Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
Last week we had a nice couple of days, thought I'd start up the bike and go around the block a few times.

Well, ran down the battery trying to get 'er running, but no go. :(

Anyway, pulled the battery out and put it on my 2A charger, I meant to leave it on overnight.
Of course, this morning I'm driving home from work and remember about the battery.
Oh crud!

So I get home, disconnect the cables and examine the battery.
Hmmm, seems a bit light.
Tipped it back and forth listening for sloshing, nothing.
Peeked in the filler holes, nothing.
Turned the battery completely upside down with the filler plugs removed.
Nothing.

My battery is completely dry! :shock:

So, is this an automatic "go buy a new one" or is there any chance of rescusitation by adding distilled water or more acid?

Once again I'm seeing why a battery-tender is a great little device, wish I had one.

So, what's the verdict?
Thanks, -Kris

·
Registered
135 Posts
Not likely the chemicals remaining behind when the H20 evaporated out of the electrolyte will go back into solution very effectively. I think it is time to go buy a maintenance free replacement. Even if you could get it to recover, sounds like a problem just waiting to stick you out in the boonies.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was just sick about this when I was at work last night.
Was 2 in the morning, I'm 40 miles away, and like I'm really gonna call and wake up my wife just to unplug a battery that probably is already toast.
Just sucks.

Do they make a maintenance-free T-battery for my 84 700?

I'll add some water and see if I can charge it back up, but as was mentioned by wpur, my confidence in the battery is pretty low right now too even if I get it to hold a charge.

I suppose I better shop local, huh?
S&H on a heavy battery can't make it worth it to shop online I suppose.

:(
-K

·
Registered
256 Posts
bikerbats.com or is it bikebats.com has a battery that will fit, is maintainence free, and is only about 57 dollars with shipping. It isn't a T battery, but it fits and I have seen them recommended here. You should be able to look up the battery on the site. Just enter your model and year and it will recommend it.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
You don't need a "T" battery, get a maintance free AGM.

And yes you "fried" the battery, basiclly electroplated the cells with the metal salts in the acid when the water boiled out.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Kframe,
Fill it back up with destilled water, charge it back up and take it to a dealer that can test it (put it on a load-tester)
My bet...it's toast! The cells usually short out when you cook them dry (don't ask me how I know)
On the plus side....you'll have a new battery for this season!!

Oh ya...go spend a couple bucks and get you a float charger. Kmart sells the Black & Decker float type charger for $17.(Same as a Battery Tender) It will keep it fully charged without over charging it and you can forget about it and not worry anymore.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies, I'll have to go check out that B&D charger, thanks Dave.

I feel dumb that I fried my battery, but on the plus side, maybe that means it isn't the starter that is the problem with my non-running bike.

(Although, I have a spare starter, so if that's it, it'll only take time, not $ to fix.)

-K

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
I would pull the starter and check out the brushes as long as you can't ride it right now anyway (and we have another wave of that fun white stuff coming in today!!!)
With the age of that bike, they will probably need replacing (or atleast cleaned up good) I just got done replacing the brushes on starter (my Yamaha) Now I just breath on the botton and it's running, so I guess that was a good move.
Another thing I learned over the years, is to check and clean all those electrical connectors (the little plastic ones all over your bike) and put a little die-electric grease on all of them - they cause problems with your charging system when they get dirty.
You may want to take the starter-switch and kill-switch apart and clean the contacts. That's one of the typical problems with your starting system also.
Good luck and let us know if you run into any problems. >PD<

·
Registered
72 Posts
Kframe said:
Do they make a maintenance-free T-battery for my 84 700?

I suppose I better shop local, huh?
S&H on a heavy battery can't make it worth it to shop online I suppose.
Yuasa has no plans for making a T shaped AGM battery for the Shadows.

The Yuasa YTZ14S will fit in the 84 VT700 with at least ½ inch to spare on the height. The 84 700 battery compartment is made a little different than my 1985 VT1100 and has more room at the top, so I plan to cut a piece of ½ inch exterior plywood to put under the battery.

Another AGM battery that looks like it will work is the WestCo 12V12A-BS. Cost less, but has less CCA. Free shipping.
http://www.westcobattery.com/battery_page.php?bid=56&vid=-1

I ordered another YTZ14-S this evening from MCBatteries USA. More money, but a stronger battery.
http://www.motorcyclebatteriesusa.com/battery-details.asp?battery=724
Cost me 97.75 with free shipping after using the two percent discount coupon on the order form. Then the conformation message said to use a different coupon code next time for a five percent discount. So you should be able to get the battery for about 95 dollars.

Conformation e-mail message…
Thank you for shopping with Motorcycle Batteries USA, we appreciate and value your patronage. Remember, next time you shop with us, please use coupon code MBUSA007 to receive a 5% discount on your order. Tell a friend!

For me, shopping locally at a Honda dealer that I care to do business with means driving 160 miles.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
PainterD said:
I would pull the starter and check out the brushes as long as you can't ride it right now anyway (and we have another wave of that fun white stuff coming in today!!!)
With the age of that bike, they will probably need replacing (or atleast cleaned up good) I just got done replacing the brushes on starter (my Yamaha) Now I just breath on the botton and it's running, so I guess that was a good move.
Another thing I learned over the years, is to check and clean all those electrical connectors (the little plastic ones all over your bike) and put a little die-electric grease on all of them - they cause problems with your charging system when they get dirty.
You may want to take the starter-switch and kill-switch apart and clean the contacts. That's one of the typical problems with your starting system also.
Good luck and let us know if you run into any problems. >PD<
Sounds like a good idea, thanks Dave.
I wonder how involved it is to remove the starter?
I've got the factory service manual, just haven't studied that section yet.
I've heard on some bikes you have to remove one of the engine side covers on some models, but on some bikes you can just pull the starter out pretty easily.
I have a replacement starter that I found off ebay, but you mention that sometimes you can just replace the brushes.
Where do you buy brushes?

Thanks, -Kris
(Might as well make good use of this non-riding weather, like you said.)

·
Registered
8 Posts
smart charger

my step dad has a intelligent charger made by husky that will charge at 2 amps until it detects 13.8 v and shuts itself off. pretty cool. i've tried many times to recharge a dried then refilled battery to no avail tho.. so if thats the case just do yourself a favor and buy a new one

1 - 12 of 12 Posts