puke" (white with large flake rainbow glitter, clear gloss topcoat) on tank, fenders, those random plastic body panels. Based on a nail polish I really like.
-LED bar headlight and fog spots, turn signals (light housings painted white).
-steel braided brake hoses and cables where possible, new tubes, all white if possible.
-Re jet or replace? carbs, improve air intake and improve exhaust. Not going for crazy turbo boost just a horse or two more. Would love suggestions.
-New "gold" rear sprocket and chain to match the skull up front.

This is the bike now from a recent trip to the B&O Railroad Museum.

Cheers!
-Mr. Cat

·
Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
5,577 Posts
Sounds like a very ambitious project. I would let her learn to ride it before I started putting money into it but that's just me. Good Luck and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Can't wait to see the finished product! +1 on getting it functional and learning the bike for a year before mods. It would suck to have a parking lot drop snap the unicorn horn...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can't wait to see the finished product! +1 on getting it functional and learning the bike for a year before mods. It would suck to have a parking lot drop snap the unicorn horn...
We have a 3D printer so worst case I can just make another one. It's a fun project but it's not precious (unlike my Valkyrie!) They want to take the rider course from Harley Davidson like I did but it's not an immediate priority for them so they'll learn eventually. I'm not sweating it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts