Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this forum is about Honda's and I've owned mostly Honda's in my life and I'm sure there has been a thread like this in the past. One of my favorite Honda's was a 198? Goldwing GL1100 dresser that I made into a naked wing, loved that bike but I can't find a pic though I did find a pic of my 198?(sorry I am bad about remembering years) Suzuki GS1000 that someone converted into a café racer style bike. It's the only pic I have and it's not a great pic but you get the idea, It was the most uncomfortable bike I have ever owned but it turned a lot of heads, sounded great(loud) and was very fast! It wasn't unusual to look down and see that I was cruising at 130mph, the seat had custom stitched flames with a bobbed rear fender and a kind of old school taxi paint job. Fun bike but wasn't very practical , Y'all have any interesting bikes?

·
Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
1,500 Posts
My first bike, 1993 Yamaha TW200. Bought with 200 miles on it. I still have it with 47,000 miles on it last week. This bike is light and nimble and I love it for around town. Next is the 1986 Yamaha Radian (YX600). This bike is pretty much a sports bike with normal handlebars and riding position. I got it used missing half of the covers and pretty stuff. I am used to the roughed up look and like it better than the stock look. I had to put my 2002 Shadow Spirit 1100 in there. I have only had it for about 3 years. It took a while to get used to that high gearing and longer turning radius. It is smooth and comfortable and is great on the highway.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I don't have photos of my first and second bikes
They were An Africa Twin and after it a black VFR800.

After a period with no bikes I got another VFR800

then changed to a Pan European ST1300 which I still have
and in Aug got a 86 VT700c

·
Registered
642 Posts
When I first moved to the USA from Canada., I bought a mint 1986 Yamaha Radian....it was in new conditoion...beautiful bike!! We then moved to a condo with no inside parking.....so felt guilty keeping it under cover and sold it. fun bike to ride

Reactions: kesanders

·
Registered
22 Posts
1st bike was a '71 CB350, nothing odd there, but after a VW bug ended its life I got a Harley Davidson Sprint 350. It was a 350 thumper that simply vibrated itself to death. Dropped a muffler off on the freeway, and when I took it to the shop to fix it they pointed out a couple of cracks in the frame. Bye Felicia! When I came back to bikes at the beginning of this year I bought a Hyosung GV250. A Korean bike that is not given the credit it deserves. Would do 85mph (GPS verified) and got 70mpg. Hated to say goodbye to that bike, but it made way for the Shadow.

·
Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
1,500 Posts
1st bike was a '71 CB350, nothing odd there, but after a VW bug ended its life I got a Harley Davidson Sprint 350. It was a 350 thumper that simply vibrated itself to death. Dropped a muffler off on the freeway, and when I took it to the shop to fix it they pointed out a couple of cracks in the frame. Bye Felicia! When I came back to bikes at the beginning of this year I bought a Hyosung GV250. A Korean bike that is not given the credit it deserves. Would do 85mph (GPS verified) and got 70mpg. Hated to say goodbye to that bike, but it made way for the Shadow.
I have a friend who had a Sprint. He really loved it. He said when you gave it gas the bike squatted down and took off. I have a neighbor that buys the Hyosung wrecks and he refurbishes them. He does this as a job and is always flipping the bikes. He converts some to straight ethanol to make them quicker.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yup, those Sprints had torque for sure. Hyosungs are starting to increase in value due to rarity. Sold mine for what I paid 9 months prior.

·
Registered
'07 Shadow Aero 750
3,125 Posts
I looked all over the place, and can't find a photo of my old Honda Silverwing GL500. Gotta be in an old photo album somewhere... The internet didn't exist back in 1982 and neither did digital cameras. :(

This is what mine looked like (90% similar). Great running bike, but was just a little odd to most Honda fans, as it almost resembled a Moto Guzzi with the sideways V-twin. But to be honest, with the small 500cc engine and all the massive accessories, it was a pig, and would almost wind out at the top end, rev limiter.

·
Registered
710 Posts
My high schools days were filled with cheap used bikes from the 70's and a couple from the 60's.
Had various trail bikes, got a street legal bike at 16 years old. First street legal bike was I think 74 maybe 76 Honda 250XL endro, loved that bike at the time, a couple of other bigger bikes for sub $100 along with a Combat Wombat for those who remember them.

Then I headed up the street bikes because I lost interest in dirt bikes for a while. Next up was a XS400D Yamaha. D was for dual carbs and dual exhaust. Pipes were rusted out so it sounded like a Harley at the time. Next up was a 650 nighthawk. Only a couple of years old so at that point it was the nicest, fastest bike I had ever owned.

