Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So iv had my vlx 600 for a little over a month now and iv rode a few hundred miles in that time but not alot of highway miles. It had a windshield on it and the wind would kill my head. So I took it off. Now it's way worse haha I know there's going to be wind but is it something you just have to get used to? Or can I get a better windshield that will knock more of it off?

·
Registered
03 750 ACE / Michigan
59 Posts
Wind management is a very personal thing, much like saddle choice. If you're interested in the science behind it, check out this website:

https://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Fairing.html

To get it set up for you, start by setting it more or less parallel with the forks. When you sit on the bike in riding position, most people want to be just looking over the top. If you slouch a bit when you ride, slouch a bit when you check this. Once that is set (limited by the amount of height and angle adjustment available) you can start to refine the fit. If it's too tall you can trim it, but be sure before you make any cuts. If it's too short there are add-ons which can help eliminate buffeting, such as the Memphis Shades Hot Wing or lower deflectors which smooth out the air flow. You want the top of your bubble to be at around the top of your helmet.

My personal preference is for the top of the windshield to be several inches below eye level. I set it shorter than a lot of riders my height. I might give up a little rain protection, but I can hunker down for that. There is a certain amount of just getting used to it.

·
Registered
294 Posts
The right windscreen will take a lot of the wind off, and a fairing plus screen can do this plus reduce aerodynamic drag.

A windscreen poorly shaped, sized or placed can be worse than nothing if the vortex pattern it's shedding buffets your head.

It's probably easier on a machine with less reclined seating, but I been able to make substantial improvements in comfort by changing height and especially with changing (generally reducing) angle of incidence of windscreens. If the windshield mounting allows for movement, experiment, you may find you can make a big change in the perceived wind with a small adjustment of position and/or angle.

·
Registered
04 shadow aero
213 Posts
I refuse to have a windshield. But having a backrest helps out a lot

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thsnks guys i have been looking at different windshield options and fairings but like yall said I think I just need to suck it up and ride!

·
Registered
Shadow VT700c 1986, ST1300 08
489 Posts
I had a windscreen on my shadow and remove it.
Gets a bit to get used to it but what I noticed is that from 60mph the wind disturbance doesn't change much.
You will feel the difference up to 60 but then stabilizes.
Did a few 100's miles without the screen and the only complaint would be the bugs. You will eat a lot more :D

·
Registered
03 750 ACE / Michigan
59 Posts
[snip]...the only complaint would be the bugs. You will eat a lot more :D
That's what first convinced me to start riding with a windshield. Many moons ago I was riding with my Dad, in the runup to my first big road trip. I was riding an '83 Yamaha XJ750 (wish I still had that bike), of course with no windshield. He was riding an Electra-glide, of course with one. Side-by-side in the lane, we went through a big cloud of grasshoppers that had been kicked up by a farmer mowing his hayfield. I don't know how many of 'em hit me in total, but at least two got me directly in the mouth.

As I was spitting and sputtering, I saw him look toward me, cigarette in his mouth, grinning as big as could be. I bought a windshield shortly thereafter, and have pretty much always used one since.

·
Registered
Shadow VT700c 1986, ST1300 08
489 Posts
If you have grasshopper for lunch you saved for petrol :D

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
9,546 Posts
I was very hesitant about a windshield at 1 st. so I bought a SS 06 Spitfire @ under a $100 as a experiment and had the it for 4 1/2 yrs. before I went to a SS 17" Viper. The air & bugs flowed away very well w/o buffeting. Best shield I've owned out of the box so far. My SS 30 17" Classic does ok until about 60 mph. before buffeting begins but I made some lowers that eliminates it but the lack of dispersion of heat at lower speeds, not very comfortable except in the spring & fall.

·
Registered
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
4,026 Posts
I prefer no windshield in everyday riding, but it does pop back on the bike for trips in mixed weather or if I'm looking at prime bug harvesting times.
It is a Memphis Fats that came with the bike, it was too short for me with stock handlebars, but is good now with lower handlebars with me more over the tank.
I would add lowers if it was going to stay on the bike for any length of time, but I'm a wind in the face type, so it is not on the bike for more than two or three days at a time.
Subjectively performance wise it seems like a wash in fuel economy and slows acceleration a bit, but I'm not exactly an aero body without it.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Thsnks guys i have been looking at different windshield options and fairings but like yall said I think I just need to suck it up and ride!
Yeah, pretty much.

Until a couple of years ago I never used a windshield. I was gifted a windshield by @Coop so I installed it and immediately found that I no longer had to use earplugs. The difference in the wind took a bit to get use to, instead of the normal frontal wind it now comes from below and the sides.

The only other benefit for me is that when above 45 mph I don’t get rain pelted in the face. I still get just as wet as I did before.

I have left the WS on the bike because I cannot stand to ride with earplugs. Just a personal thing.

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,252 Posts
At the end of the day, a real day of riding, not just around town be hopping....you feel 10x better after riding with a shield! No doubt, it keeps noise down and ears from ringing.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I spent 11 years looking for a windshield that actually worked. Found a Madstad for a RoadGlide I adapted to my VT1100T shield, It works. I did have to add deflectors to the engine guard to deflect that lower air up behind the shield. Search, there are pics and more detail in earlier posts this year. That was almost 10 years ago, still liking it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I put mine back on and moved it up a little and it's way better but I'm still gonna hunt for a good one. Thanks yall!

·
Registered
2002 Shadow VLX
148 Posts
This thread was entertaining to read. :)

I had mine for a while and removed since the constant wind was better than hammering type with windshield. Maybe the position. I use a full face helmet and bugs are always a problem especially time of day and when riding country roads.

Im going to put it back and adjust to see if its going to get any better. Two weeks before when riding something big hit and thought it was a stone due to sound, but not sure what, the stain is all over the helmet windshield. Cleaning them is a pain after every ride.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Before my memphis shades batwing with lowers and 11 inch windshield I had on a National Cycle Switchblade with the "chopped" wind screen and the chrome lowers for about 11 years. It was whisper quiet and calm as be be at any speed.
The batwing is the same after I got the right size windshield and added the lowers. Nose height on the shield and the lowers seems to be the key.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Well funded manufacturers and sponsors of racing teams will spend big bucks on computer analysis of aero drag.

I've seen streamers of thin mylar attached to the sails of racing boats, to help their captains and helmsmen, visualize airflow over the sails. In wind tunnels, smoke is injected to help visualize what is happening. I wonder what moto riders could do, besides trial and error, to help quantify changes in wind buffeting?

I bet the signal from a microphone would register changes in buffeting frequency and intensity, but it would have to be a robust mic, or it would be trashed in short order.

Folks trying out windshields and fairings should keep in the back of their mind, that anything added to the bike, and especially to the steerable part of the fork, does affect the bikes dynamics, including it's wobble and weave characteristics. Shadows have such generous rake and trail, it's unlikely to have wobble problems, but.... Make changes deliberately and explore performance limits carefully.

·
Registered
03 750 ACE / Michigan
59 Posts
Well funded manufacturers and sponsors of racing teams will spend big bucks on computer analysis of aero drag.
View attachment 296626

I've seen streamers of thin mylar attached to the sails of racing boats, to help their captains and helmsmen, visualize airflow over the sails. In wind tunnels, smoke is injected to help visualize what is happening. I wonder what moto riders could do, besides trial and error, to help quantify changes in wind buffeting?

I bet the signal from a microphone would register changes in buffeting frequency and intensity, but it would have to be a robust mic, or it would be trashed in short order.

Folks trying out windshields and fairings should keep in the back of their mind, that anything added to the bike, and especially to the steerable part of the fork, does affect the bikes dynamics, including it's wobble and weave characteristics. Shadows have such generous rake and trail, it's unlikely to have wobble problems, but.... Make changes deliberately and explore performance limits carefully.
Well, now I kinda want to tape little ribbons all over the front of my bike and go for a ride.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts