Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulled the trigger on a 2004 Sabre with a Memphis Shades windshield that's too big--I can't see over it. It's in brand-new condition. Should I take it somewhere and have it cut down or should I get what I can for it, then buy another? If cutting it is a reasonable option, who could do that kind of work? Thanks.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm pretty sure you can get just the plastic sheild for under $40 from Memphis Shades and reuse all of your existing hardware and brackets.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, after a bit of googling, I found that I can get just the plastic online for less than $50. Anyone know for sure about interchangeability between various heights?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I Have an 04 Sabre.... I'm 5'6" and I use the pop top memphis shades. It's the perfect height for me and it looks great on the sabre. Our bikes have a long low profile and I have seen some windshields on them that truly look out of place. The way Memphis shades recommends measuring for the proper size shield is to sit on your bike and put the end of a tape measurer on your headlight, slightly lean the tape measurer back towards you and get the measurement right at the bridge of your nose. Keep in mind that the windshield will sit about 1-1.5 inches off your headlight so this will add some height to the top of the shield. If your measurement is in between sizes that Memphis offers, I would go with the lower size windshield keeping in mind that it will sit 1-1.5 inches off your headlight and thet will make up the difference. I found the lowest price replacement shields at phatperformanceparts.com. good luck. I don't think ALL memphis shades are interchangeable with the hardware so you may want to clarify with a phone call.... the damn hardware ain't cheap!

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I have cut mine and also two others down for some friends. I used a rotozip and then I have a freestanding edge sander that I used to smooth the edges, but it could be done with a belt sander also.

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,223 Posts
Pulled the trigger on a 2004 Sabre with a Memphis Shades windshield that's too big--I can't see over it. It's in brand-new condition. Should I take it somewhere and have it cut down or should I get what I can for it, then buy another? If cutting it is a reasonable option, who could do that kind of work? Thanks.
I've got a 17" Fats (blue tint/9" cutout) that's too short for me; I'd be willing to swap for a 21" (or even 19") and save both of us some money. My plan has been to buy a replacement plastic ($57 is the best price I've found for 21" at http://www.motorcycleproshop.com/acc/memphis/metric.asp; where is anyone finding one under $50?) but it will probably be 3 weeks before I get to it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
windshields

I have cut down bunches of shields for different customers w/ the wonder tool [roto-zip]with no problems. finish w/ a soulder pencil of 40 or 60 watts on the edge for a professional finish. draw w/fine tip felt marker your cut line; while u r at it think of a custom design & go 4 it . U can practice ur soulder edge technique w/ the throw away piece u cut off. LOL jim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts