Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just ordered an Edlbrock pro-flo 1000 air cleaner and will fabricate the needed bits to mount it

I think it will look good, I just don't care to much for the stock air cleaner it looks like a mixing bowl stuck to the side of the engine.
also the custom air cleaners for Harleys that could be modified to fit are STUPID expensive.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Well it is a big honking triangle instead.
I think the larger of the oval ones for import carbs looks better.
Either way the bike will sound better and you will have some jetting to do, performance will improve some once you get it right.
Take a look At @Aced It's My Road to Rod for some good tips. My Road to Rod
Or if you send your filter back and get the smaller one the article here: Installing a custom air filter/intake on the 750 ACE or Spirit - Shadowriders

Be aware that you are putting your foot on the slippery slope of performance mods.
Just so you know. (-;

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm preparing,

Well it is a big honking triangle instead.
I think the larger of the oval ones for import carbs looks better.
Either way the bike will sound better and you will have some jetting to do, performance will improve some once you get it right.
Take a look At @Aced It's My Road to Rod for some good tips. My Road to Rod
Or if you send your filter back and get the smaller one the article here: Installing a custom air filter/intake on the 750 ACE or Spirit - Shadowriders

Be aware that you are putting your foot on the slippery slope of performance mods.
Just so you know. (-;
The pro-flo is actually only a half inch longer and taller, and it won't stick out as far.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I lived with the a modded stock filter until August of last year.
I didn't like it when I got the bike in 2014 and learned to tolerate it, but it is all gone now and my knee hasn't figured out what to do with its extra freedom yet.

For jets and this is just a starting point to get it rideable and then you will have to look at the plugs and test with the seat of your pants and figure how you want to go, every bike is different and so is your local climate and altitude.
I'd go with 42 pilots, mains 135 rear, 130 front (all Keihin size) and stick a suitable sized aluminum pop rivet backup washer on each of the slide needles to raise them up.
It won't be ideal, but it shouldn't cough and fall on its face when you twist the throttle as would happen with stock jetting.

·
Registered
209 Posts
As for the airbox interfering with your knee, Get 4 longer bolts (need 10x60mm) and some 3/4" tall 1" OD 10mm (13/32) IDspacers, install spacers between footpeg pivot mount and frame bracket. Your knees will appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
The filter box and plenum on the 750 ACE with its small capacity and tiny inlet falls far short of optimum design for performance, there just isn't enough space.
It is a compromise, with limited room due to the single conventional gas tank, large frame backbone and an air filter box that has no where to go. Add to that the desire to keep it quiet and other than an attempt to balance runners everything is dictated by available space.
Honda got away with it as the engine has mild cam timing with a low rpm torque peak and relatively low max rpm.
There is a huge difference between that and the example Suzuki VStrom.
A plenum is a great way to tune an engine and reduce turbulence, there's just no physical room for more than a couple of liters at best on the 750 ACE, no snorkel between twin frame rails and a plastic gas tank shell.

Now the other one about moving the peg out, is a very good idea and a workable compromise on the 750 ACE as the pegs are relatively far back for a cruiser and there are very few people who scrape pegs or drag boots when riding them.

Now we've done it, the post is turning Technical in the General Bike Discussion Forum! (-;

1 - 8 of 8 Posts