Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me why sometimes I can see the pictures in postings and at other times I can't? This applies to both the pictures in some of your signatures and the pictures some of you include in your postings. Often the first time in the post I can see the pictures, but when I leave the post and return the pictures are gone, or after posting a reply the pictures no longer appear.

I'd like to think I'm technically competent, :oops: but haven't figured this one yet :( and don't know if it's just me or if others experience this.

G

·
0 Posts
I don't know why, but I do know of a solution.

Just hit the 'refresh' button on your toolbar, and you'll be able to see all the pics. :D

·
Super Moderator
6,504 Posts
ShadowDave said:
Can someone tell me why sometimes I can see the pictures in postings and at other times I can't? This applies to both the pictures in some of your signatures and the pictures some of you include in your postings. Often the first time in the post I can see the pictures, but when I leave the post and return the pictures are gone, or after posting a reply the pictures no longer appear.

I'd like to think I'm technically competent, :oops: but haven't figured this one yet :( and don't know if it's just me or if others experience this.
ShadowDave,
Sometimes if the picture is too large (larger than about 300 x 400 pixels) a moderator will remove the tags so that only the link is left.

We want our site to be easy to navigate for all of our members as well as those who have slower ISP's.
Phil

·
Administrator
1997 Valkyrie Standard
10,879 Posts
Another possible explanation could be if your are using IE for a browser. I'm using IE 6 and experience the same thing on occassion, pictures not displaying or only intermittantly. I've found that at times hitting the refresh button repeatedly can work at times. I'm not interesting in changing browsers so it's something I put up with.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey all thanks for your replies. I am using IE 6 and your advice to use the refresh button did the trick for me.

Thanks again! :D

·
Registered
128 Posts
I use IE6. I also visit a number of forums. This is the only forum I have any problem viewing the pictures.

Refresh will occasionally solve the problem, but what it does mostly is hide the pictures I've already seen.

So while some say its an IE6 problem, I say its a HSN problem. Though it not enough of a problem for me to stop visiting. And if it turns out there is a picture I want to see, but refresh isn't doing it for me, I know how to use 'View Source' and 'Copy' and 'Paste'.

Its a problem I'd like to see the admins fix. That and the 'hidden' "you have no new messages" text.

Sparc

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
It is probably more of a server issue than HSN (BBS software) or specifically a browser issue. The way way web pages are transmitted, there are time limits, the server sends all the information it can but there is a pause being generated on the larger image file that makes the servers on both sides think the transmission is complete. When you hit refresh, the software does a quick check of the cache, see's the missing image and then sends it.

Since the problem is common among users, the issue is apparently in the server being used by HSN. This is just a SWAG, but I've run into this before and that was the issue when I did.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I have the same problem, several times I just get the box and no pic.
I'll start using the refresh, thanks.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Spiritman said:
Another possible explanation could be if your are using IE for a browser.
I had the same problem. Switched to Firefox and that solved it.
I have upgraded to IE7, but don't know if it has the same issue or not.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Since everybody is putting in their "I think"s, I will too :)

I think it has to do with the fix that was implemented awhile back that automatically resizes large images down to 400 pixels wide, or whatever it is. I never noticed the problem before this was done. Also, the fix really doesn't really "fix" the image problem anyway. The resized image is still the same size, bandwidth-wise, and still takes just as long to download. It just looks smaller.

Every attached image, including sig pics, has this bit of code attached to it:

onLoad="SMR_resize(this);

What this does is that *after* the image has already been downloaded to your computer, this bit of javascript resizes the pic to a maximum width of 500 pixels (I just checked..). While this does make the page more pleasing to look at by limiting left to right scrolling, it has no effect on the length of time the page and images take to download. Also, as many of us know firsthand, this script sometimes does not work right in IE6. (I am not sure about IE7) It seems to work reliably in Firefox.

So to summarize, the disappearing images problem is not a PHPBB issue, or a server issue. It is caused by the auto-image-resizing javascript and the way that script interacts with IE6.

I'm 87.2% sure I am right...:D

(I develop web apps for a living...)

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
shroomhead said:

I think it has to do with the fix that was implemented awhile back that automatically resizes large images down to 400 pixels wide.......
I think you are right!! its when the issues with disappearing pics started.

I don't have this problem on other forums, just HSN.

·
Registered
270 Posts
shroomhead said:

I think it has to do with the fix that was implemented awhile back that automatically resizes large images down to 400 pixels wide, or whatever it is. I never noticed the problem before this was done. Also, the fix really doesn't really "fix" the image problem anyway. The resized image is still the same size, bandwidth-wise, and still takes just as long to download. It just looks smaller.

Every attached image, including sig pics, has this bit of code attached to it:

onLoad="SMR_resize(this);

What this does is that *after* the image has already been downloaded to your computer, this bit of javascript resizes the pic to a maximum width of 500 pixels (I just checked..). While this does make the page more pleasing to look at by limiting left to right scrolling, it has no effect on the length of time the page and images take to download. Also, as many of us know firsthand, this script sometimes does not work right in IE6. (I am not sure about IE7) It seems to work reliably in Firefox.

So to summarize, the disappearing images problem is not a PHPBB issue, or a server issue. It is caused by the auto-image-resizing javascript and the way that script interacts with IE6.

I'm 87.2% sure I am right...:D

(I develop web apps for a living...)
However , the poster is referring to the issue of pics not appearing at all unless you hit refresh . Not the image size . I have this happen all the time here . If I post a pic I will see it the first time , and if I go to another post and then come back the picss are not here . Then I hit refresh and the pics will come back . I use maxthon with about 12 tabs opened and at least 6 tabs are other forums . I do not get this problem with 2 of the other forums using phpBB , one of them being my own forum.

·
Registered
628 Posts
However , the poster is referring to the issue of pics not appearing at all unless you hit refresh . Not the image size . I have this happen all the time here . If I post a pic I will see it the first time , and if I go to another post and then come back the picss are not here . Then I hit refresh and the pics will come back . I use maxthon with about 12 tabs opened and at least 6 tabs are other forums . I do not get this problem with 2 of the other forums using phpBB , one of them being my own forum.
Sorry if my explanation wasn't clear. :) I am aware of the issue of the pics not appearing. The problem is that the javascript on HSN used to resize the images simply does not work reliably with IE6, and sometimes the pics do not appear. The browser you are using, Maxthon, is simply a wrapper for IE6. It says so right on the maxthon home page. The reason you do not get this issue with the other two PHPBB forums you frequent is that the image resizing code is a customization of the PHPBB software for HSN. Your other two forums do not use this code.

The image resizing code was put in place here to try and get users to keep their sig pics to a reasonable size. Despite repeated warnings, begging, and pleas from the moderators, people were (and still are) linking to big pictures. Big pics do two undesirable things: 1) slow down the website, especially for those users still on dialup. 2) they mess up the formatting of the pages. Having a 1280 x 1024 pixel image as a sig will in most cases cause everybody to have to scroll left/right just to read the text of the post, let alone view the image. Swarmkeeper put the image resizing code in place to try and get control of the situation. This solution will not help the pages download faster, because the pics are not resized until after they are downloaded. But it would help with the page formatting issues as it will auto-resize images down to a size that will not mess up the page format. The problem is that the code is buggy with IE6. Or IE6 is buggy running the code... However you want to look at it, the image resizing code does not work reliably with IE6. This is the reason images sometimes appear and sometimes do not. Sometimes a refresh helps, sometimes it takes several refreshes to get them to show.

Hope this helps... :)

Also, my apologies to Swarm if I made too many assumptions here. :oops:

·
Registered
270 Posts
Sorry if my explanation wasn't clear. :) Your other two forums do not use this code.

[/quote] Totally understandable at this point :D . What threw me off was just that "So to summarize, the disappearing images problem is not a PHPBB issue, or a server issue. It is caused by the auto-image-resizing javascript and the way that script interacts with IE6." withing taking into account that they were using image reduction limits which I know makes things much easier. I'm even starting to post just the url link instead of using the IMG tags . Cheers .

·
Registered
335 Posts
Shroomhead, if I'm reading this correctly, shouldn't it only affect images that are big enough to require re-sizing? (I dumped IE a while ago and am on Firefox, a MASSIVE improvement, so don't experience the problem myself)

·
Registered
628 Posts
Trueseaker said:
Shroomhead, if I'm reading this correctly, shouldn't it only affect images that are big enough to require re-sizing? (I dumped IE a while ago and am on Firefox, a MASSIVE improvement, so don't experience the problem myself)
Warning, kinda geeky...

Every inline image, including sig pics and pics people put inside of [ img ] tags, regardless of size, has the resizing code attached to it. Avatar pics (over on the left, if you have one) do not have it. The script stores the image width and height in variables. Then, if the image is bigger than allowed, the width and height variables are adjusted down. The image width and height are then set to the values in those variables. So even if the image width and height are within the limits, they are still read into variables and then re-assigned to the image. I believe it's the re-assigning part that confuses IE at times, but I'm not sure...

Hope that makes sense... :)

·
Registered
549 Posts
Sparc said:
I use IE6. I also visit a number of forums. This is the only forum I have any problem viewing the pictures.

Refresh will occasionally solve the problem, but what it does mostly is hide the pictures I've already seen.

So while some say its an IE6 problem, I say its a HSN problem. Though it not enough of a problem for me to stop visiting. And if it turns out there is a picture I want to see, but refresh isn't doing it for me, I know how to use 'View Source' and 'Copy' and 'Paste'.

Its a problem I'd like to see the admins fix. That and the 'hidden' "you have no new messages" text.

Sparc
+1

·
Registered
29 Posts
It might be the refresh on your browser, in IE go to tools,internet options, browsing history,settings and check the box that says every time I visit the web page. this might help otherwise leave the automatic button pressed.

·
Registered
628 Posts
jbois28 said:
It might be the refresh on your browser, in IE go to tools,internet options, browsing history,settings and check the box that says every time I visit the web page. this might help otherwise leave the automatic button pressed.
I am 99.9% sure that is not it... I have played with those IE settings to no avail. It is definately a bug with the way IE6 interacts with the image resizing script.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts