Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always wanted to make a trip to Canada as it sounds like it has some beautiful country. But I wouldn't no where to go in Canada especially riding a bike. I live in Newark, Ohio (ZIP 43055). which is in central Ohio. Do you have any suggestions on what roads to take to get there or how long it might take? Maybe some routes. I don't have a GPS. I would be riding 2up on a 750 ACE with the wife on back. I have heard but don't no how true it is but do we need passports?

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Starting January 23, citizens of the U.S., Canada, Mexico, and Bermuda are required to present a valid passport to enter (or re-enter) the U.S. by air. Starting as early as January 1, 2008, travelers by land and sea will also be required to present a valid passport to enter (or re-enter) the U.S.
A new passport currently costs $97, while a passport renewal costs $67. Passports take about 6-8 weeks to process, though applications can be expedited for an additional fee.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
From central Ohio, the two closest entry points to Canada are:

o Detroit (the Ambassador Bridge or the Tunnel)
o Buffalo (three bridges: Peace Bridge, Niagara Falls and Queenston-Lewiston)

If you want to drive a bit further in Michigan, you can go up to Port Huron and cross the Blue Water bridge.

Detroit is closer to you, but I'd go to Buffalo and across. You have some beautiful country between you and Buffalo -- through the corner of Pennsylvania and through New York. You can use one of the online mapping sites (Google Maps or local.live.com) to map a nice back roads route there. Or you can pick up 90 and superslab it up to Buffalo. You can stop by Niagara Falls on your way.

It should take a half day -- 6 or 7 hours -- to get there, depending on your pace.

·
Super Moderator
6,504 Posts
red_haint said:
go to I-75, hang a right, go north, ya can't miss it!
Actually it depends where you're coming from......Where I live, (in Sterling Heights Michigan) it's closer to hop on I-75 and go south (to Detroit) and go into Windsor by crossing the border at the Detroit River. Yes, Windsor is south of Detroit!

I could also go east on I-94 and cross the border at the Blue Water Bridge in Port Huron Michigan......that takes me into Sarnia.

Another option for me would be to travel north on I-75 all the way up into the upper peninsula and cross into Sault St Marie Canada over the International bridge.

BTW, Rumor has it that back in the 70's when the Canadian band Journey sang about the small town girl born and raised in south Detroit in their song titled "Don't Stop Believing".......they were actually talking about Windsor, Ontario.....Not southern Detroit!
Phil

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
I suggest taking a route that will have you arrive in Niagara Falls Ontario the weekend of August 17-19th for the Canadian Rally :D

Then the Crazy Canucks can give you a little tour.

No passports needed by land until Jan 2008

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Follow the mossy side of trees, put the sun at your back at noon, don't stop untill the people start talking funny, eh!

8)

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,223 Posts
Depends on where you want to go in Canada and how long you want to spend getting there. There's an abundance of choices; check this out for some: http://www.ontariotravel.net/TcisCtrl?site=consumers&key1=home&language=EN

I could also go east on I-94 and cross the border at the Blue Water Bridge in Port Huron Michigan......that takes me into Sarnia.
Is there still a ferry running in that neck of the woods? I took it once back in the early-mid 1970s but don't remember much as I wasn't doing the driving on that trip. (Hitchhiking.)

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
However you get into Canada, if you have the time, take Hwy 17 around the northern end of the Great Lakes. You definately won't regret it.

Happy Trails!

sanoke

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
sanoke said:
However you get into Canada, if you have the time, take Hwy 17 around the northern end of the Great Lakes. You definately won't regret it.

Happy Trails!

sanoke
My home turf. Hwy 17 is a great ride/drive. Beautiful country up that way, but I'm a bit biased. :wink:

·
Registered
365 Posts
I live in the Niagara region of Ontario. I would start by entering through Buffalo to Niagara, Ontario (one of 3 bridges as listed above). There are some great wine routes around here, bed and breakfasts and I would probably take a scoot to Toronto and then over to Old Quebec City - I loved it there. It is like being in another country - very European and full of culture. The wine route through the Jordon and particularly the Pelham region is very nice - rolling hills, open space, a lot of nature. July, Friday the 13th would be great for you as you can swing by Port Dover, in Ontario (http://www.pd13.com/). There have been reportedly up to 50,000 bikes and 200,000 people attend this event. I went in October - it was rotten weather, but I still enjoyed it. Also, Algonquin Park is really beautiful as well if you are into the wilderness, camping/cottage/resort scene. I know there are other great places in Canada, BC and out East, but I cannot speak from experience, because I have never been there.

I hope you enjoy your stay here in Canada. Take Care, bikervas

·
Registered
201 Posts
williewonka said:
sanoke said:

Happy Trails!

sanoke
My home turf. Hwy 17 is a great ride/drive. Beautiful country up that way, but I'm a bit biased. :wink:
Your right not biased it is the most beautiful trip. So much so we
are doing it again this summer. We will go as far as Kakabeka Falls or maybe Quetico Park.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I live in OH and do a good bit of traveling in WNY. I would HIGHLY recommend doing at least one way through NW PA and WNY to get to Buffalo/Niagara Falls. Western Ohio is positively bland in landscape compared to NW PA and WNY. Take route 5 if you want a lake view, or US 20 will take you through all the little vineyard towns that dot WNY. From any/all of Routes 5/20/I-90, you'll have a lakeview to one side and a view of the rolling hills that comprise the foothills of the Alleghany mountain region to the other. Also - Rt 5 through Buffalo takes you along Lake Erie and then picking up I-190 downtown takes you along the Niagara River. In the summertime, you can see kayaks, and rowing teams out on the river practicing!

I'd recommend staying AWAY from the Peace Bridge - truck traffic there is enourmous. The Rainbow Bridge (Niagara Falls) or the Lewiston-Queenston Bridge (North of Niagara) are more scenic and will have less truck traffic.

Whether you go through this area on your way up or back - just make sure to do it. It's much more interesting on the state's side than going up through NW OH and SE MI - mostly flat (and I mean FLAT) farmland.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I don't know your riding style, but if you are interested in beautiful landsacape, try to stay off the slab. Up here in Southern Ontario the main slabs are highways 401, 427 and 400.

Bikervas and Phil have some great advice. Wine country is indeed very pretty and the trip up the east coast of Georgian Bay to Tobermory is great too. The trip across the north of Lake Superior too. A lot of people do a circle route.

You could travel up to the east coast of Georgian Bay (Lake Huron), then take a ferry north across to Manitoulin Island (summer only) and from there connect with highway 17 at Espanola. Proceed north west to Sault Ste Marie and then along highway 17 across the top of Lake Superior and then come back down into the US via Duluth.

If you are into camping, there are some really nice provincial campgrounds along the way - but reserve early beause they fill up pretty fast during the summer. Here's a link

·
Registered
50 Posts
Canada

I live in Michigan and like to go into Canada off of I 94 into Sarnia then go up 21 along Lake Huron to The Bruce Peninsula. It's only about 150 miles from Detroit up 94 to Grand Bend. The Pinery is a great camp ground to check out
I also think you could find some info on motorcycle trips in the Bruce Peninsula
they have some nice places to see. And yes if camping, the Ontario parks fill up fast you need to plan way ahead. Also need birth certificate and drivers license to get IN and OUT of Canada...soon a pass port will be needed.Have Fun!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Re: Canada

Inspector said:
I live in Michigan and like to go into Canada off of I 94 into Sarnia then go up 21 along Lake Huron to The Bruce Peninsula. It's only about 150 miles from Detroit up 94 to Grand Bend. The Pinery is a great camp ground to check out
I also think you could find some info on motorcycle trips in the Bruce Peninsula
they have some nice places to see. And yes if camping, the Ontario parks fill up fast you need to plan way ahead. Also need birth certificate and drivers license to get IN and OUT of Canada...soon a pass port will be needed.Have Fun!
Your right the parks do fill up fast. But if you stop early all parks
have first come first serve,they can't be booked. I only use Ontario Parks and the only time I booked is when I wanted a spot that I like.
If you like the Pinery you would love our northern parks.
I think the Pinery has too many young people/kids but the beach is nice.
As I said the only time I book is when I plan to stay a few days but if I am on the move I pull in about Four pm.
Have a great trip
ps someone said that the main Highways are 401 427 400
Ok the 427 and 400 will get out of Toronto North Thats it. The 401 will take you from Windsor to Montreal with lot's between,this is just a nut shell.

·
Registered
202 Posts
From your area I would definitely go through Western Pa and Western Ny. That area is spectacular. I would cross over the Rainbow Bridge(No Trucks) and a great view of Niagara Falls. Then do the Niagara Parkway. If you post when you are going I am sure others will join for a day ride or portions of it as time allows.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK. If I go to Niagra Falls from Buffalo,NY, on I believe its route 90 in August 17-19th where is a good place to stay without breaking the bank? From what I mapped out it will be about a 6 hour ride from central Ohio. Also whats the scoop on this Canandian Rally and how far is it from Niagra falls?

·
Registered
21 Posts
You could try for a bed and breakfast Here's a link to a web site with info on just about every B&B in the province (and others as well).

Don't expect to find too many bargains right near the Falls themselves at that time of year, but otherwise, B&Bs can be a great deal.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts