Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I'd say $2,500 is an okay price for a bike that looks that good with 3300 miles on it. Provided it doesn't have something wrong with it you don't know about, I wouldn't lose sleep over paying $2500 for that.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
he said it needed a battery, I did a quick search on here to find where in heck the battery eve WAS. and then charged it.

it started right up, old gas and all, let off the choke and it idled fine.

wife and I rode it up and down the block.

seems to run great, everything on the bars works well.

It needs an oil change, and chain lube, and a good wash.

It drives strange to me though, seems like it doesnt want to 'lean' like a normal bike.

I havent ridden a street bike in YEARS, and very little back then, mostly dirtbikes, mountain bikes, and stand up jetskis.

I need some time on this before I get it out in traffic.

:shock:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I appreciate all of the input here, but I was thinking it was a pretty good deal.

now I am beginning to think it was an average or 'just OK' deal.

oh well, its fun so far.

·
Registered
8,119 Posts
Congrats on your new bike.

The bike looks spotless and well taken care of. I would pay $ 2,500 for a bike like that with low mileage before paying less for a bike not well taken care of and more mileage.

Just remember that when buying cars, bikes, trucks, whatever, as soon as you lay down the cash you will find another identical vehicle for less. Always seems to happen. Just ignore it and enjoy what you have.

In as far as the bike not wanting to lean, I hate to say this but the bike is fine. It's probably the rider and his sense of balance at the moment. :) Seriously, only seat time will help build your confidence in your riding skills which will in turn help you " lean " the bike more in turns and trust it wont come out from underneath you.

I think its something common among inexperienced riders. They are gun shy on leaning the bike into a turn and you get that feeling your going to fall over if you lean to far. Time will take care of that feeling just like it cured me of my tendency to not want to lean to far.

You have a nice bike, forget about what you paid and just get out there and practice and enjoy yourself.
Ride safe !!!

Chris

·
Registered
39 Posts
OzarkJeep,

You got a really good deal on your VLX. I have the same one but an 04. If you would have went to the dealer and bought it they probably would of had a price of about $3500 on it. At least that is what my dealer told me.

As far as leaning, the bike will lean trust me. You have to use countersteering and it will lean smooth as silk. Basically if I am turning left I lean left and push slightly on my left handlegrip. Just ever so slightly though and it will bring you right around really smooth. This bike does lean though, you can scrape the pegs if you want.

If you have the stock Dunlops I would change them out. This is my opinion because I thought they were to loose handling and followed road imperfections to much.

Other than the tires, I love my VLX and I ride with bikes as big as the VTX1800 no problem. I have Metzeler ME880s that just arrived that will be put on her here next week.

If you need to know anything else about the bike feel free to ask.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey folks, thanks for the input!

I was looking last night, the sticker says build date 6/03 then down below HONDA it says 2004.

so I guess its a 2004?
the seller told me it was, I was just wondering.

it Does have the dunlop tires still, I might look into swapping them.

also, YES, its me and my balance, I havent ridden a street bike sine the late 80s and then it was an old Shadow 750. I was immortal in those early years and likely didnt notice my lack of balance.

I for sure need some seat time.

I also noticed last night, that the handle bars are ever so slightly angled to the right, I cant find a scratch or bend, but they are slightly off center.

My sons dirt bike is like that from a collision, and I found it awkward at first to ride as well.

is there any way to adjust them? Ill post a picture of it.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
OzarkJeep said:
I also noticed last night, that the handle bars are ever so slightly angled to the right, I cant find a scratch or bend, but they are slightly off center.

My sons dirt bike is like that from a collision, and I found it awkward at first to ride as well.

is there any way to adjust them? Ill post a picture of it.
Check the risers they can be loosened (or sometimes loosen on their own) and re-adjusted.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Heavy Steering

Congrads on the new scoot. Love the silver color. The VLX has the largest angle on the front forks of 35 degrees. It will take more muscle to do a curve at speed and watch the front brake at low speed with the front wheel turned. It will give you a lot of enjoyment.
Cheers TRed2

·
Registered
8 Posts
Did I do OK buying this Shadow?

OSARK: I would say you made out like a bandit. In 2003 bought an 01 model with 6,000 miles and put 35,000 on it before selling in 2006. My daily round trip to work of 43 miles at 60 MPG made it a very economical way to travel and there were absolutely no problems with the bike. I used AMSOIL 20W-50 Full Synthetic spring and summer and Shell Rotella Full Synthetic 5W-40 fall and winter. Oil and filter were changed every 5,000 miles.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
The handlebars may be ****ed a little because the rubber inserts in the bar mounts (risers)are out of place. You can loosen them a little and wiggle the bars until they find the right place, but first try putting the front wheel up against a curb and pushing the bars straight.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.