Honda Shadow Forums banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
That "paint shaker" feeling is caused by a Kármán vortex street:

Any time you stick something in a fluid stream, water, air, etc., they will develop. Ever ran a stick through water and felt that 'thrumming' vibration? all the way up to volcanos in clouds...

1ShadowSabre, I had a Nat Cycle Chopped and their lowers on my 01 750 Ace, worst shield I've ever ridden behind. Bike was un-ridable over 35. Were you looking through yours or over it? If over, I don't understand, your setup doesn't look that much different. Mine seemed better if I slouched down low and looked through it.

My theory is the Madstad type 2-layer setups work as with 2 layers, the air going between the layers means there is no vacuum behind the 1st layer and the 2nd layer doesn't have air hitting it at 90 degrees. Could be completely wrong, but it does work.

·
Registered
'07 Shadow Aero 750
3,171 Posts
No windshield for me.... 46,266 miles (and counting) and never had a problem with the wind. Granted, okay, yes, I stop about every hour or hour & a half for gas, stretch my legs, my bag, wiggle my arms and shoulders, and repeat, repeat, repeat...

·
Registered
53 Posts
That "paint shaker" feeling is caused by a Kármán vortex street:

Any time you stick something in a fluid stream, water, air, etc., they will develop. Ever ran a stick through water and felt that 'thrumming' vibration? all the way up to volcanos in clouds...

1ShadowSabre, I had a Nat Cycle Chopped and their lowers on my 01 750 Ace, worst shield I've ever ridden behind. Bike was un-ridable over 35. Were you looking through yours or over it? If over, I don't understand, your setup doesn't look that much different. Mine seemed better if I slouched down low and looked through it.

My theory is the Madstad type 2-layer setups work as with 2 layers, the air going between the layers means there is no vacuum behind the 1st layer and the 2nd layer doesn't have air hitting it at 90 degrees. Could be completely wrong, but it does work.
Boy, I remember when I first put that Nat Cycle Chopped windshield on it just about ripped my helmet off. I couldn't wait to get it off! I reevaluated, added the chrome lowers and magic! I could actually have a conversation with my wife on the back. The top of the shield was exactly where most manufacturers recommend, right about nose height so I could look over it naturally. I actually DO NOT like looking through a screen at all. I set the B.W. fairing up the same way and it is so smooth at any speed. Must be a difference in the way the bikes sit or something. I rarely ever put my faceshield down and it doesn't even rattle a bit!
That being said, if you found a system that works for you it is an absolute credit to your ingenuity!

·
Registered
2001 ACE VT750CD2
75 Posts
I don't use a windshield, I removed the one on my bike. The wind doesn't bother me but the bugs do, so I wear a gaiter or a bandana on my face.

·
Registered
11 Posts
So iv had my vlx 600 for a little over a month now and iv rode a few hundred miles in that time but not alot of highway miles. It had a windshield on it and the wind would kill my head. So I took it off. Now it's way worse haha I know there's going to be wind but is it something you just have to get used to? Or can I get a better windshield that will knock more of it off?
There are a good many different windshield designs, and some work quite well. Others don't. Problem is, you have to buy it to try it. And they don't come cheap.

·
Registered
4 Posts
When I got my 84 VT700C about 5 years ago it had a National Cycle Street Shield on it. I've put about 15,000 miles on it and I love the shield. I almost never put my face shield down and there is no buffeting. I recently went on a 200 mile poker run and was completely comfortable all the way. The top of the shield is about nose height. I have no trouble cruising at 70 mph, and occasionally hit 80 on the open road.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
After bringing the shield up a bit it helped. 70 is fine still smacks my head around but I'm getting used to it. My 600 can ride at 70-80 but it dont like it lol it's more of a 55 kind of bike!

