Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to learn the limits of my ACE Shadow 1100. I would like to know how far I can push it over in turns on dry and on wet pavement. It has stock Dunlop tires front and rear, stock shocks and fork spring rates. I would like to hear from anyone if you occasionally scrape your footpegs. Does the bike recover well, do any other parts hit pavement, does it get scary? Does raising the rear spring tension affect this at all?

Is there any experience with leaning to the pegs on wet pavement? Does the bike hold the corner or slide? Finally, I welcome any words of wisdom from anyone who went too far. I just think it is good to know the performance limits, and based on replies, I may go out and practice a bit. Thanks.

·
Registered
197 Posts
ive got stock everything as well--its an ACE 750---i scrape pegs every now and then and the only thing i notice is the noise of the scraping, it will startle you at first but the bike handles fine, if you dont panic---ive never went that far on wet pavement though and would be interested to know as well

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
It should be noted that the amount of lean clearance is different from model to model. Generally anything with floorboards will touch down before anything with pegs, but not always. It should also be noted that there are bikes out there that will touch down on HARD parts first before anything else, and it's those bikes you want to be extra careful about leaning too hard or you'll leverage your wheel off the ground and go into a low side.

In my experience, an Aero 750 was really easy for me to touch down on without even trying. My VLX could lean a bit more which means I could take those sweepers faster than the Aero could if really pushing it. My old VT1100C and my new Magna I have yet to touch down on, but I honestly haven't tried as I just have not had as much time for the recreational riding as of late.

I would not be comfortable pushing a bike to its limits on anything other that dry pavement.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Scraping you peg on a turn really has little to do with the cornering limits of your bike. It's more about the technique you use to corner. If you keep your body upright and lean the bike under you, the pegs will scrape far sooner than if you lean your body into the turn and keep the bike more upright. When riding in the rain it's too hard to predict the road conditions so I would never try to push it to the limit on a turn.

sanoke

·
Registered
506 Posts
I've scraped pegs a few times on my Spirit. Startles me a bit, but it handles it real well. It's usually when I'm going too fast and turning too tight. Doesn't affect anything, though it has me rethinking upgrading to Kuryakyn pegs, just because I don't want to spend that money then scrape them up.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I haven't scraped the pegs on my VLX in a few months now, I kind of figured out the limit on it. I can cut turns pretty well. Doing nice hard rights usually at green lights. If a peg scrapes on most bikes I've learned, it's not an issue really. There's no issue on recovery, you'll turn and lift just as you normally would. I think it acts more of a reminder to the rider: "Anymore and you might fall over." S'what they're designed for in my opinion :p.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I don't scrape, and I don't try. i have cobra engine guards on and they will hit first. They don't fold up, they just lift the bike off the ground.

Mike

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
It should be noted that the amount of lean clearance is different from model to model. Generally anything with floorboards will touch down before anything with pegs, but not always. It should also be noted that there are bikes out there that will touch down on HARD parts first before anything else, and it's those bikes you want to be extra careful about leaning too hard or you'll leverage your wheel off the ground and go into a low side.

In my experience, an Aero 750 was really easy for me to touch down on without even trying. My VLX could lean a bit more which means I could take those sweepers faster than the Aero could if really pushing it. My old VT1100C and my new Magna I have yet to touch down on, but I honestly haven't tried as I just have not had as much time for the recreational riding as of late.

I would not be comfortable pushing a bike to its limits on anything other that dry pavement.
excellent post!

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
If you are dragging a Cruiser you are going too fast. But then some bikes like the don't drag sooner than other. Freinds 750 ACE, drags if you deviate from a straight line. My Spirit will drag stuff, but I have to be pushing very hard.

·
Registered
5,811 Posts
Just about any corner that most riders on this forum would scrap a peg, could be taken on the same bike by a good rider without scraping. As Sanoke said....it's all technique.

Attempting to scrape pegs with a cruiser on a wet road is, at best, a poor idea.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Scraping you peg on a turn really has little to do with the cornering limits of your bike. It's more about the technique you use to corner. If you keep your body upright and lean the bike under you, the pegs will scrape far sooner than if you lean your body into the turn and keep the bike more upright. When riding in the rain it's too hard to predict the road conditions so I would never try to push it to the limit on a turn.

sanoke
This is true. I have always stayed in line with the bike when cornering for the most part. Never tried to get more aggressive by actually moving my body around (something I would do when I'm on the quad).

Thanks BigB! :)

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I have scraped my Spirit in the parking lot going slow a few times. It takes a pretty good lean to do so however. I have never scraped it out riding twisties and I've pushed it pretty good a few times. The Spirit 1100 has quite a bit of cornering clearance. Fast enough to scrape it on a twisty public road is to fast for me. There are just to many dangers to be pushing it that hard on a road with other traffic, potholes, wild life, gravel, and whatever else there may be out there.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
im not into turning that fast on a cruiser it handles ok but the bike would really have to go low too touch my pegs, i use alot of the tires but cant say i have ever dragged the pegs

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I have scraped my Spirit in the parking lot going slow a few times. It takes a pretty good lean to do so however. I have never scraped it out riding twisties and I've pushed it pretty good a few times. The Spirit 1100 has quite a bit of cornering clearance. Fast enough to scrape it on a twisty public road is to fast for me. There are just to many dangers to be pushing it that hard on a road with other traffic, potholes, wild life, gravel, and whatever else there may be out there.

This ^

·
Registered
165 Posts
I drag the pegs from time to time. I have a 750 the heel on my right boot is about wore off LOL...Love the feeling it will scare the &[email protected]$ out of you the first time.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
650 Posts
I dragged mine today. I don't do it on purpose, though, and it scares the crap outta me every time. Certainly NEVER on wet pavement, tho...Wet roads make me very nervous. The first time I scraped them was on a long, sloping on-ramp at 70 ot 80 mph trying to catch up with my squid buddy! There's still a pinch mark in the seat from my a$$!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.