Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bike: 2000 Honda Shadow Ace D 750 14000k, I Noticed a fewtimes the signal lights are first stuck on few secs then they start blinking. All this while I can hear the blinker clicking .They did not do this before use to come right on . I suspect a couple of diff reasons a. The blinker is toast or geting there and needs replacing b. bad switch c. Moisture in switch ? If c will compressed air help ? Hell idk.

· Registered
4,079 Posts
I Noticed a fewtimes the signal lights are first stuck on few secs then they start blinking. All this while I can hear the blinker clicking .They did not do this before use to come right on .
  • Moisture in switch ? will compressed air help ?
you need to add blinker fluid, immediately.

"compressed air," also, canned air won't work by itself. So buy some contact cleaner also in aerosol. Then blast the insides of the left-hand control housing. Then dab everything that moves that you can reach with dielectric grease. The left-hand control clamshells are held together by 2 screws, one is longer than the other. During the colder weather the lube inside the clamshells tends to harden like ear wax sorta.

· Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,925 Posts
Yeah, me too...
IF the flasher unit weren`t making that "clicking", I`d suspect the switch, first...
However being as the flasher is "clicking" I`d start cleaning the bulb contacts, wiring and plugs...
Corrosion causes problems, as do loose and dirty connections...

Good Luck,
D

· Registered
11,729 Posts
you need to add blinker fluid, immediately.

"compressed air," also, canned air won't work by itself. So buy some contact cleaner also in aerosol. Then blast the insides of the left-hand control housing. Then dab everything that moves that you can reach with dielectric grease. The left-hand control clamshells are held together by 2 screws, one is longer than the other. During the colder weather the lube inside the clamshells tends to harden like ear wax sorta.
If the switch was the problem the flasher relay would not be clicking. Time for a new flasher relay.

· Registered
4,079 Posts
flasher relays are generic. However, it's getting a replacement with the same shape that fits inside the stock rubber holder. I don't think the flasher is the problem, though. But then, a new flasher would eliminate that possibility. Try finagle the plug on the flasher.

However being as the flasher is "clicking" I`d start cleaning the bulb contacts, wiring and plugs...
agreed.

If the switch was the problem the flasher relay would not be clicking. Time for a new flasher relay.
Okay, the switch isn't the snag. Over sight on my part.

· Registered
4,011 Posts
Flasher & bulbs are going to run you < $20

Throw in some steel wool and an old pencil to clean the contacts, particularly the front contacts and you're still under $20.

If you need to replace the rubber gaskets on the signals, you might break $25 for the entire set.

If none of this solves the problem, report back and we'll look at other options.

· Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,925 Posts
Call me a tightwad!
Free has its merit, Money is tight and I don`t have any to throw away on parts, until I KNOW the part is faulty...
When my flasher went bad, the flasher unit I replaced it with came from O`Rielleys for $12 or so...
I always try the diagnostic approach and sometimes come out without having to spend Hondabuck$ if it`s a dirty connection or loose plug...

Good Luck on this,
D
Don`t forget to VOTE today

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.