Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a shadow sabre 1100c2 2001 with stock pipes. I'm not too fond of the wide tips and wanted to know if anyone has any advice or has even cut those fat tips off themselves.

Is this possible? I know I'll. Be cutting past the support that goes to the frame? I'm pretty mechanically inclined but this will be first working on a bike.

I'd like to eventually wrap them and have sort of a bobber exhaust. I also read rejettimg isn't required after changing exhaust volume unless you care about the horsepower lost and the fuel will be leaner. Is this true?

Thanks.

As an aside I have done reading here and all over google but can't seem to find my answers. I've seen a bunch of mods on shadow exhaust but nkt too sure how similar the sabres are.

·
Registered
43 Posts
cutting it off past the support is not something i would suggest unless your going to add a mount. you would be pushing all the weight and vibration support right to the head flange. as ive done a bunch of reading when i got my 01 spirit it seems a bit touchy on the requirements of getting it jetted. it seems more suggested to get it jetted so it runs properly. power related and just in general how well it runs. not running correctly and you could end up fouled sparkplugs more frequently which just leads to a bad experience all around. the oem exhaust breakdown suggests you have slip on mufflers so you shouldn't have to cut anything off. voodoo and j&p cycles offer slip on options that would fit the bike styling and has mounts built on you might be able to use to support the exhaust properly.

·
Registered
8,244 Posts
Cutting OEM exhaust unless in bad shape, I wouldn't. Go find a used set of aftermarket pipes instead. On a note, "twin pin" motors sound like chit @ higher rpm's with loud exhaust. Very annoying. That nice stock rumble would/will be missed. Mother knew what was best for this part of the Shadow lineup.

·
Registered
112 Posts
All Shadows came from the factory running lean due to economy regulations. Any time you change back pressure, you have to rejet

·
Registered
112 Posts
All Shadows came from the factory running lean due to economy regulations. Any time you change back pressure, you have to rejet
I drilled my baffled a little. Maybe 5/16 or 3/8 holes, because there isn’t much room on my 05 Sabre. But I only drilled 2 holes in each exhaust pipe, didn’t want to make it annoyingly loud. I haven’t noticed any problem and I did not re-jet. Probably did not change the back pressure that much.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
This is an endless debate. I personally don't like anything about stock exhaust. Contrary to what many believe, mufflers have always been a compromise between power and sound level for the masses. Some people like loud. I like loud. I like the sound, look and significant weight loss of my chopped down open pipe but to some it would be obnoxious. Hoda set up their exhuast syatems to appeal to as many people as they could in order to sell as many bikes as possible. When the bike is yours it only has to appeal to you so those factory compromises can go **** themselves.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I’m with Kris, I have my 1100 exhaust chopped and it’s perfectly obnoxious. I prefer it, especially diwn here in FL, where a nice BRAAPPP, gets attention quicker than a horn. I did however rejet, riches it up, and put on a high flow air filter. Runs better than ever, too

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all, curious about the slip on option here, are you saying i can slip something ponto the stock pipe?
voodoo and j&p cycles offer slip on options that would fit the bike styling and has mounts built on you might be able to use to support the exhaust properly.

I’m with Kris, I have my 1100 exhaust chopped and it’s perfectly obnoxious. I prefer it, especially diwn here in FL, where a nice BRAAPPP, gets attention quicker than a horn. I did however rejet, riches it up, and put on a high flow air filter. Runs better than ever, too
What was your process for cutting? How did you solve mount issue?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Exactly. How did it sound, and how many holes did you drill?
Dual exhaust, two holes in each one. I figured I could always go back and do more if I wanted it louder. I guess I was listened to others who said it would sound like crap with the baffles removed. I saved a video of it on Flickr if you want to hear it.
https://flic.kr/p/29fGm2G I may go for more holes this year, it’s not a whole lot louder than stock. I definitely don’t like them totally uncorked, they are very disrupting when you get on it. I live on a 4 lane road and I can attest to how hard it is to enjoy your backyard with friends over and someone on a straight pipe bike is pulling out of the side street.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Thanks all, curious about the slip on option here, are you saying i can slip something ponto the stock pipe?

What was your process for cutting? How did you solve mount

What was your process for cutting? How did you solve mount issue?
I have so far just driven it with the mufflers and heat shields off. I am cutting/ remaking now... I use a bandsaw, grinder, or chopsaw, depending on the cut. Mocking it up..

Attachments

·
Registered
8,244 Posts
Exactly. How did it sound, and how many holes did you drill?
Use a "Q" drill (.332) and you will be able to tap and insert 1/8" pipe plugs to reverse the modification in the future if needed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts