Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently wrapped my pipes with the black exhaust wrap. I like the look but want shorter pipes. Looking for advice on cutting them down. How? Possible reactions the bike might have, power, back firing, fuel use? Have found a guy that does custom pipe builds for Shadows, plain jane pipes start at $375. That is much better than the $500 for a V&H set. I like the Short Shot look.

·
Premium Member
2,516 Posts
Just recently wrapped my pipes with the black exhaust wrap. I like the look but want shorter pipes. Looking for advice on cutting them down. How? Possible reactions the bike might have, power, back firing, fuel use? Have found a guy that does custom pipe builds for Shadows, plain jane pipes start at $375. That is much better than the $500 for a V&H set. I like the Short Shot look.

Either a hacksaw, or a grinder with a cut off wheel, followed up by some work with a hand file to clean up and debur the edges.

·
Registered
314 Posts
If you're going from stock pipes to full open drag type pipes, which most shorties are, you'll need an aggressive jet and carb tune, if your bike is carbed. I didn't see a year make and model so I can only assume. A lot of folks will recommend using dynojet kits to get the required setup. Personally I sourced the jets from Amazon and paid a quarter of the cost financially but I spent some extra time tuning. By jetting up you'll see an increase in fuel consumption. But like upgrading to a 4 BBL carb from a 2bbl you CAN be more efficient by having the extra power. Keeping from smashing the throttle really controls that. But what's the point of having loud pipes if you can't flex them

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
heres what i did to mine. Found a generic tip in my dads garage, i separated the muffle from the front sections. then i joines the two front sections to the one tip using some scrap sheet metal. Then I decided I didnt like how much longer the rear pipe was compared to the front pipe so I cut the rear pipe and took 4 inches out of it. wrapped it in header wrap and called her done.

Attachments

·
Registered
420 Posts
The only problem I see with chopping off your pipes is you will end up with an unknown sound. It will be louder but who knows what exactly they will sound like tone wise? V&H, Cobra etc. tune their pipes for a certain sound depending on what they are building.

Any ways I would use a grinder with a cut off wheel. You could even shape the ends with a cut off wheel. You could make the ends concave or pointed whatever you want.

I'm not so big on the re-jetting thing just because you have a free flowing exhaust. Velocity stacks and straight pipes will require a re-jet but just for a free flow exhaust I wouldn't worry that much. Yes it will pop on decel but I kind of like that sound. Pull in the clutch and it will stop popping.

·
Registered
314 Posts
The only problem I see with chopping off your pipes is you will end up with an unknown sound. It will be louder but who knows what exactly they will sound like tone wise? V&H, Cobra etc. tune their pipes for a certain sound depending on what they are building.

Any ways I would use a grinder with a cut off wheel. You could even shape the ends with a cut off wheel. You could make the ends concave or pointed whatever you want.

I'm not so big on the re-jetting thing just because you have a free flowing exhaust. Velocity stacks and straight pipes will require a re-jet but just for a free flow exhaust I wouldn't worry that much. Yes it will pop on decel but I kind of like that sound. Pull in the clutch and it will stop popping.
Some people don't mind the popping, however increasing airflow and keeping fuel constant will result in a very lean mixture. Running too lean for too long will cause higher heat than designed for, and premature failure of several internals. Resetting is a pain in the butt, however still a necessity.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
377 Posts
One has to be cautious in which state they live in when they mod their pipes or mufflers. It's actually against Federal Laws to use anything other than EPA-approved mufflers, and you can only imagine what they'd think about the "drilling holes mods" or "straight pipes only" ;) Been a LONG time since I had to deal with a state that had Yearly Emissions Inspections...but I bet some of you do live in states that have 'em...even for motorcycles!

Or how much trouble they get into with the local Law on a regular basis, because one of those college boy cops might have actually taken time to read up on EPA laws just so they can jack some poor bugger! "Well, we ain't sure if we can charge him with anything we Suspect Highly that he did, but we can sure nail him on this Federal EPA charge!! Bet we'll find more once we arrest him at home with a warrant!!" " (Safety search incident to arrest where they check the home for weapons/etc, but they end up finding drugs/evidence of mopery/etc...you jokers have watched COPS, ain't ya??)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I hope you found an answer. I can only give what I have done. I recently got my 93 vt1100c. I too didn't like that the rear pipe was almost at the rear wheel regarding length. I took a grinder with a cutoff wheel and cut it off. Before I got the bike the PO suggested a re-jet due. I used a kit from eBay from 6sigma racing. Instructions were decently clear and youtube helped me remove the carb (first cruiser-type bike and first carbed bike). I don't have emissions here and after re-jetting the bike sounds and runs much better. Went from a 160 jet to a 170.

·
Registered
8,010 Posts
Save your stock exhaust and go aftermarket. If you cut the stock exhaust and fail, $1,721 is the cost of 2 mufflers for your bike. Remember it's FI and that requires paying someone else to dial it in. Not everyone will share your views/likes when it comes to selling your bike but....

·
Registered
229 Posts
I agree with the unknown sound. Most exhaust systems cost a lot of money not because they are made of fine silver and gold, but because a ton of research and testing goes into developing a solid set of pipes that does not sound like trash. I would love to cut my V&H long shots down, but I could not stand the sound when I had pulled the “mufflers” off for a little while. I would imagine cutting the pipes would yield a similar effect. I do not have baffles though so go figure.

·
Registered
163 Posts
My 2002 Honda Shadow Spirit vt750dc has the baffles removed so its way beefier on sound however i also run stage 3 jets. OEM air box and it runs fines at about 43mpg.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you for all the responses. Haven't done anything yet. Have a bro in law that is in a RC and it has multiple mechanics in it so one is coming over to help with some clutch work and I will pick his brain on handling any jetting/re-jetting/adjustment issues. However since wrapping both pipes miles per tank have increased from 108 to 150ish. Might re-think cutting.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Save your stock exhaust and go aftermarket. If you cut the stock exhaust and fail, $1,721 is the cost of 2 mufflers for your bike. Remember it's FI and that requires paying someone else to dial it in. Not everyone will share your views/likes when it comes to selling your bike but....
Really good point. Thinking of just pulling a baffle or both out and then saving up for this guy's custom pipes called Skirt Blowers.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
One has to be cautious in which state they live in when they mod their pipes or mufflers. It's actually against Federal Laws to use anything other than EPA-approved mufflers, and you can only imagine what they'd think about the "drilling holes mods" or "straight pipes only" ;) Been a LONG time since I had to deal with a state that had Yearly Emissions Inspections...but I bet some of you do live in states that have 'em...even for motorcycles!
Just looked up Oregon"s rules, no EPA emission test for motorcycles.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
11 Participants
mpierce72
Honda Shadow Forums
Welcome to Honda Shadow Forum. Come in and discuss any Honda Shadow models: VT1100, VT250, VT750 and the VT500.
Full Forum Listing