Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed a ding on the right side of my frame today and saw that it was caused by the front brake line grommet. When the handlebars are turned far-right, the grommet/bushing makes contact and has left a good impression. Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

I am wondering if it was assembled incorrectly, that maybe the line should be relocated a little to the side. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
This is very common.
It isn't actually the frame that the marks are in, it's the neck cover that they're in.
I noticed this when my Spirit was very new.

I cut and bent the brake line keeper until I was happy with it not riding on the neck cover.

edit; I just took a couple of pics of mine.
If you look real close you can see where the wire that wraps around the grommet on the top is missing. I cut that part of the bracket (we'll call it a bracket) off where it mounts onto the lower triple tree and bent the lower part down and away from the neck.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I just noticed a ding on the right side of my frame today and saw that it was caused by the front brake line grommet. When the handlebars are turned far-right, the grommet/bushing makes contact and has left a good impression. Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

I am wondering if it was assembled incorrectly, that maybe the line should be relocated a little to the side. Thanks.
My bike had this same problem when I bought it used a year ago, and in fact, at one local dealer I see a 2006 1100 Spirit on the show room floor with the same problem. I seem to remember that on mine, I believe taking it off and mounting the wire bracket upside down fixed the problem by giving me more clearance.

I used a little touch up paint, 600 grit sandpaper, 1000 grit sandpaper and finally polishing compound to clean up the scratches on the neck plate.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I've got that same ding, too. I bought my spirit "used" with only 500 miles on it. Mine has a ding + a small scratch right in the middle of the ding. I bent the clips to try to give it a little bit of clearence. The clip that "holds" the speedometer cable on the other side doesn't really hold either. Ah, well....I guess nothing's perfect. :cry:

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
I have that same mark on my cover. One sides from the brake line guide and the other side was from a wire or something else. I have since made a slight bend in the guide and just hit the spot with a little touch-up paint.

·
Registered
1994 Honda Shadow VT1100C. 1993 Honda VF750C Magna.
1,379 Posts
Fit a chopper kit - see below - it does away with all those stupid grommets and stuff so no more 'dings'. :lol:

Collector

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I think you are too anal about little dings and scratches. It is marks of a well ridden machine. Don't let the little things in life bother you...there are enough big things to do that.

I have never noticed it on my Spirit. But THANKS!!! Now I am going to have to look at it to see...and look at the Valk too...

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all for the input, expecially the photos, they are appreciated.

From the responses received, it seems that the bikes were designed with this problem, which seems strange because of the high quality elsewhere on the machine.

I don't mind my bike having a few scratches and scars if I know how I got them, but this bike only has 5 miles on it. I plan to incorporate some of the above ideas to alleviate the problem.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Maybe they fixed it on the 2007 Spirits? Mine doesn't come within a half an inch of hitting the neck cover.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts