Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
UPDATE: 8/21/22: I've ridden about 200 miles and the rich smell has gone away. I'm thinking either the bike adjusted and/or it was burning off the old and new stuff I put in the exhaust. The bike seems to be running fine, no popping or backfires. I asked Honda about re-mapping my fuel mix on a computer and they won't do that, saying only if I'm that concerned to get a fuel commander add on and then deal all the new problems they cause. He did say that 70-100 miles was enough for the fuel computer to adjust on its own. Which I found interesting but I guess it has that capability so long as its not some major change. My bike still does 75-80, idles fine, starts fine, so I'm going to say that this chapter is closed. I am going to put on a new stock air filter because of the oil situation that I didn't think thru. And I'll look at the plugs on the other cylinder. Those were good points.
Thanks to everyone for your input and sharing your knowledge.

So, I took an Aero 2-1 exhaust and put it on my Shadow RS 750. This motor is fuel injected.
Now the engine is running really rich. I'm adding back a couple baffles when the shipment arrive but that's going to take a couple days.
Is it alright to ride when it's running so rich? Will it hurt anything or cause me problems later?

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
19,623 Posts
Did it have O2 sensors that are no longer hooked into the pipes?
Did you disconnect any connectors such as the engine coolant sensor?
Why is your fuel pump sub tank chamber hanging out in the open?
Maybe you just don't have the side cover on.

Reactions: Troy Jollimore

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did it have O2 sensors that are no longer hooked into the pipes?
Did you disconnect any connectors such as the engine coolant sensor?
Why is your fuel pump sub tank chamber hanging out in the open?
Maybe you just don't have the side cover on.
No the old exhaust didn't have anything connected to it. And yes, the side cover is off in the picture. I just removed one stock exhaust and put on another, that had been cut down, so with 3 of the 4 baffles, and it idles fine but for the smell of gas.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
19,623 Posts
Take out a couple of spark plugs to see if they are black. That will tell if it is too rich.
Many times a poorly running engine even running lean with a vacuum leak, will cause so much hydrocarbon stinky smell, it can be confused with rich fuel smell.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Take out a couple of spark plugs to see if they are black. That will tell if it is too rich.
Many times a poorly running engine even running lean with a vacuum leak, will cause so much hydrocarbon stinky smell, it can be confused with rich fuel smell.
Is it ok to ride around for a bit before I do anything? See if I get any popping or backfires like what happens with carbureted engines?

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
19,623 Posts
Check the plug color and if it is pretty normal looking, then ride and see how it runs.
Check the plugs after 20miles or so again to see if they are similar in color.
They are your mixture feed back.

• Helpful
Reactions: Doug_gerbwa

·
Registered
11,263 Posts
Have a fuel injected bike as well. When I cut the baffles out, I also drilled holes in the air box and installed a K&N foam filter. It has to breath in more easily if you make it breath out more easily.

A Cobra fuel module will help as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Check the plug color and if it is pretty normal looking, then ride and see how it runs.
Check the plugs after 20miles or so again to see if they are similar in color.
They are your mixture feed back.
I added two baffles (makes a total of 3) then I rode about 30 mi. and pulled a plug from the rear cyl. and it looked almost pristine. Sure used, but no fouling, no carbon, not wet, and the gap was still good. The bike runs and idles pretty much the same, but for the smell.
It has a stock air filter, that I could change. I have another one on stand by. I just looked at it recently and found some oil soaked into the down side of the filter, from the crankcase breather, so I rotated it and put it back in. Or I could get a K&N as someone else suggested. What do you think?

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
19,623 Posts
If the plugs are clean and not black the mixture is good. The smell may be fuel cleaner if you added any.
Wheb it is idling spray carb cleaner around the manifold connections and throttle body to make sure there is no vacuum leak.
A K&N filter may not do anything different.

·
Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
3,013 Posts
I added two baffles (makes a total of 3) then I rode about 30 mi. and pulled a plug from the rear cyl. and it looked almost pristine. Sure used, but no fouling, no carbon, not wet, and the gap was still good. The bike runs and idles pretty much the same, but for the smell.
It has a stock air filter, that I could change. I have another one on stand by. I just looked at it recently and found some oil soaked into the down side of the filter, from the crankcase breather, so I rotated it and put it back in. Or I could get a K&N as someone else suggested. What do you think?
I wouldn't flip an air filter with a little oil on it. The oil now has gravity to move it into the dried filter medium. You may accumulate new oil at the bottom over time which would make most of your filter, oil soaked, at some point. An oil soaked filter would cause a poor air flow condition where the bike would run rich.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts