Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so one of the things I'm thinking about doing is re-vamping the paint job. I love the two-tone look that Honda did for the Aero's (and I'm a fan of retro-styled bikes anyways) so I've been wanting to do the same on mine.

People with experience in doing their own paint jobs, any tips? I'm thinking a cream primary with british racing green secondary and black pinstriping for accent/definition. I'm also considering pulling off the plastichrome covers the last owner strapped on, but that will be dependent on how I like the effect after I've done all the painting.

·
Banned
3,795 Posts
Alright, so one of the things I'm thinking about doing is re-vamping the paint job. I love the two-tone look that Honda did for the Aero's (and I'm a fan of retro-styled bikes anyways) so I've been wanting to do the same on mine.

People with experience in doing their own paint jobs, any tips? I'm thinking a cream primary with british racing green secondary and black pinstriping for accent/definition. I'm also considering pulling off the plastichrome covers the last owner strapped on, but that will be dependent on how I like the effect after I've done all the painting.
The color scheme sounds great, but which areas would be the primary and which secondary? Is this something like what you have in mind?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very much like that actually, I was using the RE C5 Classic as my base idea, modifying it to fit the Shadow frame and adding some pin-striping for accent. But I like the way that Indian looks even better.

'Cept I was thinking of going brown leather seats and possibly whitewall tires as well.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Be sure to get lots plastic primer, LoL.I had to say it.:mrgreen: Seriously, I'd like to have it sprayed clear after all the paint and striping is done, that looks so good.

·
Banned
3,795 Posts
Very much like that actually, I was using the RE C5 Classic as my base idea, modifying it to fit the Shadow frame and adding some pin-striping for accent. But I like the way that Indian looks even better.

'Cept I was thinking of going brown leather seats and possibly whitewall tires as well.
I tried to post a pic of one with a natural leather seat but it wouldn't populate for some reason, I think it looks great with green.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm gonna have to toy with Indian's Sky Blue / Cream color combo

But seriously...all talk about color schemes aside. Any tips on the actual painting?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yeah it is really hard to get a decent looking paint job unless A. you have the right equipment (and decent paint) and B. you know what you are doing. I found a guy on craigslist that did my Sabre tins for $400 and they came out great.

Most other shops were quoting me over a grand to do a flat black paint job which I thought was crazy, but these were bigger shops with overhead. I saw a bunch of other tins the guy had done in his garage and they were like glass so I took the chance and the outcome was great.

Worst case, you can always give it a shot and if it comes out less than stellar, just sand it all back down and bring it to a shop.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmm, time to go see what craiglist has to offer then. I don't want to do a crap job and have it mess up my plastic :mad: fenders. Maybe I'll go buy that metal set I found on ebay.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts