Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a set of Hard Krome 2.75 big straights for my 04 Sabre. I have had one mechanic tell me that re jetting is NOT necessary, he is the ONLY one I have heard say this. HK reccommends jetting and every other mechanic I have talked to says it won't run right unless I rejet. Has anybody put a full exhaust on and Not jetted and if so, did the bike run smoothly? Is this one mechanic that told me I don't need to way off with his info? Thanks for any feedback.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Ok...if everyone else...including the manufacturer of the pipes...are telling you to rejet...why are you even listening to the one lone soul that is telling you that you don't have to?

That aside...rejetting depends on how your bike runs. Run the bike, make sure it starts easily (or at least as easily as it did before the pipes), take it out on the road, get it up to about 55 mph and hold it there for 5 miles. Then kill the motor and coast to a stop. Check the plugs and see how they look. You do not want to let the bike run to a stop because you will get an inaccurate reading of the plugs at highway speed. Determine from the spark plugs if you need to rejet. Chances are...what you will see if a very light colored tip...which would indicate a lean condition. If they are a tan color...then you are good as it is.

If you get some pop on decel, then you can adjust the mixture screws to get rid of most of them. There have been many posts written on adjusting those. There is even a write-up on it on the www.sa750.com website. The link to that page is http://www.sa750.com/mixscrews/mixscrews.htm.

Hope this information helps...and I really hope I didn't offend you with my opening statement.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Think about it like this,
Honda uses "Lean Carburetor Settings" to meet EPA standards.

Now that means your bike came from the factory in need of rejetting?
So it would be in your best interest to rejet.
MarkC

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MarkC said:
Think about it like this,
Honda uses "Lean Carburetor Settings" to meet EPA standards.

Now that means your bike came from the factory in need of rejetting?
So it would be in your best interest to rejet.
MarkC
Then it looks like there is a rejet in my near future.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I put the Hard Kromes on and had the Hendrick group rejet my carbs. Bottom line was improvement in some gears, less in others and a very, very loud set of pipes. If that is what you are looking for, then yes, you better rejet. And get ready for the sound, as you will either luv it, or hate it. Me? went back to the stocks.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
trjam said:
I put the Hard Kromes on and had the Hendrick group rejet my carbs. Bottom line was improvement in some gears, less in others and a very, very loud set of pipes. If that is what you are looking for, then yes, you better rejet. And get ready for the sound, as you will either luv it, or hate it. Me? went back to the stocks.
Sounds like me, I put a set of aftermarket exhaust on mine and they only made a single six mile ride and put the stock ones back on.
MarkC

·
Registered
258 Posts
I had Cobra Tapered on our '02 Spirit 1100 for about 7k miles......I'm back to stock pipes......

The Cobra's sounded great idling and up to about 40mph......after that it sounded like a high-powered lawn mower to me.......add an hour ride to work one-way -- that sound got tiring....and wanting ear plugs....

I didn't rejet.....didn't need too -- web site suggested to rejet.....

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
vwfarm said:
I had Cobra Tapered on our '02 Spirit 1100 for about 7k miles......I'm back to stock pipes......
The Cobra's sounded great idling and up to about 40mph......after that it sounded like a high-powered lawn mower to me.......add an hour ride to work one-way -- that sound got tiring....and wanting ear plugs....
The"Cobra Classic Taper Tips" exhaust system is what I put on my bike? I rode it to the gas station (3 miles one way) and that was enough for me!. I could feel the noise, it made the bike feel rough. One thing I had come to like about the bike was how smooth the engine was. As soon as I got home I put the stock exhaust back on, I didn't even let them cool down before I started working on it. The aftermarket exhaust cheapened how my bike felt and sounded.
MarkC

·
Registered
258 Posts
MarkC said:
vwfarm said:
The"Cobra Classic Taper Tips" exhaust system is what I put on my bike? I rode it to the gas station (3 miles one way) and that was enough for me!. I could feel the noise, it made the bike feel rough. One thing I had come to like about the bike was how smooth the engine was. As soon as I got home I put the stock exhaust back on, I didn't even let them cool down before I started working on it. The aftermarket exhaust cheapened how my bike felt and sounded.
MarkC
You're right Mark, they did make the bike ride rought/shake.....I still have them -- just looking as a project to add more baffles to them some day....... My cousin put HD mufflers on his bike and it sound good -- so I have thought of that route too.......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts