1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Federal agent penetrated Hells Angels, fears for his life
POSTED: 4:49 p.m. EST, February 5, 2007

http://www.cnn.com/2007/LAW/02/05/atf.agent/index.html

Story Highlights• Jay Dobyns went deep undercover in the Hells Angels motorcycle gang
• He claims the ATF is failing to protect him and his family from the Hells Angels
• The ATF says it is reviewing Dobyns' case
More on CNN TV: CNN's Kelli Arena takes you inside Jay Dobyns' stint with the Hells Angels tonight on "Anderson Cooper 360°," at 10 p.m. ET.
By Kelli Arena, Scott Bronstein and Jim Spellman
CNN

Adjust font size:
MESA, Arizona (CNN) -- For nearly two years, Jay Dobyns led a double life. He rode alongside the Hells Angels, becoming a member of one of the nation's most feared criminal gangs. But at the same time, he was working as a federal agent in an effort to bring the Hells Angels down.

Jay Dobyns works for the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, the federal agency responsible for enforcing the nation's gun laws. His deep undercover work with the Hells Angels from 2001-2003 ultimately helped bring the indictment and trial of 16 gang members and their associates.

As a result, Dobyns was awarded a top cop award by the National Association of Police Organizations. He also was hailed on America's Most Wanted as one of the "Good Guys" who brings down the criminals.

But today, just a few years later, Dobyns says that after risking his life on assignment, he has been left vulnerable by the very agency that he proudly served.

Feeling abandoned
With his undercover work done and his real identity as a law enforcement agent exposed, Dobyns says the Hells Angels and other gangs enlisted by it came after him, issuing death threats. Dobyns claims that the ATF -- rather than protecting him -- abandoned him.

"There was a murder contract on me and there was what was called a green light list, which was circulating in the prison, which was a list of people that various gangs wanted killed," Dobyns told CNN.

In response, Dobyns says, the ATF gave him a routine transfer with no special protection, despite his repeated protests. The ATF could have moved Dobyns and his family under what is known as a "threat policy" -- similar to the kind of protection the government routinely gives witnesses in organized crime cases.

But federal agents who go undercover don't automatically get a high level of protection, according to Dobyns and other ATF agents CNN interviewed.

"In order to save money, I was told it wasn't cost effective," Dobyns says.

Dobyns says he has moved himself and his family several times to elude those who've threatened to KILL HIM. He has filed a claim with the ATF for the emotional stress and financial burden he says hE'S had to bear as a result.

I've met 1%ers before and by & large they were real down to earth people.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Last year, I forget which channel, but there was a show about the Ching-A-Ling Nomads in I think SF or NYC.

Very interesting.
Disturbing, but nonetheless fascinating.

Some of the guys seemed decent, although fringy; some guys seemed exactly as bad as some might imagine them to be.

I didn't really care for the way women were mistreated in the gang though.

My motto is usually "to each his own"... but that's a different kind of culture to be sure.

-K

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Yawn, no badder than any other "gang", "cult", "religion" et al, these just happen to ride bikes. Stories about them are becoming boring and repetitive.

Whats more disturbing is how our law enforcement throws away trained valuable agents after the top polititions get the arrests they want for the "photo op" election advertisement.

"It's not cost effective" to protect the agents life or his family, after all they got the arrests they wanted. He's expendable.

They can just hire and train another one cheaper than providing a new identitiy for this one.

8)

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
rickbb said:
Yawn, no badder than any other "gang", "cult", "religion" et al, these just happen to ride bikes. Stories about them are becoming boring and repetitive.

Whats more disturbing is how our law enforcement throws away trained valuable agents after the top polititions get the arrests they want for the "photo op" election advertisement.

"It's not cost effective" to protect the agents life or his family, after all they got the arrests they wanted. He's expendable.

They can just hire and train another one cheaper than providing a new identitiy for this one.

That disposable mindset has got to go.

8)

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
sounds like "Under and Alone" - an excellent book about an undercover agent similar to this guy, joined a gand called the mogols. Can't remember the author....another ATF guy...William Queen, undercover as Billy St. John, got patched in and even elected an officer of the club.

just googled it and apparently it will be a movie in 2008 -

click here - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0383026/

·
Registered
270 Posts
Of course they are "down to earth" and just regular guys to anyone thats not involved. You think they are going to be what they are to civilians?
You see the public side of them and not their real side unless you are in it or do something to get them involved.

·
Registered
24 Posts
watching it right now....... I missed the first 30 mins but have my tivo ready to record the later viewing........

·
Registered
72 Posts
My friend and I were riding home from a rally and when we stopped to grab a bite to eat we were approached by some HA's ("81" supporters). We were talking by our bikes before getting back on the road and 4 of them came up to us and asked us to take off our colors because we were on there turf and out of ours. They explained that they had some respect issues. I didn't have a problem with it and understood where they were comming from so we took off our vests and put them in the bags. We talked to them for 5-10 min and took off. They weren't rude or anything. I am sure if we didn't comply we would have had 5 (+) more over there making sure we did. Thats my run in story... I've heard worse.

Joe

G

·
0 Posts
Simply put..Give space and be aware.
do not wear support shirts lightly. I have worn Angel support shirts for a local political reason dealing with the city of Laconia. I am aware that this makes me highly visible to other elements. I have also dealt for prospects. These are not folk to be taken lightly.

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Aero98 said:
Of course they are "down to earth" and just regular guys to anyone thats not involved. You think they are going to be what they are to civilians?
You see the public side of them and not their real side unless you are in it or do something to get them involved.
No, I worked with one for over a year.
He was extreme in everything he did, but in every way, a guy I called my friend.

Once I was chased by a guy with a tire iron - turns out the guy was on the volunteer FD.
"BigTime," was ready to pulverize this guy on my word alone - he would defend his friend.
That, in itself scared me, but we talked and agreed that if I wished to continue living in that town, I'd need to be on good term with the FD & PD...afterall, they were my NEXT DOOR NEIGHBORS.
I lived right next door to the HQ. ;)

·
Registered
889 Posts
My policy is simple and it works......I never wear patches or colors or anything like that.....basic black leather......All the things I believe in are located in a much more productive place than on my back......in my head.

·
Registered
1994 Honda Shadow VT1100C. 1993 Honda VF750C Magna.
1,379 Posts
Lou Pietrandrea said:
My policy is simple and it works......I never wear patches or colors or anything like that.....basic black leather......All the things I believe in are located in a much more productive place than on my back......in my head.
I respect your view totally, Lou.

I, on the other hand, have been a member of the SSLB MC for about 4 years and can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I have ridden without wearing my colours.

BUT - and here's the thing - I don't wear them if I am going someplace I am not familiar with, or someplace where others might take offence. It is easy to put the vest under the jacket. :lol:

My SSLB pin, however, is always visible. I am proud to be a member of a club that is, in just about all respects, different.

Just an observation. Not trying to stir the pot.

Collector

1 - 12 of 12 Posts