Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have thoughts/opinions on ordering tires online vs locally? I was going to order tires online, until a buddy I ride with scared me with stories of bad motorcycle tires that had to be returned.

I'm a little worried that this kind of situation could result in finger pointing if the tire manufacturer claims the install shop caused a problem, but the shop claims the tire was faulty.

Has anyone out there had any good/bad experiences with this sort of thing?

·
Registered
859 Posts
Order my metzlers online from cruizercustomizing and got a good deal. The shops around here didn't have what I wanted. Will order again from the web when I need to replace them.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I buy my tires from a dealer just so that I don't have to worry about that very scenario you mentioned. Manufacturer vs shop and you're the one in the middle, had it happen a couple of times. I know it costs more, but for me its worth not having to deal with both sides. Guess it comes down to what you are comfortable with. Best of luck.

·
Registered
688 Posts
tires

I ordered new tires on-line, Maxxis Classic. Had to order one tire from one place and the other from a different place, long story short is one place had both but the other had a far better price on the rear. I ordered Tuesday afternoon and one of the tires was here the next day. I wanted to buy locally but of the four shops that I got prices from none of them could come close... the lowest local price was still $75 above the internet prices... and one of the shops was $125 above... all were asked for prices on the exact same thing!

Ron

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought online from one of the vendors that advertises in all of the bike mags, worked out great. I pulled the wheels, took them to a local tire shop to mount and balance, didn't cost much at all, very satisfied, would do it that way next time

·
Registered
227 Posts
I always make it a point to buy my tires from a person no matter where I am when I need them. Not necessarily a motorcycle dealership. Some place like Bikers Bay (a chain of quick lubes for motorcycles) or an independent tire wheel shop. Or a dealership.
I prefer these hard working people feed their families than saving a few cents.
Glen

·
Registered
19 Posts
Buzz Carsu said:
Last spring I purchased a front tire from www.americanmototire.com and had a local shop install with no problems. Best prices I found.
Same here. Prices were fantastic and the shipping was free. The local shop hosed me on installing though.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Just get em mounted online!
Shinydaddy said:
Buzz Carsu said:
Last spring I purchased a front tire from www.americanmototire.com and had a local shop install with no problems. Best prices I found.
Same here. Prices were fantastic and the shipping was free. The local shop hosed me on installing though.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Hawaii 600 said:
Just get em mounted online!
Last set of tires that went on my truck were mounted (and balanced) on a set of custom wheels. Bought them online, UPS brought them to my door and I put them on the truck. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

I have considered custom wheels for my bike. If I could find the style I like pre-mounted to a set of Metzelers, I'd do that in a heartbeat.

The local shops here are not just trying to feed their families, they are trying to put their kids and grandkids through college with their prices!

They way I look at it, the more money in my pocket, the more my kids will benefit. Nobody gives us charity.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
AERO_HEAD said:
The local shops here are not just trying to feed their familys, they are trying to put their kids and grandkids through college with their prices!

They way I look at it, the more money in my pocket, the more my kids will benefit. Nobody gives us charity.
I'm lucky enough to have two Honda dealer's close by. The first time I needed a back tire (two screws in it) I went to the wrong dealer and was charged $90 for installing a tire and $15 to grease the shaft splines. Now I go to the other dealer, $15 if I bring them the rim and $10 for a tube of moly grease that will last me years. Neither dealer will install a tire that you didn't buy from them though.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
I found an independent dealer that will mount carry-in tires for the same price as the ones you buy fromr them - $15 off the bike, however, his tire prices (metzler 880) were withing $10-15 of the online price so I just get them from the independent.

BTW- Metzler usually offers really good prices in or around March. Apparently there is some kind of Tire Show specials during some national show and the prices were very good I went in knowing what I could order online for and the Independent dealer made some phone calls and came within a couple bucks of online price for the rear-tire.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Since I can't pull the wheels off myself, I will never again order online. I had a really bad experience with a local shop mounting my Metzelers - they actually did it wrong, it took two days, and I couldn't take the bike home for a penny under $160 for MOUNTING. It was supposed to be $25/wheel, but they managed to find so many other things to charge for. Next time I'll just go to my trusty and trusted dealership. As a woman, it's worth more to develop a relationship with one single dealership/service shop than it is to save a few bucks on the front end.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I just ordered a set From a local dealer at $205.00 plus tax. The best price I found on the web was $211.00 with free shipping from Cruiser Customizing. Everyone is out of Dunlops. I went with the dealer hoping he will get them in sooner and if there are any problems I can handle it with them instead of shipping them back.

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,219 Posts
Done both and wouldn't hesitate to do either again. Since I've got tubes on my bike, I prefer not to mount them myself. (I have a tendency to pinch the tubes no matter how careful I am.) The variability in mounting charges is pretty amazing!

Even at the best online prices, I've found I can match (or at least come pretty close) locally with a little telephone work. The biggest advantage with online ordering that consistently comes out is availability of EXACTLY what I want.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I went throught south west moto tire great service and price you will not find their phone nuimber on their web site but information has it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Tires

I buy mine from the local dealer because I can order any tire I want through them and they usually get them quicker than I can. I feel that if you have a good shop around you it pays to develop a good relationship with them. I'm lucky to have one and I get great service from them. They also sell alot of tires and can let me know what other riders are using and alot of times let me know what they think of them.

billp

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
I buy my parts from a local shop.

They're good people, they treat their customers well, and they deserve my business more than any "we can save you $0.15" online shop. I'll drive past every dealer in the city to visit these guys, and they're an hour away.

Good business deserves good customers.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
It's worth calling around to get prices. For my last few bikes I have been getting tires at a place called Tred Mill in Sacramento. They are mostly a car/truck tire place but handle m/c tires on the side. Their prices are usually within $10 or so of the best mail order prices, and I don't have to pay shipping. Mounting/balancing is $25/tire if I bring in the wheels, and they do a very good job -- at least up to 120mph, which is all I need to know.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts