Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member here. I have a 2003 ACE 750CD. 1100 miles,. New battery, plugs and fuel filter. Air filter is clean. Used carb cleaner in fuel. Sprayed inside carb as well. The bike starts after many attempts, but will not stay on at low rpm. If I keep it at full throttle, it will run. Pops a few times as well. Need inputs on next steps, what else can I try? The bike was used every year. Oil is 2 yrs old . Thank you all.

Attachments

·
Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
7,018 Posts
Will it run with the choke on? It sounds like your pilot jet is plugged.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Can't really clean the carbs without removing them 1st. Take pics before removal (took me 3 tries to get the choke cables routed properly the 1st time) Pull the bowls and clean out the passages. Might even take the carbs to a shop and pay the shop to clean them in their sonic cleaner. Less expensive that way if they'll do it. And all you have to do is remove/install them.

btw,, 1100 miles? that's like 55 miles a year average, I wouldn't consider that being used. even if it's 11000, thats less than 600 miles a year, still not enough use.

And Welcome to the forum. I also have a 2003 750 Ace.

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
4,630 Posts
I agree with Ramie: sounds like the pilot jet is plugged. Has the bike been stored for a while and fuel gummed? Try choke on at idle and see if the carb cleaner (Seafoam?) helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stored for about a year, I did ride few miles last year. I agree it's not enough use. I was not brave enough to remove the carbs, will try seafoam this weekend and see how that goes. Thank you all.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
At a minimum, I'd remove the caps if they are still there and pull the pilot screws, then blow some carb cleaner through the passages. Maybe pull the fuel inlet hose, drain the bowls and spray carb cleaner in the fuel inlet until it backs up. let it soak overnight and hope it helps. that could be done by just pulling the tank. Just two bolts and a connector on the instrument panel, fuel and vent hose and two bolts on the tank.

Though I'm pretty sure the carbs need to come out. Pay a shop and have it done right is probably the long term least expensive way to go. probably around $300.00

Reactions: CSRoad

·
Registered
2003 VT1100C Spirit
1,183 Posts
Howdy Bijithomas!

Sounds like your carbs need a good cleaning. It's easier than you think if you have a Honda Shop Manual. If you don't, I think you can download one from this site.

From what you describe, it is unlikely that Seafood or any other fuel additive will do much good for ya. Also, you aught to probably go ahead and change out that two year old engine oil.

Other things to do:
Brake fluid: Brake fluid attracts moister on its own and will go bad. A good brake bleeding would be in order just due to time.
Fuel: If the fuel has been in your tank more than a few months (or even less), you should drain the tank and put fresh fuel in.
Tires: If your tires are over 4 years old, you should consider replacing them.
Coolant: Coolant will go bad over time. You should replace the radiator fluid if you have not done so already.

·
Registered
'83 VT750C; ‘21 SV650A
3,189 Posts
Sometimes miracles happen, but fuel cleaners usually won’t work unless there is already some flow going through the passages. If not, the cleaner never makes it to the areas that need cleaning. With the resources and videos available these days, I find the hard part of removing the carburetors is taking off the tank!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts