Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, after filling up my tank this morning and running late for work, I'm doing almost 20 over the limit, 70-75 in a 55. I come over a hill and their is a motorcyle LEGO with the gun pointed at me, I slowed and tapped the brakes and then I gave him a low side wave and a nod to say "you got me" he nodded and moved his gun to position for the next vehicle. I was late to work, but drove the speed limit "most" of the way to work.

Eric

·
Registered
748 Posts
I've never been pulled over on my bike. I did get my first speeding ticket ever last Friday though; the only day that week I drove my car!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Does radar clock a bike accurately? I ask because one of those trailers they park on the side of the road that displays your speed always says I am going slower than what my speedometer says, but displays accurate when I pass it in my truck.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Does radar clock a bike accurately? I ask because one of those trailers they park on the side of the road that displays your speed always says I am going slower than what my speedometer says, but displays accurate when I pass it in my truck.
its been posted on here a few times,someone said that honda speedos are off by about 5mph,high or low..that could be the reason its showin you slower then what your speedo says.idk...
op..glad ya didnt get a ticket,20mph is considered recklous driving and can be arrested for it..ive gotten 2 like this b4 and the officer told me i was lucky i wasnt goin to jail..them days are over,,i only go about 5-10 over posted limit now..i cant afford to be payin a ticket,even if i were workin i wouldnt be able to..havin cdl's they frown more for havin tickets,whether in a big truck or personal vehicle.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I've been pulled over on the bike once. I was riding along route 70 here in mass, just entering Worcester, ma. Came around a corner (doing the speed limit), Statey pulls out behind me and tails me for about 3 miles... then pops on his lights right before an intersection. I pulled over, got my stuff ready for him after removing my helmet. He comes back to me about 5 mins later, hands me my stuff and says " I'm sorry sir, but your plate came back as a fake (i have veteran plates). I had to run your license to verify. I have never seen Veteran plates on a motorcycle before and did not know how to run them. Sorry for the inconvenience."

I don't speed anymore. I find that if i leave in enough time, i will not be late doing the speed limit. The most i ever do over the limit is 5mph.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Just about all motorcycle speedos are about 3 mph high at 60. Most reviews of bikes list speedo accuracy at 30 and 60 in the spec sheet.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
ABSOLUTELY! The radar gun has no problems being accurate with bikes. Or baseballs or flying model airplanes for that matter.

Just don't blow away the speed limit and you should be fine. I am a fan of leaving 10 minutes early and cruise, rather than leave 1 minute late and have to break the sound barrier.
Dan

·
Registered
274 Posts
I lucked out twice on my ride last night... met two cops, both times doing 20 km/h over. I don't pay much attention to the speedo when I'm driving.

edit - neither cop even flicked the lights at me

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
I have over 26 yrs of experience with this so I will give you a professional opinion.

Three things come to mind:

1. you weren't going fast enough

2. radar is designed to detect the speed of motor vehicles in particular, the steel portion, not plastic or rubber. Bikes are very hard to get a reading unless they are right on top of you. So there is a good chance you were going fast enough, but the officer couldn't get a reading until you were on top of him and by then and by virtue of instinct, you slowed down enough.

3. he likes bikes.

You must always bear in mind that radar is designed to confirm an officer's observations. ie that you are speeding. Radar just tells us how fast you are going. You cannot be convicted in court on just radar alone, there must be visual observations as well.

I'm glad that you were spared some dollars.

Phil.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Fort Atkinson, eh? Maybe it was because your plate said WI not IL :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.