Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally did some maintenance today that I have put off for way too long.

-changed the final drive oil.
-changed the antifreeze
-changed the brake fluid. (finally used the mityvac that I got at harbor freight...worked very slick)

Living in an apartment makes any projects very inconvenient.....
But, at least it's done now.

·
Registered
561 Posts
argghh..this posts justs reminds me what I need to do...

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
congrats!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Here's a little brake fluid replacement method I read about in a motorcycle mag years ago that works pretty well when one doesn't have the equipment or experience in doing it the usual way. Keep in mind the reason brake fluid turns dark and needs to be replaced is because it absorbs moisture and keeps it suspended. First, cover your bike's painted surfaces to protect them from any spills. Brake fluid will severely damage painted surfaces! Then remove the lid off of the master cylinder reservoir and with a syringe or even a turkey baster, draw out most, but not quite all of the dark brake fluid. Now simply replace the fluid with fresh up to the full level. Re-install the master cylinder lid and repeat this procedure in two or three weeks. What happens is the old moisture laden fluid left behind will dilute into the new fluid. After following this procedure a couple times, giving time for the old to mingle with the new, you will eventually end up with new fluid for the most part. Also, be careful not to "apply" the brakes while the fluid level is low and the lid is off. Be very sure that the brakes are working properly prior to riding any time you do brake work.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Did a little myself...

Changed "Ooooooold" fuel filter and some cracking gas lines and put on new Dunlop D404 Front to match the back. Promptly took her out for a 200 mile jaunt @ 57mpg. When I got back, new Slipstream S-02 Tinted windshield was sittin on the porch newly delivered. A good day indeed!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.