Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok I wanted to get a running post going on the progress of my 2004 Honda Shadow Aero project. Figured it would be cool to just keep one thread with what's been done, and what's going to be done. So let's start!
Here's the bike the day I brought her home. 2004 Honda Shadow Aero 750 with 7500 miles on it.

At the time I bought the Shadow I had been trying to sell my 1994 Acura Integra Show Car with the hopes of starting another project. As I researched the Shadow I soon realized that it would indeed be my next project. First thing I did was take the fenders and tank off to see what it would look like vinyl wrapped flat black

After I got it back it looked alright but a vinyl wrap on a motorcycle clearly doesn't work. The lines can be seen way to much and any little ding you hit the vinyl starts coming up. Looks good from 10 feet away but as you get close you can clearly see the flaws. Also vinyl flames and vinyl decals just don't do bikes justice.. (I got a wonderful deal on the wrap from a friend so I'm not too bummed it didn't turn out that good.)

So I knew that paint would be the route I want to go, but of course need money for that to happen.
So with that said I was able to trade the Integra for a 2000 Harley Fatboy. I was then able to sell the Fatboy to get a decent profit. So now I am meeting with the Painter on Monday (10-24-11) to go over the design and then drop it off for him to begin.
Plans over winter also include: New exhaust, drag bars, lowering kit, and a few chrome covers. The goal with this bike is to ride it and take it around to shows next year for fun. Also it's a fun little project for me and my dad to work on (He has an 07 Shadow Spirit). So here's how the bike sits as of today October 20, 2011.

I will continuously update this thread as more info comes about!

I also have to thank everyone on this site who has already helped me out A TON with my Shadow. I came into the cruiser world completely blind and this site has been awesome. So thanks for that!
Any questions comments or concerns feel free to post!

·
Registered
1,722 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
You are gonna be broke but happy lol

·
Registered
587 Posts
Look forward to seeing how you progress with your project. Pretty damned cool so far..!

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SOLD the Fatboy?!? Already?!?

WOW!!!
I'm an aggressive salesman LOL!

So there's been a new update...I actually cancelled the exhaust order because a friend of mind who I've known forever but had no idea was into motorcycles actually has a shop of his own that builds choppers. Some of the ones I saw were nuts. Long story short he's going to be working with me on exhaust and getting my drag bars done as well.

I've picked a paint theme and I hope it looks good as I think it does in my head. Going with a glossy black with white outlined flames pinstriped. Hopefully about a month i'll have it totally done but I'll def. post pics and updating. Looking forward to this project.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So got the bike to the shop and they started work on it today....here's a rough sketch of the flames (just sketched on the vinyl wrap to get an idea) ...also as you can see I am adding a pink breast cancer ribbon on the side cover...in memory of my Mother.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got some more pics. Custom drag bars are on,....the back has been lowered in the rear 2". Going to see it in person tomorrow.

·
Registered
10,263 Posts
I like where you are going with it! Keep on posting!
Coop

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks man I'm def. happy with it so far. The forks will be raised in the front 3" giving a total of 5" of raise, also they are taking a Mustang seat and fitting it to my bike for me. Paint starts on Tuesday. I'll take some pics tomorrow. Also custom exhaust begins tomorrow as well.

·
Registered
12,291 Posts
No the flat black you see is an old vinyl wrap. I'm doing gloss black with white flames pin striping.
Dude...I'm down with that and extremely happy that you are not doing the flat black!:D

Flat black is WAAAAAAYYYY over done. A Denim Blue satin would be cool as well:

Or, a nice chameleon green like this with copper accents:

Not trying to derail your project, but the Aero 750, to ME, offers a great canvas to create a piece of "rolling artwork" with the fenders, tank, etc.

The Gloss Black with White Flame striping WILL look fantastic on the Aero! Please don't get me wrong! I look forward to seeing it!

I am just pleased as punch that you aren't going flat black!!!:D

·
Registered
12,291 Posts
BTW, for all others: The Phat-Trax is my idea of the only bobber I would EVER care to own or ride (and that is just my opinion). Modified handlebars and adding a front fender might be the only thing I would consider changing from the overall bike. I am not a fan of green paint on any vehicle, but this one strikes a chord with me.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Mark! That green is beautiful. The goal for me is a low rider style. People are gonna ask me why do this to a Shadow as opposed to a Harley..and I'll tell them..because I love my Shadow! LOL Here's some more pics! Got the seat portion mocked up, better pics of the lowering..and the forks have been raised 3". And also a better shot of the drag bars. The exhaust is going to be custom made...2 pipes head back and then will end by pointing down. Iron Horse customs is doing a great job so far! Very excited.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Paint is almost done...the pics are of the white pearl with the flame pinstriped with blue 3m tape. The finished product will be glossy black with white pinstriped flame. Also the exhaust is completely custom and I really like the cover they came up with for it. Also it def. doesn't sound like a Stock Shadow anymore >:)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.