Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see bikes parked everywhere: on the sidewalks at Wall-e-world, at painted off areas at the end of parking aisles, in the striped areas next to handicapped parking. If I'm riding my bike can I park it anywhere I want? I feel weird if I don't use a regular car spot or designated motorcycle parking.
What are the rules?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Only if they don’t catch you… bikes in my area are required to follow the same rules as cars when parking. Sometimes a business will let you park on their sidewalk. In the case of the gym I use, they let bikes park on the walkway in front of the windows (walkways very wide) but the parts store doesn’t allow it so I park in a regular spot.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Sure, you can park it anywhere you want. But be prepared for a ticket if it is illegal. On Base, the rules say we can park in hash lines at the end of parking lanes. Off base, I don't think it is legal. At Walley-World, I park at the bicyle rack, heck, if they can park on the cement, so can I! It pays to check first, and see what the rules are in your area.-----Metalguy

·
Registered
561 Posts
I park in those yellow lines at the end of a row at Walmart, provided it is not the end of a handicap space. And in a parking space, I park it as soon as I get my ass end out of the aisle. I have seen people come wheeling into a parking spot and not see the bike there because they pulled all the way up.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I see bikes parked everywhere: on the sidewalks at Wall-e-world, at painted off areas at the end of parking aisles, in the striped areas next to handicapped parking. If I'm riding my bike can I park it anywhere I want? I feel weird if I don't use a regular car spot or designated motorcycle parking.
What are the rules?
These are my "rules": At Wal*Mart, I always park on the concrete area in front of the store...always. Never had a problem. There are not many places around here with designated motorcycle parking, but if they have it, that would be my first pick.

The only place that is strictly off limits to me is the striped areas next to the handicapped spaces; someone will make a claim that you are interfering with handicap people and you will never win that argument. It doesn't matter that half the people who park there use grandma's handicap placard.

You can park in a car spot if you want, but I never felt too comfortable with that. The bikes are harder for cars to see. In addition, you have to worry about shopping carts. It is more convenient to park on the sidewalk in front of the store and try to do it in a way that you do not limit customers' access, or park in the cross hatch at the end of a row near the store.

On city streets, you can often squeeze in on the end of a parking space or row of spaces. In the cities, it seems ok for scooters to park on the sidewalks but not motorcycles.

·
Registered
434 Posts
...... And in a parking space, I park it as soon as I get my ass end out of the aisle. I have seen people come wheeling into a parking spot and not see the bike there because they pulled all the way up.
+1

At first I thought the bike would be better "protected" pulling all the way up into the space... Then I realized what iacmf said above...cars need to see your bike or they'll blast right into the spot...

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I always back my bike into a normal parking spot, a bit sideways, in the center of the spot and with enough space between cars that if some a**hole knocks my bike over it won't hit a car. That would be insult to injury if some a**hole knocked my bike over AND I ended up responsible for damage to someone's car. I also park as close to the entrance to the spot as possible so anyone else pulling into the spot will see me. Not only do I not want a car to swing into the spot not seeing my bike and hit me but we've all been in the position of seeing a great parking spot, racing across the parking lot to grab the spot, only to see a bike or small car parked there!

·
Registered
811 Posts
The grocery store and walmart I park up on the sidewalk if there is a good location that will not obstruct anyone. My thought is, if I am not parked in anyones way there is much less chance someone will complain. I have not had any issue yet, just one resturant that told me they would rather I parked in a car spot so I moved it. Most places I have been have dedicated bike parking. At my work and the college I am currently attending have it right up near the front door. Me and a good freind of mine call it rock star parking.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
The grocery store and walmart I park up on the sidewalk if there is a good location that will not obstruct anyone. My thought is, if I am not parked in anyones way there is much less chance someone will complain. I have not had any issue yet, just one resturant that told me they would rather I parked in a car spot so I moved it. Most places I have been have dedicated bike parking. At my work and the college I am currently attending have it right up near the front door. Me and a good freind of mine call it rock star parking.
Hey Big John... I still love that older Beemer look. Wish I would have never sold the 90/6...

And to keep the thread on track... I sometimes park on the end of the spaces if there is room and not impeding anyone. And at WallyWorld, on the very wide sidewalk... (no problems yet) And if I park in a regular spot... I too, make sure it is parked at the front of the space so you can see her clearly in line with all the bumpers... This space is taken.:wink:

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
funny this thread came up. I was thinking of this just last night. Yesterday, I had 4 or 5 stops to make and at every stop, I pulled up on the sidewalk, as far from the front door of the store as sidewalk would allow, and parked. No one seems to mind around here and I don't know if it's illegal or not but I will most always park on the sidewalk or in the striped area at the end of the parking stalls, closest to the store. I see bikes parked the same way and in parking stalls. Most of the larger bikes park in the stalls.

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
I have a serious hearing impairment, both ears, I wear hearing aids, I still don't hear 100%, the further I have to walk thru a parking lot increases the chance of me getting hit by a car that I don't hear. I have had many near misses, and yes I look around to the point of feeling owlish.

Thus I sometimes park in the excessively huge hash marks next to the handicapped parking, always leaving plenty of room for van ramps and such. I have yet to be ticketed, and if I ever am, I daresay that there isn't a judge in South Carolina that won't agree that a hearing impairment is a handicap.

There are many impairments that just don't "legally" allow you the sticker. eh

mark

·
Registered
274 Posts
I feel like parking on the sidewalk at wal-mart is inviting kids and dumb adults to touch and possibly sit on your bike.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I feel like parking on the sidewalk at wal-mart is inviting kids and dumb adults to touch and possibly sit on your bike.
Good point ^^^.
I tried to boycott wally world, but their prices are so dang cheep and I couldn't resist :(

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
Well here's one for you... Seaside Heights New Jersey... can't park more than one bike in a metered spot... guess the city wants the revenue for each bike... sucks.

So much for encouraging pollution reduction and giving perks to HOV vehicles.

·
Registered
248 Posts
At walmart I just park in the hash marks...everywhere else its a case by case problem. If its a big parking lot I do not like to park in any ol spot for obvious reasons. But if its an open parking lot that you can see most of Ill park like cars do.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.