Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been hearing from time to time on here about a fuel pump. I have a 2007 Shadow 750 Aero and the best I can tell, is it's like the Sporty was, gravity fed from the tank. I have a 2005 Honda manual I downloaded from here and I can't find one on a 2005 750 Aero. Getting dumb in my old age I guess.

·
Registered
'83 VT750C
1,802 Posts
You don’t. Most of the bikes that had them had a reserve tank sitting lower on the frame, so fuel should have been pumped back up to the carbs. Since the needed pressure was low enough that a vacuum pump could be substituted in for the electric stock pump, the accelerator pump on your carb probably serves a similar function.

·
Registered
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
4,118 Posts
The 750 Aero with one carb has no fuel pump.
The vacuum petcock is an on and off valve not a pump the fuel is pure gravity feed to the carb.
The accelerator pump's rod operated diaphragm is to enrich the mixture upon throttle opening improving initial response.

The post '88 twin carb vt600 and '97 and later twin carb 750 Shadows used the fuel pump primarily to ensure fuel flow for the last half of the tank. There is a lack of height between the bottom of the tank and the carbs, not much incentive for gravitational flow. There is no secondary fuel tank on those.
Customs based on those bikes with elevated tanks can often eliminate the pump.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts