·
Registered
3,537 Posts
the real world ain't a classroom.

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
the real world ain't a classroom.
Just about everything you drive fly sit on and look at was modeled in a computer simulation and quality has improved over the last 20 years.

So yeah if you bought anything major in the last 10 years it was built in a classroom,

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
First thank you for your service from one vet to another.....

And I love people like you that think people like me can't see through your B.S..... You have latched on to the basic theory of COF and keep trying to push the simplified steril classroom application as the end all be all answer. As a engineer you shoud be able to recognize that real world dynamic application tends to throw in variables that require tweaking of basic theory.

As one engineer to another I hope I never work with you... I don't doubt your abilities, it's your arrogance in thinking that you have all the answers.
Its not an arrogance in thinking, I know there are many factors that go into tire performance (including air gaps during dynamic rotation) which is why I cringe when I hear debate about contact surface of MT on bikes. Having the tire on the edge isn't the concern. How that tire handles that loading is... there is no descent conversions about the tire construction of the rubber going on these bikes.

PS my first name is Richard and my last initial is L... kindof of ironic.

·
Registered
619 Posts
just drop it. This is one of the issues, along with loud pipes save lives, riding without a helmet (i think you should), that will always have people arguing over which is better. haha. Everyone has their on preference in tires, pipes, other accessories, and motorcycles. Everyone has their own opinions on which they like better even though they are mostly extremely bias. haha.

Personally i don't like darksiding, i've road other people's bikes that had a car tire on them. (i work in an independent motorcycle shop) I just didn't like how the ride felt.

but i know your not gonna listen to me....because you already know everything their is to know about everything :roll:

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Just about everything you drive fly sit on and look at was modeled in a computer simulation and quality has improved over the last 20 years.

So yeah if you bought anything major in the last 10 years it was built in a classroom,
Whoa whoa whoa....

Almost everything was designed in a "classroom" but if that was all that mattered then things would go straight from the drawing board to production. That is NOT how it's done.
There's a process called "testing" that actually tests the "engineering" of components. A large percentage of products fail testing. Some are reworked and some are discarded. Engineering isn't the be all and end all of real world application. Nothing is built on a computer.

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
just drop it. This is one of the issues, along with loud pipes save lives, riding without a helmet (i think you should), that will always have people arguing over which is better. haha. Everyone has their on preference in tires, pipes, other accessories, and motorcycles. Everyone has their own opinions on which they like better even though they are mostly extremely bias. haha.

Personally i don't like darksiding, i've road other people's bikes that had a car tire on them. (i work in an independent motorcycle shop) I just didn't like how the ride felt.

but i know your not gonna listen to me....because you already know everything their is to know about everything :roll:
I don't know everything... I can't figure out how to keep a goldfish alive to save my life

·
Super Moderator
6,493 Posts
I think the highest pull you can get from a tire is 1 g... make a tire as big as you want... you wont get any more out of it.

Dang! And all these years all those drag racing cars could have gone just as fast down the quarter mile with skinny tires on the rear.

Look at this fool! Had he listened to your logic, he could have saved some weight by running tires on the rear with less contact area; propelling him even faster down the track.

Sometimes even tried and true professionals don't get it........
Phil

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Its not an arrogance in thinking, I know there are many factors that go into tire performance (including air gaps during dynamic rotation) which is why I cringe when I hear debate about contact surface of MT on bikes. Having the tire on the edge isn't the concern. How that tire handles that loading is... there is no descent conversions about the tire construction of the rubber going on these bikes.

PS my first name is Richard and my last initial is L... kindof of ironic.
So ya'll are the same guy and are just trying to stir up views and responses to the thread, eh? Sneaky Sneaky.

Personally I think you are both wrong and both right. I need you to both give me your impressions of the tires below. Explain the COF, Contact Patch, Theory, and Real World Variable Applications that apply and why. You will be graded on your response.

And please no hijacks concerning the lack of a helmet, protective footwear, or the straight pipes.

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
OK in my defense I've had a hell of a Thanksgiving with the ex wife withholding my kids on me on account of my new girlfriend being at the dinner. So I was primed for a rant.

Secondly, coefficient of friction is constant. The total value the tire can put to the road can be reduced with certain tread designs. So yea we are both right.

Third if you put skinny rear tires on a dragster you would have to inflant to a gazillion PSI to support the vechicle and weight transfer.

Forth I am going to shut up, throw back and few beers while I come up with a strategy to deal with my miserable ex in court next week to ensure this doesn't happen again.

Goodnight all.

·
Super Moderator
6,493 Posts
Yes, a rowdy crowd this is!
But, if we didn't have any discussions, everybody would have to learn everything by themselves.
Dan
Yes, this is true........ everybody knows that learning the "wrong" thing is better than learning nothing at all.
Phil

·
Registered
16,515 Posts
Well, I dunno...
It`s time to replace the rear Pirrelli, so I`m looking looking fer a used 165/80-15 CT as this subject emerged...
My first 750 four (back in `72) had a Goodyear AT Eagle with a "Flat" tread pattern, but I didn`t wear it out as quickly as I wear out these rounded tires today...
Please note that my wear pattern is primarily on the middle ~ Very little side tread wear...FL&GA roads NOT Mountainous twisties
Our 5,400 miles Sturgis trip, included a "Double Darkside" rider...(his words)
That is a Rear MC on the front with a CT on back...
Point to ponder> 14,000 miles, so far, on these Pirellis ain`t too bad!!!
Dennis
We support ABATE

·
Registered
581 Posts
I completely missed out on this one. :cry: Knew I should have tuned in as soon as it popped up. Damn life screwing up my internet time.

Can we start over?

I know a car tire won't work on a bike because they're called CAR tires! Take that!

81 - 100 of 147 Posts