Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you use when on a road trip to secure your ride @ motels & camp grounds. The obvious being the fork lock but are those disc locks a good way to go or something else? Thanks

Don

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
I park next to the Harleys. Only problem is if they use the Shadow as ramp step for getting the Harleys into the truck. :)

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
That's good. I'll keep it in mind! ;)
Seriously Gunny, I have used a cable lock through the front wheel and frame. Or if riding with a friend cable lock the frames together of frame to wheel.

Nothing will deter a pro-crook but then again a pro "probably" won't steal a Honda unless pickin's are very slim. Bolt cutters are quite effective and three guys in an open pick-up is all it takes to cut and run.

A deterrent for a joy ride, or drug addled mind is really all the cable lock is good for.....kind of like having a slightly better home security system than your neighbors *just adding deadbolts is all it takes sometimes to make a crook go to the next house.

·
Registered
208 Posts
What do you use when on a road trip to secure your ride @ motels & camp grounds. The obvious being the fork lock but are those disc locks a good way to go or something else? Thanks

Don

I put a Moto Guzzi cover over my bike, no one has ever even looked at it twice.

Second best, chain it to a Moto Guzzi!

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Pick up an old leather pistol holster at the flea market for $1 and strap it on the handlebars.

Mr. Crook will see it and wonder where the pistol is.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Seriously Gunny, I have used a cable lock through the front wheel and frame. Or if riding with a friend cable lock the frames together of frame to wheel.

Nothing will deter a pro-crook but then again a pro "probably" won't steal a Honda unless pickin's are very slim. Bolt cutters are quite effective and three guys in an open pick-up is all it takes to cut and run.

A deterrent for a joy ride, or drug addled mind is really all the cable lock is good for.....kind of like having a slightly better home security system than your neighbors *just adding deadbolts is all it takes sometimes to make a crook go to the next house.
Good humor guys ~ especially the Guzi cover. Cable lock sounds good as I already have 2 for other uses. And I agree - just keeps the honest people honest. Thanks all.

·
Registered
5,811 Posts
I take the key with me when I leave the bike, and I make sure my insurance is paid. Other than that, I never give it a thought.

Stop worrying about things you have no control over and try to enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Stop worrying about things you have no control over and try to enjoy the ride.[/QUOTE]

Good advice. I remember now I've heard (read) you tell others the same. Well taken! Thanks

·
Registered
404 Posts
At a motel most times they will let you park in front of the office under the awnings if you ask nicely and don't block the door or do anything stupid. I have yet to have any tell me no. I just lock the forks on our bikes if they really want to steal it they will.

·
Registered
103 Posts
i used - beside the steering lock - a xena xn15 rotor lock with alarm on my vtx 1300.
will do that with my new aero the same plus a security system, that will disable the whole bike.

when leaving the bike on a trip, i secure my jacket and helmet with a steel cable that has loops at each end and secure that to a solid part of the bike - and lock it with a padlock.
the cable will go through the arms of the jacket, so no one can steal it.

did that when visiting all the state parks and monuments last month - and lost nothing - only the steel cable during my accident (together with my rain cover and gps)

ride safe
harry

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
I lock my fork when I remember to, but I also cover the bike (full cover) not only to protect the bike from the elements at night, but as a rule, most don't see what bike is under the cover, so - "Out of sight, out of mind".
I try to get a parking spot close to my motel room when we travel or ask permission to park it on the sidewalk in front of the room window if possible. I like to keep an eye on my stuff.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the most stolen brand of motorcycles in the US is Honda. Good news is the vast majority are sport bikes. There's a short article at the end of this post.

As far as securing the bike on the road, I just do the fork lock and mainly because it would keep some idiot from switching on the bike and running the battery down. I've heard too many stories of people forgetting about disk locks and tearing up their bikes. You can get a motion alarm put on most bikes, my HD has one installed from the factory but I really have my doubts about its effectiveness.

My strategy is just park in a well lit area as close to the main motel entrance as possible and make sure my insurance is up to snuff. Several years ago I watched two guys steal a Road King from a motel parking lot in Indy. They pulled up with a truck pulling a box trailer, open the trailer doors, slid out a ramp then slid out a mattress on a roller cart and pushed the bike onto the mattress and pushed it into the trailer. Took maybe 2 minutes. I can't think of any device that would have stopped that theft but I suspect that if the owner had parked it in front of the motel, that might have.

Article:
According to data published by the National Insurance Crime Bureau (NICB), Honda motorcycles are the brand most often stolen in the United States. From 2006 to 2009, Honda motorcycles accounted for 25% of all motorcycles stolen in the United States, followed by Yamaha (20%), Suzuki (17%), Kawasaki (11%) and Harley-Davidson (6%). All other brands combined accounted for approximately 10% of motorcycles stolen in this four year period.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
I do alot of traveling in Virginia and West Virginia and it has become customary when checking in that the hotel clerk will usually invite me to park under the portico, where the night watchmen checks on it all night. If I'm not invited I ask permission on check in, if the answer is no, I put a cable lock on the frame and front wheel and go to bed. I always carry full coverage and am always paid up.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I usually take it into the room with me. Sometimes the other people on the elevator ask me if it is a Harley cuz they have a t shirt.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
I park under a light and take my key into the room with me. There is no amount of security that is going to deter the determined criminal.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I'm a big fan of the Grip Lock

Grip-Lock - Scooter and Motorcycle Security Lock

Fairly inexpensive, easy to use, and very visible, so...
1) The would-be-POS thief looking for an easy target may just decided to move on to the next bike and
2) I won't try to ride off with it attached, like I would likely do with a disc lock.

I use it on my scooter all the time because they are lightweight and easy for a couple of POS/thieves to carry away, and on my motorcycle if I have to leave it where it's not in a public area. Otherwise, I always lock the forks.

I camp when touring, so overnight security isn't much of an issue. I always pull my bike right up to the tent. The one time I stayed at a motel, I was able to park right outside the door. I left the window open so I would hopefully hear any mischief.

Keeping my gear safe is another story. I don't have a lock on my saddlebags, tankbag, or luggage...not that anyone with a knife couldn't cut their way into them anyhow.

I just tuck the GPS in its case and bury it in the luggage, throw my jacket over the tankbag, and hang my helmet off the handlebars. So far, I've been lucky. Every time I've come back, it's all been there. I'm going to have to invest in one of those cable locks, though.

The worst thing I did was a couple of weekends ago. I parked the bike and went on a three hour hike. When I got back, everything was still there including the keys, which I had left in the ignition. :shock:
Dumb. :oops:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts