Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I wanted to paint my bike a Flat Black, I could not find any info online for tips... If anyone out there wants to paint their bike like this, let me know and I will send you a step by step procedure I just recently used with pictures... I am happy to say that I love my new paint job and have gotten a lot of complements on my bike since than I have ever had before... (going out to ride now)....

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Also, there was a recent article in Hot Rod describing flat blacking a rod with Rustoleum and it turned out great. Apparently you just bump the thinner up and it goes on great with an HVLP gun. Didn't see it reprinted on line but checking out copies at your local library should suffice.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
When I wanted to paint my bike a Flat Black, I could not find any info online for tips... If anyone out there wants to paint their bike like this, let me know and I will send you a step by step procedure I just recently used with pictures... I am happy to say that I love my new paint job and have gotten a lot of complements on my bike since than I have ever had before... (going out to ride now)....
I love my rattle can job and it turned out better than most professional jobs, but you don't even mention if you rattled or bottled. How can you offer 'to offer' tips without pics? ... Post up the pics or I'll be forced to keep posting mine! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
128 Posts
I was actually about to ask a question about that. My bike is painted flat black (see sig picture) and it turned out decently. I used Duplicolor flat black primer (5 coats) and finished with 2 coats of Duplicolor matte black enamel (all from spray cans).

The main problem is, the first time I went to fill it up at the gas station a couple of drops of gas spilled on it and left pretty noticable marks on the matte finish.

Is there something I need to do to prevent this? Do I need to coat it with something? I sanded them back out with 1500 grit and that seemed to work, but I don't want to have to do that every time I get gas!

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
You can clear it with a flat or semi-flat. I haven't done that and I'm just super careful when I get gas. It's not a show bike and I like the 'broken in' look about flats. But the bright side is any spillage can always be sanded or rubbed out. The beauty of rats. :wink:

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
I was actually about to ask a question about that. My bike is painted flat black (see sig picture) and it turned out decently. I used Duplicolor flat black primer (5 coats) and finished with 2 coats of Duplicolor matte black enamel (all from spray cans).

The main problem is, the first time I went to fill it up at the gas station a couple of drops of gas spilled on it and left pretty noticable marks on the matte finish.

Is there something I need to do to prevent this? Do I need to coat it with something? I sanded them back out with 1500 grit and that seemed to work, but I don't want to have to do that every time I get gas!
Always, take the time to wipe.. Use your other hand or a rag to catch the drops.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Always, take the time to wipe.. Use your other hand or a rag to catch the drops.
Heheh, I always wipe. I hate skidmarks.

In all seriousness though, the last time I got a drop on the tank I wiped it off immediately and it still stained the paint. Maybe just the petroleum residue? I guess I'll try some goof off next time to see if that cleans it, rather than sanding.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Heheh, I always wipe. I hate skidmarks.

In all seriousness though, the last time I got a drop on the tank I wiped it off immediately and it still stained the paint. Maybe just the petroleum residue? I guess I'll try some goof off next time to see if that cleans it, rather than sanding.
Just saying, solutions for a dripping hose seem pretty obvious, too me.
Ask your Father or better yet Grand Father to explain my comment.

Another suggestion is something every boy was taught by about age 3. Always, give it a little shake, to prevent drips.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
My bike is painted with BBQ flat black and so is the engine. Really tough paint.
Razor, your bike is bada$$ :mrgreen: ... I was actually considering the BBQ paint, but the sheen wasn't quite what I wanted for myself.

·
Registered
27 Posts
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.