Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When your kids are of age to get a license, will you allow them to ride? None of my boys are old enough yet, but I think that I would be very reluctant to let them ride because of the danger (even though I've been riding for years).

·
Registered
406 Posts
I'm still pretty close to that age where you get your license, but my motorcycle has been the best money I have ever spent on anything period. I'd definitely want my kid to earn a bike and ride it. There's a lot of worse stuff kids my age could be (are) doing.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
only 26 here have three beautiful daughters. if they want to ride they will.

for me i hope to be able to use what ever means of transpo as a bonding thing to further our relationship(not that you asked that much)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I can understand where you are coming from being a Dad. I'm sure my Dad felt the same way and still does. But he knows I will be safe and since I took the course a year ago. I have been riding with him every chance I get and loving it. If it is in their blood then they will ride too. Like it was for me. Their is nothing else like it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have two girls and if they want to ride I will let them. Just a piece of advice though if you aren't gonna allow your kids to ride because you feel it's unsafe, then you need to get off the bike too. If it's not safe for your kids it ain't safe for you either. No disrespect intended...

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I'm almost 50 and still my mother has some very colorful words for me on a bike. But when my daughter are ready to ride. i'll get them in a class, and watch like a hawk. But two out off the three girls will ride. The oldest is look for a shadow now. http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s29/bowlbug/vt600.jpg[/img]

·
Registered
749 Posts
When my son turned 16 I got him a 250cc dirt/street bike. He rode it back and forth to school. He was a good and responsible kid so we never worried about him at all.

·
Registered
339 Posts
My youngest took the HD riding course last year with my wife. Afterwards we got a learner bike for her (listed in my sig). I took it in to get new rubber on it and have a seal replaced. I still need to rebuild the replacement forks I found for her, but she can still ride with what she has.

Cassi only rides with us even though she has her full license. The hard part will come when she goes out on her own. :roll:

The eldest daughter wanted a bike, but due to he not being able to pay attention while driving a car it's just not in the cards. Well, at least for the time being. She needs to get her license back, pay her court bills, go through a driving course again, pay increased insurance rates, and get her current car back on the road again... (Don't ask..)

For us, it depends on the "child's" abilities. Motorcycles aren't for everyone.

Mark

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
I'd get them into riding dirt bikes first. They will learn the basics about handling and evasive manuvers before getting out on the open road. It's a hell of alot easier to get up after a mishap on a dirt bike then it is out on the road. Get them a good helmet and protective gear and they will have a ball. I can't count the times I've been down on my dirt bikes and always got up and got back on. Just my opinion. >PD<

·
Registered
336 Posts
+1 on the dirt bike idea. I personally think that they first need to get some road experience in a car. There are too many things happening on the road and they happen too fast. If they show an interest (my oldest is 15 and she is showing an interest), we'll talk about a dirt bike. Right now she is struggling with keeping up with what's going on around her in the car. She would be dead right now if she were riding a motorcycle. She also knows that she had better never ride with anyone else except me without my permission. I don't want her to get on the back of some testosterone loaded boy's bike who is out to impress her.

However, I think it all comes down to the child and what the parents feel comfortable with. I know of kid's who have had a bike at age 16 and were very responsible with it. I'm just not comfortable letting my kids do it.

One last thing...for those that will say that if I think it is too dangerous for my children, then it is too dangerous for me and I should quit riding, all I have to say is this: I never said it was too dangerous for them. I think that it may be too dangerous for them at that age. Let them drive a car for a couple of years with no accidents and no speeding tickets, then we'll talk. I would love to be able to go out on a ride with my children with them riding their own. I just don't want to do it at the expense of them hurting or killing themselves because they are not ready.

·
Registered
569 Posts
dirt is a very good idea. ive had no formal mc training, but dirt biking in my youth followed by a few years of competition has left me a skilled rider. i would ride with any kid who wanted to ride, soon as i could, while you can teach them how to do it properly and safely, soon enuf, they will be of age and will be able to ride without your approval, imho its good that thay have a solid base if thats what they are gonna do.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I was just thinking about this the other day. Given the proper training, full gear, and MSF courses etc (ok, that would require them to be at least 18 anyway) I think it might actually make them better drivers as well as a decent rider. I would have no issue if they could demonstrate the proper responsibility and discipline. Generally daughters at that age are easier to deal with than sons, so I might be luckier in that case, but I think having the chance to learn (if that is what they want to do) can only help them on the road.

·
Registered
11 Posts
cliffd64 said:
I was just thinking about this the other day. Given the proper training, full gear, and MSF courses etc (ok, that would require them to be at least 18 anyway) I think it might actually make them better drivers as well as a decent rider. I would have no issue if they could demonstrate the proper responsibility and discipline. Generally daughters at that age are easier to deal with than sons, so I might be luckier in that case, but I think having the chance to learn (if that is what they want to do) can only help them on the road.
My son just turned 15 a couple weeks ago, is signed up for the MSF course, and will be riding by me this summer. In Indiana, you only need be 15 and pass the MSF course to get a learner's permit. He'll be riding the shadow.

·
Banned
4,110 Posts
Mid-Life Sabre said:
When your kids are of age to get a license, will you allow them to ride? None of my boys are old enough yet, but I think that I would be very reluctant to let them ride because of the danger (even though I've been riding for years).
Yes. My son already takes mine around the neighborhood now and then and will be taking the MSF this Summer or Autumn.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I've pondered this question many times. I have a few years before they're ready, but right now they both ABSOLUTELY LOVE riding on the bikes. I thought about being a hypocrit, but then it occured to me that if they are responsible enough, and go through training and show me that they are ready, then I'll feel like i've done all i can. I also want to get to that point where I can afford some acreage to let the kids kick around on go-karts and dirt bikes to get the basic function of vehicles down before they are even old enough to get a license.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Last April I took the MSF class with my then 15 year old daughter. She passed the test with flying colors and actually beat me on the riding part but I beat her on the written.........we called it a draw. She went down and got her "M" endorsement on the driving permit at the DMV which caused them much confusion as they don't do many bike endorsements for a 15 yeay old. After that I made good on my promise to get her a bike so we picked up a Honda Rebel. She thought it was too small until she got on a Shadow 600........."I think your right dad, lets get the Rebel".

Well it's been a year since then I still haven't let her loose on her own as she needs more seat time on the bike. She's only put about 400 miles on it so I'm still not going to cut her loose on the Memphis streets any time soon. I have a bike trip planned for her in May so we will double the miles on it in two days of riding.............maybe after that trip I'll be man enough to let her go by herself...........maybe.

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
There are many things my daughter will try in her lifetime that would make me shudder having learned better through experience.

But I think I have inculcated enough common sense that she would take all precautions to lessen the chance of a bad outcome.

Yes, I'd let her ride or join the armed forces or drink.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I'd view it as the opportunity to teach them properly, step by step, how to ride. When I was a kid, I'd jump on a buddy's bike, head down the road and have at it, learning sometimes the hard way. Careful guidance by an MSF instructor and yourself will help you be more relaxed and make them better riders when its time for them to ride on their own.

·
Registered
180 Posts
My son (24 at the time) wanted a motorcycle. I had an olderr one in the garage and told him it was his - after he completed the MSF course. I think the most important aspect is the example Dad sets in how to ride safely.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.