Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike, 2018 VT750C2B Honda Shadow Phantom just started not starting right away. When I press the ignition button, it hesitates a couple seconds before turning on. I'm worried eventually it won't turn on at all. Until now it started right up. Any ideas what's going on?

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
14,943 Posts
Try cleaning the start switch contacts first. They get corroded and won't make good contact.
Be careful of a coupe of small parts.

·
Premium Member
2000 Honda Shadow Spirit VT1100C
3,403 Posts
I'm with @swifty2014. Sounds like the contacts are starting to corrode. At two years old, I'm surprised it's doing it so soon. Do you live on the east or west coast where the air is salty?

First thing I'd do is double check the battery cable connections, though.

At any rate, it's nothing serious that you have to worry about, though.

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
3,804 Posts
A 2018 I am thinking may be too new for corrosion but is it electronic PGM etc? Are you just touching the start button or holding it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A 2018 I am thinking may be too new for corrosion but is it electronic PBM etc? Are you just touching the start button or holding it?
What's electronic PBM? I held the ignition button and it did nothing for a couple of seconds before starting. Pretty sure it wasn't operators failure, engaging clutch ect...because I wouldn't do that while the button was pressed. It was strange. But it happened several times.

·
Registered
606 Posts
He might be referring to the new systems where you only have to press the button/turn the key for a second, then the starter engages on its own until the engine starts.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
14,943 Posts
Do you mean it cranks for a few seconds just fine, but doesn't fire up?
That is a different story.
This a fuel injection system and maybe the fuel pressure regulator is seeping off the pressure in the line, and it take a couple of seconds to built up to the 50 pounds it needs to spray through the injectors. It happens on cars that way.

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
3,804 Posts
What's electronic PBM? I held the ignition button and it did nothing for a couple of seconds before starting. Pretty sure it wasn't operators failure, engaging clutch ect...because I wouldn't do that while the button was pressed. It was strange. But it happened several times.

Sorry, typing error as I was trying to type PGM ie Programmed fuel injection. So to clarify what is happening is you press the starter and then the engine does not start right away but does start?

Starting these systems is different than an older choke etc. The starting procedure is NO throttle. Press the starter button and dont hold it. Engine needs to do a few things before starting and Honda mentions a few seconds may go by. If engine is starting and running well a 1 or 2 second delay is OK.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts