Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, here's my rant for the day. First let me say that I'm not using this thread to try to bash a product line but just want to get some general opinions.
OK, so in my town there's only one place to get gear and that's at CycleGear. Its quick and convenient and works great if you don't feel like sitting around waiting for UPS to deliver your stuff from one of the online stores. The problem is that CycleGear basically carries 1 brand which is Bilt. (You can order other brands but if I wanted to wait that long I'd just go online anyway). When I started riding I wanted to be able to try on the gear to make sure it fit properly so I picked up some boots and some overpants from them (I already had a jacket). I noticed right away that the quality just didn't seem to be as good as my jacket and the boots seemed ok but they just didn't seem to have tight stitching and support. But hey, what do I know, Noob that I am. So, I plunk down my cash and off I go. A few weeks later I'm on a side street and making a u-turn when all of a sudden, our best friend Gravel decided to say hello. So, being the accomodating gent that I am, I low-sided and said hello up close and personal. (Funny part of the story is that I did it right in front of a house w/ 2 nurse bikers who came out to help me out). So, anyway, I doubt I was going even 5-6 mph when it happened but lo and behold, the stiching ripped all the way down on the left boot and the heel was tore on the right. The pants? Hmm, I think my jeans would have been better and they were supposed to have CE approved armor. Needless to say, the pants went back and I ordered some Tourmasters that evening and some better boots. So, I still go into the store now and then just to look around but I never buy any clothing gear now because of this. The sad part is there's just no other gear stores around so everyone in my area makes due or orders online.
Has anyone else had a similiar experience w/ the Bilt line of products??

·
Registered
851 Posts
I don't have any experience but I spoke with a manager at Cycle Gear. The Bilt line is made specifically for Cycle Gear and "geared" (pun intended) towards the beginner cyclist as an inexpensive option over nothing. Some items I'm sure are made better than others. I would suggest the Sedici line. They are supposed to be made with a much better quality.

The other shops where I am at are priced out the wazoo so I still make do mostly with online orders.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I got a Bilt mesh jacket when I first got my bike because I didn't wanna ride around with nothing, and because I didn't wanna get [email protected] in the wallet for a piece of gear that I wasn't sure that I was going to use a lot.
I don't wear my jacket most of the time, but if I'm going on a trip or a long cruise I do.
I think it cost me $80 bucks. It's mesh, I figured it's going to rip if I take a spill but it'll give me some level of protection.

I'm fine with mine so far. When winter comes I'll spend a little more since I know I'll want something for the long haul.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I don't have any experience but I spoke with a manager at Cycle Gear. The Bilt line is made specifically for Cycle Gear and "geared" (pun intended) towards the beginner cyclist as an inexpensive option over nothing. Some items I'm sure are made better than others. I would suggest the Sedici line. They are supposed to be made with a much better quality.

The other shops where I am at are priced out the wazoo so I still make do mostly with online orders.
I can agree with nuncles, my bilt boots do seem a bit cheap but that wouldn't been an issue if the emt techs hadn't stolen my left boot >,>
staff at the local cycle gear have been Nothing but friendly and helpful to me.

·
Registered
889 Posts
When you think about it, your gear should only *need* to do it's job of protecting you in a fall once. Just like a helmet. In that sense, it did work. Not to say the quality or workmanship is good, but the gear did do it's job.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.