Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious to know if other bike riders have had the same " Biker Days " I do on my bike.

I have had days where my bike felt so good, so natural and was a complete joy to ride. Everything seemed to be done with precision and I felt as if I was one with the bike.

Then I have had days where the bike felt horrible, it felt unnatural and riding it made me feel like it was the second or third time I had ever been on a bike.

Do others have these days as well ? Or is it just me ? I have had days where the bike felt so bad underneath me and I felt so apprehensive that I parked it and didn't ride till the next day.

Just wondering if i am nuts.

Chris

·
Registered
131 Posts
I don't think you're nuts. I, too, have had those days. I thought it was just me because I've only been riding for about 15 months. Sometimes I ride and I feel like everything is perfect. I'm going around corners and turns like the bike and I are one. Then the next time I get on the bike, it's like I've never taken a turn before. I figured it was me since I'm still considered a newbie. It's nice to hear someone else say they experience this.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Yes your nuts :lol: :lol: :lol: Sorry I couldn't resist. Some days you're in a groove and some days not. I think it has to do with the way things are happening around you. Some days your fellow drivers are more nuts than others.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Chris, I don`t think you are nuts. If you are, than I`m nuts to. I think a lot has to do with frame of mind. Some times the bike shifts so smooth and other times nothing but "CLUNKS". I have found that if I`m not into the ride for what ever reason I go home. :roll: When that happens, something else will happen. :cry:

·
Registered
749 Posts
I don't recall having any of "those" days but I reckon you're right to park it if you just don't feel right.

·
Registered
16 Posts
yup, now when i'm frozen I dump the clutch as I usually have barely any feeling in my fingers....but when it's warm out i completely gimp it and sometimes it feels like my balance is way off.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Had that feeling a time or two myself. On a few rare occations, right after I get on the bike, I got a feeling that this wouldn't be a good day to ride so I got back off and drove the cage that day. So if you're nuts I must be off the deep end. :shock: :D

·
Registered
139 Posts
Okay, I have to be honest. Since I am a new rider, I can't say I have had any good or bad days riding.
But I can safely say that I have had days driving where I have thought "Gee, I'm really glad I'm not riding, cuz my mind really isn't all there today."
I just pray that when I do start riding, I'm conscious enough to make that observation BEFORE I get on the bike.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Yes I have had that happen to me too and stopped the ride short of my original intentions.

It's really tough when you going out with another rider - it's really quite impossible to say; "Hey, I'm just not feeling good about riding today so I am going home".

The response is liable to be: "Buck-up A$$hole and get back on the bike" of course my wife usually doesn't talk to me quite that harshly....... :oops:

Usually works out fine if you keep going, but you have to change your frame of mind and stay super focused - so it's not as relaxing or fun as some rides. Still better than a good day at work......

·
Registered
8,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's great to read these posts. I can now cancel my appointment with the local head Doctor. :)

I have also noticed that on these days where I feel apart from the bike, its also the same day I always do something stupid, like stall the bike at a light because I forgot to down shift. Or round a corner to close to the center line.

That's why I leave the bike parked when I have my bad days. No sense in getting myself killed when my head is firmly buried in my backside. :)

Thanks everyone for your honest posts. It's good to know I am not the only one who " Has Those Days ".

Chris

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
Christopher said:
I was curious to know if other bike riders have had the same " Biker Days " I do on my bike.

I have had days where my bike felt so good, so natural and was a complete joy to ride. Everything seemed to be done with precision and I felt as if I was one with the bike.

Then I have had days where the bike felt horrible, it felt unnatural and riding it made me feel like it was the second or third time I had ever been on a bike.

Do others have these days as well ? Or is it just me ? I have had days where the bike felt so bad underneath me and I felt so apprehensive that I parked it and didn't ride till the next day.

Just wondering if i am nuts.

Chris
I thought it was only me!! Some days it's like the bike is part of me and other days I'm fumbling through turns and feel off balance when I stop, and I have had a couple of days when I rode a few miles and came home because I was not "feeling it". Very interesting topic to bring up.

PS Chris....you get to ride again in a few weeks right? Here's to your health and to many, many GREAT "biker days"!!!! :wink:

·
Registered
8,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Chris....you get to ride again in a few weeks right? Here's to your health and to many, many GREAT "biker days"!!!!

Vito:

I was cleared by the Surgeon to start riding today so I took it for a quick spin to see how my hand would handle the throttle. It was fine, no worries.
But I felt like crap on the bike felt so I parked it inside the trailer and called it a day. I must have looked like a drunk on that thing - wobbly and unbalanced. :)

Thanks for the kind words.

Chris

·
Registered
335 Posts
Christopher said:
That's why I leave the bike parked when I have my bad days. No sense in getting myself killed when my head is firmly buried in my backside. :)
LAMO! I wondered why my mom always harped about having clean underwear on in case I was in an accident....

·
Registered
339 Posts
Sometimes I just don't feel in the groove of things. Sometimes I ride anyway, but it's not as fun as when you and your ride become one

Sometimes I feel like my head is up my arse, when that happens, I dont necessarily want to ride or drive anywhere. Then sometimes a MT Dew sets me straight with the world and I'm ready to roll again :)

How about this... Ever been driving down the road in a car or truck and suddenly think "where am I", or "did I pass this turn or landmark already"? That might happen if you are tired or if your mind is running overtime on a problem or situation. I did that a couple times shortly after Mom passed away and again after Dad passed on too.

Sometimes things arent just right and it really isn't a good time to ride. If your heads not in the game, it could become dangerous.

Honest is honest.
Mark

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yeah, I've had those days. I'm 65 and sometimes wonder why I am still even doing this (been riding since I've been about 35 or so), but, I can't seem to get it out of my blood. I'm afraid if I put it up......then I will become afraid of all the other things in life that can be considered dangerous. Anyhow, as long as I am heathly, and I am able to do it, I will. If for some reason I feel too nervous, or jerky do to day to day stress that can come up......I stay off it......well, most of the time. Riding really calms me down and let's me know I am still alive and active. Besides, it's fun.

·
Registered
628 Posts
bike

It has happened to me twice. Each time the thought: Don't ride todaywent flying through my mind unexpectedly. I went with my gut feeling and left her in her stall.

Was I right? I will never know. But I am still here!

Jim

·
Registered
42 Posts
Have your days

I'm 61 and still have "those days". Recently woke up late for a ride with some Buds (alarm didn't go off although set). Jumped up, tripped over dog and stumped toe on nitestand. Hurried to kitchen, put coffee pot on stove, proceeded to bathroom. Smelled gas (no, not that gas). Hurried to kitchen, pilot lite on stove was out. Opened windows, got dressed. Broke key off in deadbolt trying to leave fast. Started to get bad feeling about riding today. Went back to bed. Yeah, guess I'm a little "nuts" too!

Bunky

1 - 20 of 20 Posts