Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about this the other day after I found out about a guy who was selling his bike because he was tired of riding bar to bar to bar to bar to bar to bar.

Was he a poser because that is all he did, and now that he doesnt want to become a stain, is selling the bike?

Or is a poser one who puts more miles on the sponge than on the tires?

Or is a poser one who buys a bike in a effort to look "bad"?

I was just wondering where "poser" falls on the line. I figure:

Poser
Squid/Poser
Squid
Rider
Hard core rider
Iron Butt

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
A poser is everyone. We are all try to project some self image. Iron butt is a feat but it also projects an image.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Sorry,

I thought a poser was someone that puts the sticker on their windshield, wears the t-shirts, talks the trash but has no bike. In other words.....

there are 2 types of people....those who ride...and those that don't. Some just ride more than others.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
From Wiktionary.com

poser (plural posers)

(derogatory) Someone who, of acting, dressing, collecting items, making statements, in a way so as to gain social standing (rather than in honest personal preference), shows enough of these characteristics for it to be defining to his/her character or comprises the majority of his/her compliance to a certain subculture or other social categorization.
I think this sums it up fairly well.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Spirit_1100 said:
From Wiktionary.com

poser (plural posers)

(derogatory) Someone who, of acting, dressing, collecting items, making statements, in a way so as to gain social standing (rather than in honest personal preference), shows enough of these characteristics for it to be defining to his/her character or comprises the majority of his/her compliance to a certain subculture or other social categorization.
Thanks......I think............. :wink:

Subculture

A group within a society that has its own shared set of customs, attitudes, and values, often accompanied by jargon or slang. A subculture can be organized around a common activity, occupation, age, status, ethnic background, race, religion, or any other unifying social condition, but the term is often used to describe deviant groups, such as thieves and drug users.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
I can't answer that question. I guess we need to have names for each catigory of bikes/riders nowadays to be politically correct. One term that pops up around here alot is the term "bar bikes".
There is a bar across the highway from my house, which I can see right out my window. On any given day during riding season, there are always a number of bikes backed up in front of it ( I'll let you guess on the brand of bike and leave it at that) And about 11 - 12 pm, they start their engines and storm off to go home (or maybe last call at another establishment) To me, those are "bar bikes".
Although I do not practice giving people names or putting them in catigories seems stereo typical, but we all find ourselves doing it from time to time.
I ride my bike(s) on a regular occasion, sometimes to go to town to get something, sometimes just to clear my head, sometimes just because the weather is nice. Sometimes I go on all day runs to ride with other bikes to enjoy comerodery and share a meal with them talking bikes/riding, etc.
Sometimes I go on 3000-4000 mile trips with my gal to enjoy the mountains out west and meet the locals. I have been riding all kinds of bikes for 36 years and consider myself a biker of sorts. I don't make it a habit of stopping at bars and if I do, I never drink alcohol while I ride or drive.
What would you call me? Just curious. Am I in a catigory? I don't think I am a "poser" and if I am....I will pose for you. >PD<

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
I suspose you could put the poser to biker question on a sliding scale
1 = poser - wants a bike
10 = Hard core 24X7 rider

I would have to say I am a 6 maybe a 7

I do other things too, like boating, golf, fishing.

But I take week long rides once or twice a year and 300+ mile day trips occassionally. Several weekend or 3 day trips a year. Every couple weekends get out for a day ride to the mountains or into WV exploring.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Varmintmist said:
I was thinking about this the other day after I found out about a guy who was selling his bike because he was tired of riding bar to bar to bar to bar to bar to bar.

Was he a poser because that is all he did, and now that he doesnt want to become a stain, is selling the bike?

Or is a poser one who puts more miles on the sponge than on the tires?

Or is a poser one who buys a bike in a effort to look "bad"?

I was just wondering where "poser" falls on the line. I figure:

Poser
Squid/Poser
Squid
Rider
Hard core rider
Iron Butt
I think Poser is more of a sub description

you know Squid-Poser,Rider-Poser, Iron Butt-Poser

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I'm with Hondo. A poser to me is the guy with the branded clothing, boots, sticker on cage of choice and no bike. If you own a bike, ride the bike, then you are a biker. There may be degrees, but you are still a biker.

·
Registered
902 Posts
In my book, there's nothing wrong with aspiring to something you can't yet lay claim to. I aspire to be like some of the more experienced, skilled and adventuresome riders we all know, and while I can't claim to be like them (yet) I don't think that makes me a poser.
But if you have it backwards... if you try to claim, by words or by clothing or whatever, that you are something you lack the commitment or desire to strive to become... then you are a poser.

Not having arrived is no sin.
Claiming to have arrived if you haven't got the stuff to even begin the journey is.

-Glenn

·
Registered
87 Posts
Varmintmist said:
Poser
Squid/Poser
Squid
Rider
Hard core rider
Iron Butt

I was wondering why Newbie was at the top of the list indicating that someone that just got a bike and wanted to start riding would be rated so low ?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I agree a newbie should be just above rider. And I think a poser is someone
1. who doesnt have a bike and never will but claims to be a great rider
2. who has a big honkin bike parked in his garage that he/she was on one time went around the block almost dropped 27 times scared the hell out of him/herself and hasnt touched for 35 years but still shows all his buddys and stray passerbys his badass bike

·
Banned
4,110 Posts
To me, it's the guys on the sport bikes who ride an hour to sit in a wawa parking lot for 4 hours, and the harley guys who ride to the bar then ride home.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Spirit_1100 said:
From Wiktionary.com

poser (plural posers)

In other words, someone who talks the talk but doesn't walk the walk.

sanoke

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
chornbe said:
To me, it's the guys on the sport bikes who ride an hour to sit in a wawa parking lot for 4 hours, and the harley guys who ride to the bar then ride home.
I consider those people riders too. They just don't ride for the same reason's I do.

I think a poser is someone who claims to be a rider, but isn't.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I figured a poser bought a bike and rides for the look instead the looks for the ride. Does that make sense?

I figured newbie at the beggining because you can go all the way to a Iron butt from there or stop at any one along the way.

·
Registered
87 Posts
A Newbie should rate higher than a Poser, as a Poser for the most part don't even own a bike.

There have been Newbies that worked their way up the list (or in this case down the list) without going thru the Squid, Poser phase. So I agree that Newbie should be right before Rider.

How do RUB's fit in ??

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am a new rider...However I take extreme offense at being called a poser. How would I be a poser? I have a bike dont I? I put 4500 miles on it between last September and today. I get pissed off at everyone trying to label and categorize everything. It just gets old.

You may debate if you want...I'll be riding.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
greg1979 said:
I am a new rider...However I take extreme offense at being called a poser. How would I be a poser? I have a bike dont I? I put 4500 miles on it between last September and today. I get pissed off at everyone trying to label and categorize everything. It just gets old.

You may debate if you want...I'll be riding.
Thank You.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.