Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being new to hondas wanted your opinion on these 2 bikes:

VTX1800 2002 9800 miles $5000
Addons are as followed. Pro Charger II intake, Tech Illusion power control box, Hance and Hines Big Shot Exhaust, and a 200 Rear tire witch fits with no mods. The windshield is by Switch Blade (witch is detachable in 10 seconds easy) and the front fork air deflectors are also by Switchblade , these realy cut down on the up drafts from under the windshield. Grips and front pegs have been up graded. There is also a rigid back rest.
OR

1999 HONDA 1100 ACE 5,000 mi $4800 - $5000,

Touring pkg, V&H cust pipes, K&N filters, hard factory bags w/locks, cust backrest, shield, stereo

Both are near perfect condition good paint no dents or dings anyone have any opinion on either bike?

Thanks for your time

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I've got the ACE, I'd go for the VTX.

The ACE is nice, and IF the ACE with the touring package is the ACE tourer it's set up with nice hard bags, the smoother Spirit engine and is a real nice set up. But parts availibility for the ACE is dropping fast, and no new add ons for the ACE are being developed I imagine. Seems like the VTX is Hondas platform for the near future.

Sam

·
Banned
4,110 Posts
The VTX has top notch brakes, fuel injection (only on the 1800s) and a twin pin crank (again, only on the 1800s). In *this* case, I'd recommend the VTX over your other choice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input so far yes the ace has the aftermarket seat and hard bags as well.. So far looks like the 1800 for the win :wink:

·
Registered
227 Posts
Another vote for the VTX.
Glen

·
Registered
188 Posts
bike choice

I go for the ACE.

I do not like the look of the VTX series and i heard that the VTX is a pain to maneuver at low speed. The VTX 1800 looses value like a rock, never got off the dealers hands, can get them for cheap. Lots of power but when do you realy use it ???

The ACE has this old classic look that no VTX will match. After market parts is no big deal when the set-up you have is satisfactory, and you can have any shop make what you need for lil more than in the stores.

Reliabilty is not an issue for either bike. In 10 years the ACE will worth more than the VTX on the used market (stock for stock)

The ACE can go for 100K miles with no major repair.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Both bikes cost the same. The VTX 1800 is a newer bike, with just a tad more miles, but still both under 10K miles. VTX is a superior bike from a technology point of view.

I'm struggling to see how the VTX could lose this battle.

The only thing I can see going in favor of the ACE is the appearance of the bike (this was Bwadife's criteria, which is perfectly legitimate). Also, the VTX is a lot of bike, and for a newcomer to biking it might be a bit intimidating at first.

·
Registered
94 Posts
What are you riding now/moving up from? If this is a first bike, I wouldn't recommend either...but the 1100 is the lesser of two evils that being the case.

·
Registered
206 Posts
VTX, but i am partial to em! :wink:
Robert

·
Registered
296 Posts
vtxrob said:
VTX, but i am partial to em! :wink:
Robert
Are you really Rob? You could have fooled me. :wink:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Shadow Shack said:
What are you riding now/moving up from? If this is a first bike, I wouldn't recommend either...but the 1100 is the lesser of two evils that being the case.
I am going from a 750 ace, isnt my first bike I but only been riding about 2 years.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Okay scratch that then...you pick 'em LOL

·
Registered
365 Posts
I suggest at least sitting on them both. I sat on a lot of Honda's at various bike shows. It seemed that the 1800 VTX did not have a comfortable center of gravity as did the 1300 VTX. It seemed top heavy and "tipsy".

Either way, they are both Honda's.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I don't know what your riding experience is. The vtx is certainly not a beginners bike, but if you're an experienced rider, I'd conclude that the vtx would be all the bike you'd ever need.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts