Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11,212 Posts
Nice indeed. But a bit disturbing at how everyone scooted away from the victim once the guy that pulled him out let go of his leg.....like he had a force field around him....

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
This is EXACTLY why I have a fire extinguisher in my car, and a small one in the saddle bags. Got them at WallyWorld pretty cheap.

About 6 years ago, I was driving to work (pre-bike) and a lady ran the light exiting from the highway.
3 car crash leave woman dead

I was 30 yards behind the car that was hit, and the first one to get to the car right after the accident. I was a Corpsman in the navy so the blood and guts don't scare me, but fire is a whole other story. There was thick smoke coming from under the hood, and I could see flames under there too. I grabbed my extinguisher from the trunk and emptied it under the hood, then went around to the passenger window render aid (she was slumped all the way over in the passenger seat - alive, just barely).

The fire trucks arrived about 8 or 9 minutes later, and they told me that if I had not had the extinguisher, the car would likely have burned all the way through. I remember rolling up to a crash scene in Okinawa and seeing a car completely engulfed in flames, with the driver still belted in. Absolutely horrific.

A $15 fire extinguisher can give you a few minutes to get people out. Go get one - soon.

Doc

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I saw it on MSN.com yesterday. Amazing what people can do. That beemer weighs close to 4000 lbs. The rider survived but is in critical condition. I wonder what happened to the driver of the car. Was he/she even around when all of this happened? The rider is lucky to be alive.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
But a bit disturbing at how everyone scooted away from the victim once the guy that pulled him out let go of his leg
They were probably worried about a lawsuit. If you move an injured person they wrong way causing more damage or death the ambulance chasers will eat you alive.

·
Registered
94 Posts
yup saw it all over the place. that was impressive.
i was also surprised he got away with just some minor fractures and burns

·
Registered
23,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They were probably worried about a lawsuit. If you move an injured person they wrong way causing more damage or death the ambulance chasers will eat you alive.

The ambulance chasers can't do a thing if the victim takes no action, and I would hope that after having his ass saved from becoming the local road kill bbq special he would not.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
The ambulance chasers can't do a thing if the victim takes no action, and I would hope that after having his ass saved from becoming the local road kill bbq special he would not.

I’m hearing ya, but the report I heard stated it was the drivers fault. So naturally there will be a pursuit of the driver in a court of law I’m sure. The lawyers may figure well since we’re here already, let’s go after the citizens that pulled you out from under the burning car saving you from further injury and or death.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
The ambulance chasers can't do a thing if the victim takes no action
If the victim becomes paralyzed or dies they determine it “might” be due to something you did the family can open a law suit. No good deed goes unpunished.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I think Good Samaritan Law will apply in this case with implied consent that a reasonable person when asked "Are you injured can I help you get out under the car?" will respond "Get me the f$(*& out of here!"

"Under the good samaritan laws which grant immunity, if the good samaritan makes an error while rendering emergency medical care, he or she cannot be held legally liable for damages in court. However, two conditions usually must be met; 1) the aid must be given at the scene of the emergency, and. 2) if the "volunteer" has other motives, such as the hope of being paid a fee or reward, then the law will not apply." --uslegal.com

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.