·
Registered
2019 Phantom VT750C2B [black/ shaft/ 5gear/ hard bags/ shield]
25 Posts
So iv had my vlx 600 for a little over a month now and iv rode a few hundred miles in that time but not alot of highway miles. It had a windshield on it and the wind would kill my head. So I took it off. Now it's way worse haha I know there's going to be wind but is it something you just have to get used to? Or can I get a better windshield that will knock more of it off?
-- You will get used to it either way, how ever comfortable you wish to be, large or small shield, you chose. After I put a medium 'Puig' windshield and hard bags I felt a slight difference in velocity reduction, but after getting used to it I notice the wind going around me more, which is good. I like the wind shield on my Phantom, it keeps bugs away. Peace. JB

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
When I got my 84 VT700C about 5 years ago it had a National Cycle Street Shield on it. I've put about 15,000 miles on it and I love the shield. I almost never put my face shield down and there is no buffeting. I recently went on a 200 mile poker run and was completely comfortable all the way. The top of the shield is about nose height. I have no trouble cruising at 70 mph, and occasionally hit 80 on the open road.
I could never get mine "just right". Most of my height is in my torso and it always seemed my helmet was getting the paint shaker routine or if I raised the shield up I'd get bugs thrown up from under my helmet. I like it with no windscreen. I mostly ride dual sport, dirt or ADV style bikes now and only one has a windscreen. Always feels kind of weird to be behind one now. Almost like I'm not getting all the fun of the ride not getting to feel the wind on me.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
-- You will get used to it either way, how ever comfortable you wish to be, large or small shield, you chose. After I put a medium 'Puig' windshield and hard bags I felt a slight difference in velocity reduction, but after getting used to it I notice the wind going around me more, which is good. I like the wind shield on my Phantom, it keeps bugs away. Peace. JB
Iv gotten used to it more and more everytime I get on the highway. Above 55 or so is really the only time i notice it. Thanks guys be safe!

·
Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
2,166 Posts
Boy, I remember when I first put that Nat Cycle Chopped windshield on it just about ripped my helmet off. I couldn't wait to get it off! I reevaluated, added the chrome lowers and magic! I could actually have a conversation with my wife on the back. The top of the shield was exactly where most manufacturers recommend, right about nose height so I could look over it naturally. I actually DO NOT like looking through a screen at all. I set the B.W. fairing up the same way and it is so smooth at any speed. Must be a difference in the way the bikes sit or something. I rarely ever put my faceshield down and it doesn't even rattle a bit!
That being said, if you found a system that works for you it is an absolute credit to your ingenuity!
Which chrome lowers did you use? Did you mount them to the crash bars or on the forks?

·
Registered
Shadow VT700c 1986, ST1300 08
489 Posts
I don't mind the bugs, some taste like chicken :p
what I don't like is the grit from the cars in front of me or the large bugs that will need chewing :rolleyes: You don't want to be chewing with a full face helmet...
Yesterday I was hit on the face by a large bug and wasn't pleasant.

Reactions: kesanders

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Which chrome lowers did you use? Did you mount them to the crash bars or on the forks?
I think we both had the Nat Cycle lowers with the Chopped. At 5'11" and 32" inseam, I couldn't ride behind the Chopped even with them, Bought their 2-up SwitchBlade, better, still turbulent for me,,, then their SwitchBlade Deflector, it had an adjustable angle and when laid back all the way took a lot of the wind off my body while leaving my helmet in clean air. Was OK with a face shield. Replaced the shield with a Memphis Shades fats. Cut it down and added a Madstad to the Memphis Shades. much better but still more turbulence than my other two bikes with Madstads. In hindsight, I think the lowers needed to be further back, like on an engine guard I didn't have...

Reactions: kesanders

·
Registered
17 Posts
I’ve been wondering about this. I’ve been riding a few months on my current bike. No wind or face shield. I had a couple bikes when I was young, and at least had face shields then. Currently I am using a half helmet without a face shield. My problem is that I have a big head. When I went shopping for a helmet, the only full helmet I could find that fit was at the local Harley store. It was a 4xl, and was quite expensive. More helmet than I wanted, in several ways. So I guess I’m stuck with eating bugs for now.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
At the end of the day, a real day of riding, not just around town be hopping....you feel 10x better after riding with a shield! No doubt, it keeps noise down and ears from ringing.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Hello Coop....long time.

I put a faring on to cut the wind noise. Even with ear plugs it was a bit much. Head buffeting was greatly reduced by adding lowers tot he forks and little extension pieces to the lower edges of the faring.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
In the mid 80's I bought a new H-D in Reno NV and then took off across the state heading east on Hwy 80. Being that it was a H-D you know I had to wrap my skull in the smallest helmet possible and wore aviator shades. After riding all day and well through the night I finally made it to Salt Lake City with numerous welts on my head and face from big friggin bugs and eyes full of gnats and other little flying critters. That little beanie helmet went into the trash, I bought a new full face and have never looked back. I'll never ride behind a windscreen but I'll never wear anything but a full faced helmet either.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts