Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just noticed this, and don't know if it was there before. It may have something to do with the colder weather we're having.
I have pretty loud pipes on my 2002 VLX, but even so, when warmed up and idled down I can normally hear the primary drive purring in the crankcase. But the last couple of days it seems that when I arrive at work there is more miscellaneous noise coming from that area just before I shut down. Nothing particularly scary like a knock or a rattle or a shriek, just an assortment of sounds that I hadn't noticed before. The bike seems to be running just fine, other than my gas mileage is down just a tick (again since the cold weather started). Oil level and cleanliness ok, no hi-temp light, yada yada. No bearing clatter when shutting down.
I'm going to be listening to the engine sounds with a fine-toothed ear for the time being, but I was wondering if others would expect the sounds to vary with either outside temp, or engine temp, or both?
When I started up this morning it seemed normal; when I got to work (12 mile ride in 26 F) it was making the Funny Noise again.
Whatcha all think? All in my head? :?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Hmm.. over my head I think. I wonder if the internal vs external temperature difference could be causing something to be squeezed (or not, and it should). I would think that colder air temps would help your mileage, not hurt it, but then if the gas at the pumps is a different blend than it usually is when you fill up maybe that would account for the efficiency drop. Can you tell exactly where your mystery noises are coming from? My dad has a stethoscope with a metal 'rod' (for lack of a better term) on it he touches to different parts of his engine to see where exactly a particular noise is coming from. Maybe that would help you (and the mechanical experts on here) figure it out.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, it's definitely there, not in my fevered imagination.
I haven't done the stethoscope thing so I can't localize it precisely, but it seems to be coming from the upper crankcase area on the right side more than the left.
The noise that disturbs me is not a lifter tick, but it does give me the impression of general valve train noise -- sort of a scrabbling or scrubbing sound. Could even be a gear or chain noise (sorry, I should look in my service manual -- not sure if this bike has a chain or gear primary drive).
It is noticeably louder when the scoot is warm, but it is definitely present when cold.
I confess I cheaped out on my last oil change. I may try changing to better oil. And I'm a bit overdue for a valve adjustment, which could be contributing to it.
I might be able to get to this this weekend... if anyone has ideas, let me know. Meanwhile I'll keep you posted as to what I find if anything.
-G

1 - 3 of 3 Posts