Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like the shop overtightened the cylinder head cover bolts on my 2001 Shadow 750 ACE Deluxe. They clearly tightened them with a machine, not a torque wrench. I cannot seem to loosen them without potentially stripping the bolt. This happened previously to me on a bolt in the rear fender. (That bolt snapped, and has broken a set of reverse bolts and a drill bit as I have sought to remove it.) Here's the skinny. Trying to remove the carberatur for the first time, I followed a YouTuber's advice to pry the carb up with a pry bar. The result? I snapped off an extended piece of the front right cylinder head cover. (This piece seems to only appear on the ACE Deluxe, since I watch many videos that do not have the extention (Part: 12260-MBA-711). I have purchased a replacement from eBay, but the bolts are stuck fast, and I am in danger of stripping them if I put too much pressure on them. (The incident with the rear fender bolt looms large in my mind).

I have put some pentrating oil on the bolts, and pray that it will work its magic, but I am not confident. Any ideas?

· Registered
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
4,965 Posts
Use a shalllow 6 point socket.
They are a big head with a lot of friction area and washer and rubber grommet stiction on a small diameter bolt thread, check out the low 7 ft-lb torque required.
They probably used RTV sealant on the grommet and that is why it is miserable.

Organism Gesture Font Drawing Art

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Use a shalllow 6 point socket.
They are a big head with a lot of friction area and washer and rubber grommet stiction on a small diameter bolt thread, check out the low 7 ft-lb torque required.
They probably used RTV sealant on the grommet and that is why it is miserable.

View attachment 306367
Thanks for the suggestion. I used a torque wrench at 7 pounds and tried a T-27 hex (too small) and a T-30 hex (almost perfect, but starting stripping the bolt head). T-40 is too big. The Allen wrench that came with the bike's tool set fits perfectly, but I'm afraid if I lean too heavily on it, it will snap. Penetrating oil did nothing after 24 hours, and hittng it with a trimming hammer was useless.

BTW, I'm trying to remove the ribbed side cover, not the chromed top (Part #. 12260-MBA-711).

· Registered
4,965 Posts
The ribbed cylinder head cover, IIRC they are just four M6 bolts with a washer and a rubber grommet,
The covers are just ornamental.
They are not Torx they are metric Allen wrench keep the Torx away from the bike.
They should break loose before the allen key breaks or bends just make sure it is seated all the way in the bolt head and make sure it doesn't walk out.
I have a set of allen metric 3/8 drive sockets that I often use in such situations with a ratchet.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The ribbed cylinder head cover, IIRC they are just four M6 bolts with a washer and a rubber grommet,
The covers are just ornamental.
They are not Torx they are metric Allen wrench keep the Torx away from the bike.
They should break loose before the allen key breaks or bends just make sure it is seated all the way in the bolt head and make sure it doesn't walk out.
I have an allen metric 3/8 drive sockets that I often use in such situations with a ratchet.
Yeah, I learned the Torqs are useless. Will return them to the shop tomorrow. Couldn't find the metric 3/8 drive sockets. Will have to dig some more. I will need them to put the replacement cover on, regardless. As for the Allen wrench that came with the bike's tool kit, I can't say I trust it as much as you do. I've already snapped a bolt in the rear fender, so I'm a bit hesitant.

· Registered
4,965 Posts
Yep you need that for the air filter box.
IMO some of the fasteners and alloys on these bikes are victims of Honda saving money.
My covers are all in storage, victims of my ugly attempt at simplification. (-;

For budget conscious folks in the US there is always Harbor Freight.

· Registered
2013 Honda Shadow Phantom 750
4,791 Posts
Yeah, I learned the Torqs are useless. Will return them to the shop tomorrow. Couldn't find the metric 3/8 drive sockets. Will have to dig some more. I will need them to put the replacement cover on, regardless. As for the Allen wrench that came with the bike's tool kit, I can't say I trust it as much as you do. I've already snapped a bolt in the rear fender, so I'm a bit hesitant.
You have a steel bolt going into aluminum so you are more likely to strip the aluminum than the bolt, which is worse. The bolts could not have been tightened that tight in the aluminum so I would say someone has used loctite on the bolts.
Your idea of heat is actually a good one, just be careful around aluminum with the flame because it does not do as good as iron. Also make sure you have the correct tools and the correct size.

• Helpful
Reactions: "Captain D"

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
One bolt stripped today- victim of a T-30 (tried yesterday) followed full weight on the bike kit's Allen wrench. Now I have a stripped bolt that is locked in place... Ideas, please? Thinking of using a vice grips, but they simply bent the previous stuck bolt and never gripped it enough the remove it. I am completely flumaxed and aggravated. Does anyone know how to remove a stripped and overtightened bolt without taking it to a machine shop? Tried the reverse bits on an earlier stuck bolt (on the same bike) - they snapped and did not do the job. Another question might be what job can I send the bike in for that would require the shop to remove this piece? I know some of you out these understand what I'm going through.

· Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
3,199 Posts
I like my impacting screwdriver . Hit with hammer and usually works
I was going to make the same suggestion. The impact wrench would have been the best choice. That jolt with the hammer knocks the bit in holding it in place while reversing the threads at the same time. I didn't think of it yesterday though.

· Registered
2003 Ace Deluxe
214 Posts
ok,
im confused are the allen head bolts that hold the decorative cover on the issue or the actual head cover bolts.?

the allen head bolts are annoying, i have replaced the once on my 03' ace several times over the years as the allen socket fails
if it the allen bolts might as well order some new ones because you are most likely going to have to drill the head off and then pop the decorative cover off and try to get a vise grip on em,
be sure to use some penetrating oil.
you also might try having someone push down on the cover to relieve some of the tension on the head of the bolt while trying to unscrew the rest.

the head cover bolts will strip if over tightened (regular bolt head) dont ask me how i know, if its those bolts then they probably put loctte on em.

let us know

Attachments

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok,
im confused are the allen head bolts that hold the decorative cover on the issue or the actual head cover bolts.?

the allen head bolts are annoying, i have replaced the once on my 03' ace several times over the years as the allen socket fails
if it the allen bolts might as well order some new ones because you are most likely going to have to drill the head off and then pop the decorative cover off and try to get a vise grip on em,
be sure to use some penetrating oil.
you also might try having someone push down on the cover to relieve some of the tension on the head of the bolt while trying to unscrew the rest.

the head cover bolts will strip if over tightened (regular bolt head) dont ask me how i know, if its those bolts then they probably put loctte on em.

let us know
It's the Allen bolt that goes in sideways to hold the cover on - not the chromed top cover, the ribbed side cover. Drilling the head off... ugh. I can only hope a vice grip will work. Watched a bunch of videos about this, and I am not feeling optimistic.

· Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
20,327 Posts
If you can find these type extractor bits they work well in situations like that.

Attachments

· Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,925 Posts
I have some of those extractors and can say, Yes they do a good job...

Good Luck,
Dennis

· Registered
2003 Ace Deluxe
214 Posts
Mark
hi,
ok the ribbed side covers, at least you have more access.
once the allen head is stripped there are still some options.

hoping the allen head socket isnt rounded entirely, take a larger allen tool to sacrifice and carefully file down the flat sides to make it just go into the socket, see if you can get enough bite to turn out the bolt.
be sure to make sure the other bolts are in place to help take some tension off the stripped one.
you may need to push on the allen tool real hard to break it free so it would be good to have someone on the other side of the bike to make sure it does not fall over.

if that fails, i dont think this will work but remove the other bolts and see if you can get any rotation movement from the ribbed fin, if so then rotate in the loosen direction and see if the bolt moves, if it does find a way to rotate, hold the bolt, rotate back and then forth maybe that will work.

another alternative is to find someone with a welder and weld an allen tool to the bolt, that will probably work

if not drill off the allen head / socket remove the fins and then try to get 2 nut on the threads and lock em against each other and see if you can then turn out the remainder of the bolt. IF you get this far put some penetrating oil on the threads for 24 hours before trying to remove, it may help.
last try to get a vice grip on the threads of the bolt and turn it out.

it would really suck if the bolt broke off, still not the end of the world but then you need some skill to drill out the bolt
if you have to go there get some left hand drill bits, hopefully its a clean break, if not file the end so you have a clean flat surface, as best as possible use a center punch to mark the center of the bolt and using a bit smaller than the bolt drill in to about the depth you think you need to (use the other bolts you removed as a guide, i like to put a piece of tape on the bit to mark the depth) be sure to drill straight and level with the way the bolt is .
maybe put some blocks under the frame to level off the bike. would make it easier to drill.

i have had luck drilling out broken bolts this way, amazingly sometimes once the bit gets some depth whats left of the bolt just turns out on the drill bit.

good luck

1 - 20 of 33 Posts