Then I headed sport bikes for a while, probably no one here is interested in that.

Got married, had a few babies, sports bikes were done, my lifestyle just was not in line with sport bikes and I was going broke so back to endro/ dual sport bikes for some F' around street and off road fun. Didn't really have much time in those days.

I'm back a few years ago and went cruiser. First up was an 99 1100 Shadow then came a 2001 Valkyrie. Shadow got sold, Valkyrie I'll probably die with but I needed a smaller lighter bike for one up riding. I bought a Bolt but I'm out looking for a used Thruxton or a speed triple used. Or whatever catches my eye in a lighter single seat bike. I like the Cafe racer stuff because I remember the originals but those bikes had no where near the HP and weight the new ones have, not sure if that is a good thing? I enjoy my Valkyrie but it is what it is, a big long haul two up bike. Works well for that but I don't like that all the time. I liked my 1100 Shadow but at times I want my feet under me and I want to ride hard. The Shadow did well but it could only be ridden so hard.

·
Registered
06' VT1100C/99' GL1500C Valkyrie
8,855 Posts
And here we go:
64' Allstate 50cc scooter, jury still out on the cc's as they only made 125cc with a 3spd. manual floor shift.
150cc Suzuki S32 twin smoker POS.

CL175 Honda and a new XL100 Honda.

73' XL250 new off the showroom with trade in of the XL100. Had it until 1984 as my primary ride/off roader.

1974 thru 1975

Kinda went bike crazy. 69' CL450, 70' CB450, and 100cc Hodaka. The Hodaka was lighter than the XL100 but weaker at the low end grunt. Still learning the engineering of motorcycles.

1986 thru 1989
Bought a 69' CL350 off a co worker and road it a year and sold it to my now step son as his 1st. ride. 87' I purchased a 82' 850 Suzuki LTD. for myself, 88' 78' Yamaha XS400 for my son for his 1st. bike and a XL80 for the 3 other boy's that we threw in the old 64' Chevy PU and took to various friends in the country to ride. Sold the 850 to my BF in 89' and the step son decided he wanted a 77' CB400F. We moved to the country in 89' dragging the XL80 with us so riding as the other 3 boys were active in school sports thus not leaving much time for anything but family and work.

2nd. stepson decided to ride as he had a bit of bad luck driving a 4 wheeler thus he purchased a 80' CB125 as his primary vehicle 1 1/2 yrs.

2007-2008
Re entered into the scene as my previous employer had a "no MC coverage claus" in their very generous 90/10 policy for 10 1/2 yrs. Got the bug and found a very nice 00' ZR7 Kawasaki. Rode it till 8/08 and purchased the VT1100C Spirit.

Purchased the 71' CL100 for the wife to learn on and that lasted 5 mins. to end of the driveway. Still in the garage in pristine condition.

Bought the Valk as we outgrew the Spirit.

Bought the 06' 1600 Vulcan Nomad for a alternative cruiser. Nice ride but still felt/rode like the Spirit with a wee bit more power. Sold it to my son this spring. The Valk is probably going to be it until I can't ride it anymore.

Reactions: squidchief

·
Registered
9 Posts
My first bike was an 83 Shadow 550. Loved the 6 speed but outgrew it quick. Followed by a 94 Magna I jetted, punched baffles swapped sprocket and it flew. Changed duty station to Monterey and had a neighbor with a 96 Magna under a cover that he never rode. He would keep it on a tender, but wife said no after he laid it down in the garage moving it. Picked that up for 400 and road it til I pcs'ed out. Came to Hawaii had an intruder for a bit and a failed nighthawk project. I just acquired a 92 1100, and it is definitely a work in progress. Rusted exhaust which I replaced with a cbora exhaust that has a dent ed tip from the junkyard for a cool 40 bucks, but she still needs a lot of love. I keep coming back to Hondas though.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I keep coming back to Hondas though.
Have to say I do too and really have never had a major problem with a Honda. That XL 250 I had got passed along through friends and was up to 100,000 miles in the late 90's. Still just motoring away until the last guy who bought it decided he was going to rebuild it. Everyone said don't do that, there's nothing wrong with it. That bike was last seen in parts on his garage floor. Don't know what ever happened to it from there?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just got my vt1100 running today, after sitting for I don't know how long under a tarp. I did a toggle for the ignition since the key is missing and tomorrow I will change the old solenoid to the newer solenoid relay from a newer shadow. Than begin relocating as much of the controls from the handlebars to clean it up and put new lights. Wash degrease and black the engine. I love the Cobra pipes I paid a whopping 40 bucks for at the junkyard though. Thats whats great on these shadows not much has changed and it doesn't take much to revive them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts