Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
QUESTION:
Do I want to buy this carb clean service for my NEW TO ME but 13+ year old bike????

Ultrasonic carburetor cleaning

Thank you for any advice. Context is:

I'm an absolutely brand new rider, and so far I've clocked only about 300 miles.

I bought a 2002 Honda Shadow Spirit VT750DC, chain drive, 7400 miles. It's my very 1st bike ever. I'm in my 60s...maybe too late to start riding? ! did complete the basic safety class (instructors in Santa Maria
were better-than-excellent ), and intend to take the 2nd level class after awhile. Whole lotta fun so far!!!

Upon buying the bike I replaced the
a) spark plugs with NGK DPR8EA-9 per owner's manual,
b) air cleaner with K & N HA-7500 (because it was recommended on this board, man that was just too dang expensive !),
c) oil filter with Purolator Pure One PL14612 because it's recommended in the "oilology" area on this board, and
d) engine oil with regular automotive 10W-40 from Costco, per the Honda Owner's manual (no mention in there of any special "motorcycle oil"...the Honda manual simply says various weights depending on climate, so I picked 10W-40 because the climate here fits that).
e) lubed chain with 80W-80 gear oil per user's manual.
f) accidentally snapped off the left mirror so now I gotta buy a replacement on Amazon.com (apparently drastically cheaper than exact same brand & model number from JC Whitney, like Amazon=$35 ea plus free ship vs
JC Whitney= $45 ea).

p.s. I don't know how to remove my bike's 2 carbs so I'd have to pay him for that too.

ALSO, should I replace oil in the back wheel hub? Don't find advice about how to do that, or what oil to use, in here.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome! If you do have some problem that will require you to remove the carbs just look for the information here and read and read and read. I cleaned and put a jet kit in my carbs using the info from this forum and had never worked on bike carbs before.
KCochran,
Sounds like you took a big risk doing that! Maybe someday after I learn more then I'll follow your example.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why do you think you need your carbs need to be cleaned, are you having some kind of problem with the bike running? <cut>
Not having any problems, but I just want to keep the bike in top condition, and the odometer is approaching 8,000 miles. That seems like a point where cleaning might help keep the bike like new, but I don't know anything, am just guessing.

I think I'll drop the idea of the sonic carb cleaning for now.

Everybody- Thanks for the helpful advice.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would suggest you take the bike in for a routine check-up, but it looks like you've already done most of that.

Maybe take it in to a local shop with a trustworthy atmosphere (like, yelp reviews) for an oil change back to MC oil, have them check the bike over, etc. It might cost you $100 or so, but it's setting a benchmark for all future work.

I doubt your carbs need ultrasonic cleaning. That service may help if you're working with troublesome carbs, but not if the bike is running A-OK.

EDIT: FYI - 8000 miles is not the concern. It's 8000 miles in 13 years that would worry me. That's less than 650 miles per year. Check the production dates on your tires, look close for dry rot. General rule of thumb, tires over 7 years old are suspect, regardless of tread. Inspect the fuel tank for any signs of rust. Change your fuel filter and check it again after a few tanks of fuel. Check the chain, brakes, battery and anything else you can think of. Replace any wear-item you are not 100% sure of the condition.

jwinker,
Sounds like good advice. Thank you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.