Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a little down right now and not sure what to do, hoping for some good ideas/advice.

My brother and I just got our first bikes on 3/10. He has an '06 Aero 750 and I an '05 Sabre, both bikes are pretty much stock (the Sabre has a windshield). Well, we met up last night and rode each others bikes. The Aero was SOOOO much smoother than my Sabre. It was also more comfortable, better balanced (no/low speed), exhaust sounded much better, and I like the way it was geared better. Now what do I do???

Smoothness - Well my bike shakes and rattles a lot more than the Aero and I thought about trying the following:
---Changing the oil (trying Rotella, bike has 1800 miles 500 from me) (could it smooth out after more miles??)
---removing the windshield (at least to see if the shakes/rattles change)
---Syncing the carbs

Comfort - Mainly the handle bar position , chaning the risers might be all it needs

Balance - Not sure I can do anything, the tank seemed lower on the Aero

Exhaust - I want to add the VH pro pipes, high flow air filter, and rejet

Gearing - not sure here either, the saber doesn't seem to 'feel' like 1st or 2nd gear is natural. Not sure how to explain this, but the Aero was smooth through the gears and seemed fine in what ever gear you were in. The saber acts like it hates 1st and second gear. Does this make sense to you?

I have no real comparison other than the Aero, after riding it I wonder if there is something wrong with my bike. For one it is not smooth and it actually seemed like the Aero had as much torque/power as the sabre if not more.

What do you think I can/should do?

·
Registered
284 Posts
You've managed to pretty much list and understand all of the difference in the models AFTER buying, rather than before buying. :(

·
Banned
4,110 Posts
smertus said:
I am a little down right now and not sure what to do, hoping for some good ideas/advice.

My brother and I just got our first bikes on 3/10. He has an '06 Aero 750 and I an '05 Sabre, both bikes are pretty much stock (the Sabre has a windshield). Well, we met up last night and rode each others bikes. The Aero was SOOOO much smoother than my Sabre. It was also more comfortable, better balanced (no/low speed), exhaust sounded much better, and I like the way it was geared better. Now what do I do???
EH? There's something wrong with your sabre, then.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Putting the Saber up for sale so you can upgrade to an Aero is about the only thing I can think of.

You could spend a lot of money having shops look at the issues but that would cost you the difference in upgrading.

G

·
Synister1 said:
Putting the Saber up for sale so you can upgrade to an Aero is about the only thing I can think of.
Upgrade?
From a 1100 Sabre to a 750 Aero?
Now that's what I call an oxymoron!

·
Registered
191 Posts
I think you should trade me straight accross for my 750 ACE.

Smooth? You bet. I just changed the oil too. Windshield, take it off or leave it.

Comfort? Very :D

Balance? Never fallen over!

Exhaust? Knocked the baffles out.

Gearing? 38T sprocket. Bet ya can't do that with the Sabre.

·
Registered
8 Posts
two cents

Hi,

yes, I had an 98 ACE 1100 tourer, and I think it was based on the
saber frame/body. I did not care for the gearing at all, esp. when
trying to turn, not a comfortable spot between 1st and second.

I switched bikes. Sounds like the Aero is geared really well.
I'd trade it in for an aero, if that's what you you like to ride.
It makes a HUGE difference if your comfortable and able to
manipulate the gears at speed to your liking.

Just my 2 cents/

Alien.

·
Registered
342 Posts
The Sabre is a really nice bike. Don't sell it short. I'd say to ride it for a while and give yourself a chance to get used to riding it and learning its quirks. Just my $.02 cent worth.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Its not unusual to second guess a major purchase. Give the bike some time and see if you come to it. Post back in another 3,000 miles.
Glen

·
Registered
310 Posts
Small vs big

You caught on quickly to the primary difference between these 2 bikes. The 750 runs like a small displacement bike, fast revving, smooth power. The Sabre feels like a big bike with a thumpy engine. I also enjoy riding my wifes smaller bike (800 Kaw) for the same reason. It is very smooth and comfortable. If you aren't enthralled by the "big bike" feel of the Sabre engine, go small. From a performance standpoint there isn't a lot of difference.

·
Registered
8,119 Posts
The AERO must seem to fit you very well. With some people the AERO is a very comfortable bike and for others it fits them like a glove.

When ever I ride my wifes AERO I cannot get over how nimble and well it handles. I think its one of the best bikes Honda ever put out for rider comfort and is very easy to control. It has a very low center of gravity making it stable and fun to ride. Many may have a hard time believing that but until you ride an AERO its really hard to comprehend just how comfy and well handling the AERO is. I admit it is an awesome bike in the 750 range.

Its a great bike, but I still love my ACE. It fits me perfectly and I enjoy sitting upright more.

Chris

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I don't know to tell you other than if the bike is rattling and shaking, somethings not right.

The gearing is what it is as is the balance. The Sabre is a bigger bike and feels bigger. Might try taking the windshield off to see if that is what is rattling. You could also have lost a wheel weight, which is a real simple fix.

I have a Sabre and love it. I've also put about 300 miles on an Aero as well as 200 plus on an ACE and all are good bikes. My best advice is to put some miles on the Sabre before you get all bent out of shape with self doubt. But again if it is shaking, something isn't right because the Sabre is a smooth bike.

·
Registered
23 Posts
There has been alot of discussion on this forum about tires. A shake in the front end of the bike could definitly be tires. Don't sell the sabre short. Its a great bike. However, different style bikes ride differently. I ride my shadow 'cause it's long and low. Feels very stable in the corners, and because the seat is low, at a stop I get a very wide stance, which again is a very "comfortable" feeling. Someone with longer legs than I would probably prefer the Sabre or Magna. Just dependes on you.

But it sounds to me like somethin' is wrong with your sabre. Get it checked then go for a ride.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I like my Spirit o.k. but the distance 1st and 2nd is a pain, particularly when taking a tight corner. Sounds like your Sabre is screwed up, but I haven't ridden an Aero, either.

·
Registered
18 Posts
CrazyDave said:
Synister1 said:
Upgrade?
From a 1100 Sabre to a 750 Aero?
Now that's what I call an oxymoron!
The riders comfort is more important then CC count. If the Aero is more comfortable for him then it's an upgrade.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I bought A honda shield for my Spirit , When I 1st bought it . It is A
small shield . Any time over 50mph , It plain out sucked !
Then I purchased A Memphis shield much better . But I was still
getting wind buffetting ! And had to puchase lowers !
Then all was good !

Not sure which shield you have . But I would try it with out it .
Another thing . I know the Spirit & Sabre are geared different . But on the spirit . 1st gear thru 20 mph. Dosnt like to be lugged down at all !

Jack

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I have ridden the AERO, and it is a good bike, but it is a bit lacking when fully loaded, pulling hills on the freeway. Found that out on a 6 day ride to AZ from WA and back. My Spirit 1100 kept a steady 48-52 MPG, and the AERO 750 varied wildly, and at times just couldn't keep up. If your Sabre vibrates exessively, there is something wrong! The AERO 750 is a great bike, and is easy to ride, for sure, but once you become very familiar with your Sabre, I doubt you would go back! Get the vibration issue checked out. And ride the hell outta it!! -----Metalguy :wink:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.